Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

portrait studio lighting advice for beginner!

noddy-pecker
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 06, 2013 16:15 |  #1

Hi guys - my first post!
If possible I would like some advice regarding studio lighting. I am planning on purchasing a Canon Speedlight 580ex mkii, however what other lighting would you recomend to get me started - there seems to be so many options and decisions?! Umberellas/ softboxes? Constant/slave lights? How many lights/flashes and what wattage?!

I need to buy and get sorted with them asap as I've promised some friends a photoshoot at the end of this month!

sponsored links
ebjo
39 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2013 17:11 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

You could get two 580's, two tripods, two soft boxes to mount on flash and a camera mounted canon transmitter. Easy and fairly cheap way of doing it.

Rebel, 40D, 7-70 DC macro2.8-4.70-200 2.8 APO Sigma lens, 600EX-RT, 800 mm Bauch and Lomb scope.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 06, 2013 18:52 |  #3

Noddy, welcome to POTN!

Please complete your profile so we have some clue where you're located. Certain brands are only available in certain parts of the world.

I need to buy and get sorted with them asap as I've promised some friends a photoshoot at the end of this month!

Yeah.

That's kind of a problem. You don't learn studio lighting overnight.
Your options are nearly unlimited. However, most local photography stores will carry economy light stands, umbrella brackets and umbrellas that won't set you back too far.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

noddy-pecker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 07, 2013 17:32 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies.
Ebjo - the 580's you mentioned, are you suggesting I use two Canon Speedlight 580's?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 07, 2013 17:40 |  #5

noddy-pecker wrote in post #15453131 (external link)
Hi guys - my first post!
If possible I would like some advice regarding studio lighting. I am planning on purchasing a Canon Speedlight 580ex mkii, however what other lighting would you recomend to get me started - there seems to be so many options and decisions?! Umberellas/ softboxes? Constant/slave lights? How many lights/flashes and what wattage?!

You can do a creditable job with one speedlite, an umbrella and a piece of white foam core for a reflector. There is a page on my tutorial site (see below) that describes how I emulate north window light with a single speedlite. That may be a good place to start.

Have fun.

This was shot with a single speedlite (600EX-RT) in an Apollo Orb knockoff.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

ebjo
39 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2013 17:50 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Yes two 580's can be used together. the settings can be different on each flash for a single picture. One flash could be full power and second could be1/2 or 1/4 which could improve the photo by showing different highlights or bringing out textures and all kinds of interesting things not seen in a plain shot. give Syl Arena a read. he is a flash man.

Rebel, 40D, 7-70 DC macro2.8-4.70-200 2.8 APO Sigma lens, 600EX-RT, 800 mm Bauch and Lomb scope.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 07, 2013 19:02 |  #7

Start reading here:

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …/welcome-to-strobist.html (external link)

and here:

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/2006/03/lightin​g-101.html (external link)

Love that site!

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

1DS
31 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2013 17:21 |  #8

noddy-pecker wrote in post #15458155 (external link)
Thanks for the replies.
Ebjo - the 580's you mentioned, are you suggesting I use two Canon Speedlight 580's?

hello mate, yep, thats what I do, ;)

a 580exII
580ex

on light stands, with Pocket wizards, and if needed ive got a 540ez just incase abit more than two are needed.

I have two umbrellas to go with it. I'll try a pop a couple off when I get chance and send them over.

nice to see you.

http://www.calumetphot​o.co.uk/eng/product//B​W4717UK (external link)

^ they dont look too bad.

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,829 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 28, 2013 16:40 |  #9

noddy-pecker wrote in post #15453131 (external link)
Hi guys - my first post!

Buy Cowboy Studios wireless transmitters. You will not regret it, unless you have a thing for ETTL. I use two convertible umbrellas with a 430EXII and a Yonguno 560. Love the combo.

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 29, 2013 09:19 |  #10

Do you need to have 580 speedlite s, would 430 Mk II s do circa 1/3 the price.
Just thinking u
You could have 2 for less money !
Also what is your camera does it have a built in flash does it support ETTL 2 etc..??

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

1,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
portrait studio lighting advice for beginner!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.