Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem forces up-grade 30D to used 50D

tuit2302
34 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 06, 2013 00:58 |  #1

My situation, I take photos for the local Shrine Center for burned and crippled children. Being its a non-profit organization, nobody makes a dime within the organization. So what I do or get, I pay for myself. During the New Years party my Canon 30D
w/Canon 28-135mm, Canon 580EX flash and BG-E2N grip starting messing up. Push the shutter button down, a second or two later the shutter would fire with long exposure time resulting a very blurred photo. Not knowing what to do, first turned off the flash, no change. then tried taking the batteries out the grip then put back in. Everything worked fine afterwards.
Knowing the most important event of the year was coming up in a few weeks (Potentate/President's Ball) I could not have another camera screw up again so I had to do something pretty quick. Knowing that sending my 30D camera in for repair was not practical, I decided to look for another camera.
I could have bought a new T1i but just did not like the feel of it.
Ended up on eBay. Bought a listed as mint 50D with 1200 shutter actuations, Canon bg-e2n grip, 2 Canon batteries and chargers,Canon 18-55 lens and Canon extended eye piece, bought it last night so have not recieved it yet.
Paid $550 plus a square trade 1 year extended warranty, just in case.
Figured 1200 shutter actuations would probably put it around 2 or 3 years old.
Kind of late to ask, does price sound about right?
Also any Idea what would cause my 30D to go hay wire?
Thanks for your time and thoughts; Hal

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 06, 2013 01:03 |  #2

Not sure about the 50D, but what mode were you shooting in? When I shoot in AV mode, the camera picks a slow shutter speed to compensate for the dark surroundings, regardless of the flash being mounted. You have to be in M mode to set a SS of 1/200 ish and an aperture of your choice. I don't know the technical details well enough to explain this properly, but essentially the flash makes your camera capable of 2 separate exposures, one which is controlled by the on-camera functions, and another controlled by the flash itself. What the camera does in AV or TV mode is that it will meter the scene and expose accordingly, without taking into account the use of flash.

Also, did you ever try your 30D without the battery grip?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2013 04:55 |  #3

I've had similar delayed shutter release issues with both a 30D and 5DII, each time it was because the camera was unknowingly set to some strange "function". Resetting the cameras back to their default settings cured it with both.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Ramon-uk
675 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 06, 2013 05:32 |  #4

The price sounds about right for the 50D, it's a great camera, I'm sure you have done the right thing.

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 09:32 |  #5

The shutter box is failing. Happened to me once, with the 30D, fixed at Canon. The upgrade to the 50D is a good move, you should be happy with it. Price was about right, looking at the ones for sale on the POTN sales forum.

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem forces up-grade 30D to used 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.