Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clearing a DCIM folder in the camera?

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 10:32 |  #1

I've got a 50D and a 7D, and regularly shoot 500-1000 frames over the course of a weekend of cycling events. I've been told that, after I'm done loading all the images onto my computer, doing whatever editing needs doing, and organizing my images on the computer, I should clear my DCIM folder on the CF card rather than formatting the card.

If I've got another file on the card (maybe an enhancement file like Magic Lantern), it makes sense to avoid purging the entire card. I've not tried this approach, and don't even know where to find the folders on the card.

The manual didn't seem to have any info regarding this, and googling didn't produce much, so.......

Can y'all enlighten me a bit?

Thanks!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 06, 2013 10:36 |  #2

Are you using a card reader or connecting the camera via USB cable?

Mark

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 10:38 |  #3

rrblint wrote in post #15451773 (external link)
Are you using a card reader or connecting the camera via USB cable?

Card reader.

---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 06, 2013 10:39 |  #4

With the 7D, I use an extra CF card with ML on it and just delete all images in the camera when I'm done. The other cards get formatted after clearing.

With the 50D and formatting, ML will copy itself to the camera's ram, allow formatting, and then copy itself back to the card.

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 10:46 |  #5

Ay...there's the rub. I dunno how to "delete all images in the camera", short of formatting. I'm sort of a Luddite unless I'm walked through a process. A natural reticence about technology keeps me afraid of it...

---------------

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2013 10:52 |  #6

Simple solution as you are using a card reader on a Computer after copying photos from card to Computer delete from folder on card .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 10:54 as a reply to  @ dpds68's post |  #7

I just KNEW there'd be something simple enough for my poor brain to understand.

Thanks, David!

---------------

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2013 11:00 as a reply to  @ Don Madson's post |  #8

It's even simpler to use the Erase images command in the camera. It's in a blue menu and has some options, depending on camera. Just select to erase all images on the card.

Anders

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2013 11:01 as a reply to  @ dpds68's post |  #9

What your talking about is the quickest way i can think of to ruin a card. Most card failures happen because of what you are trying to do...Improper formatting......FORMAT your card before you start to shoot something, load the images to your computer and back them up......End of discussion

Every time you shoot something, format your card before. Deleting files or clearing a folder is gonna lead to disaster. Reformat the card next time you want to shoot something and follow this proceedure (format,shoot,backup) and You will probably never have a card failure as long as you keep it out of your pocket

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #10

This is all about clearing images while retaining ANOTHER file, such as Magic Lantern. Formatting the card destroys that file. I'm just trying to get a simple way to retain one file while discarding the others.

I've been formatting my cards forever. Now, with the possibility of keeping a file on the card, I'm JUST looking for alternatives. No need for shouting...

---------------

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2013 11:21 as a reply to  @ Don Madson's post |  #11

Besides, Mike is wrong. A lot of people seem to remember, or have heard people talk about, when deleting files instead of formatting could lead to problems. Today's memory cards and associated software is very robust. I never format cards unless I have to (which has never happened so far), because I keep setupfiles and such stuff on the cards as well. I've never encountered any problem, and I've been doing this since 2006, with four different camera bodies.

What Mike is talking about is old stuff. Today you can do what's most convenient for you. Which in this case seems to be the Delete all images command.

Anders

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 06, 2013 11:25 |  #12

I use a card reader.. When I transfer the images from the card to my computer, I use 'move' rather than 'copy'. When you 'move' the images, they're deleted from the card leaving it clear. You can delete DCIM completely when you're done, but it will be recreated as soon as you put your card back in the camera slot and then turn the camera on...

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 06, 2013 11:29 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #13

THAT'S what I needed!

Thanks, Jim_T!

Done here... Thanks, everybody.

---------------

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2013 11:32 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #14

Im not shouting and I guess i would never consider doing something like this. OLD SCHOOL works. We shoot 25 plus weddings each year along with seniors and families plus all the other stuff i like to do. I would never consider something like this. I could not take the chance especially with the cards we use for weddings.

Unless someone has a better way, i would not risk how bulletproof old school is,, just my thoughts

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2013 11:43 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #15

No, it doesn't, if you by old school means formatting all the time.
Then old school deletes the files and folder structure I want to keep on my cards. Formatting would require me to re-create that data on the card each time, an unnecessary process that's likely to be forgotten or introduce errors which don't need to happen.

The only disadvantage deleting all images instead of formatting has is that it's slower. But I choose to do it when I'm not in any hurry, so that's not much of an issue.

So just because the formatting way works for your way of working, Mike, it doesn't mean it works for everybody. It depends upon what you want to accomplish. For the OP, as well as for me, it's clearly inferior to using the delete all images command.

Anders

sponsored links

10,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clearing a DCIM folder in the camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.