Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS5D MKII and windows 7

Rob-P
79 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 05, 2013 12:28 |  #1

Hello all,

A while ago I posted here asking about an EOS5D MKII, oh look they brought out aMKIII £!000 more typical.

I mentioned I'd have to sell the kids for medical experiments to pay for it, as I will not borrow money in the current economic state (only kidding about the kids)

I now nearly have the £1250 required for a MKII body, Can anyone tell me if the operating system is compatible with Windows 7?

Also What is the largest Memory card it will take?

I still use a venerable 350D (My first digital), but I need to run a Vista machine to download using the Zoom stuff software, Will I have a similar prob, using the MKII software on Windows 7?

Upgrades are a pain.

Thanks in Adv,
anyone who read my previous posts, I bought an F1.4 50mm which is on the 350d, it's a really nice lens ( I got a good deal) so I am looking forward to seeing what it runs like on the 5D MKII.
Thanks for any replies

sponsored links
Lincolnshire ­ Poacher
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 05, 2013 12:48 |  #2

I use W7 with my 5D2 with excellent results. Ithink that the more important question is whether the program you use to download and process shots is compatible. I use Lightroom 4. But I can assure you Canon DPP is also fine as is the excellent freebie Faststone I mage Viewer.

I have no idea whether the camera will support such a big card, although I suspect it will. I use 8Gb cards max as if one misfunctions or I lose one, I can still salvage shots from a shoot.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,760 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 05, 2013 15:19 |  #3

I use 16gb cards with win 7 and my 5d2. No problems.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Rob-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 07, 2013 05:50 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #4

Thanks for the info, I did try mailing Canon, but they are slow, or the mails got spammed.
Ta, R.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2013 07:11 |  #5

I run a 5DII using W7 very comfortably using DPP and Photoshop 7.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

-dave-m-
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2013 08:33 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #6

I don't use Zoom Browser but I haven't had any problems using Win 7 64bit and my 5D MkII. I usually download files with EOS Utility and process with a combination of DPP and Photoshop CS6.

I haven't tried a 256 or 128 Gig card, but they are available(quite pricey). I stick to 16 gig cards, usually a good price point. Also IMO I would rather multiple smaller capacity cards than one large, that way a broken card won't leave you without the ability to shoot.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 07, 2013 12:56 |  #7

There is no issue using the 5DmkII or indeed your 350D with Zoombrowser under Windows 7 (or 8 etc for that matter). You just download the appropriate version of Zoombrowser from the Canon website - whatever is the latest version for your current operating system is backwards compatible all the way back to the original G1 and D30. You don't need to keep a Vista PC just for your 350D, nor do you need to stick with Windows - there are solutions for MAC OS and Linux too.

While Zoombrowser is perfectly OK for downloading your images, you don't actually need any software to get images off the card (via a reader) or from the camera (via cable), just use the facilities already in Windows, the only downside is you would lose automatic rotation of images.

As pointed out above the other issue is processing your images. If you want to use RAW, you can use Photoshop (£££) or Elements (about £30), do make sure you have the appropriate version of Adobe Camera Raw for your camera - or use DPP (provided free with the camera or downloadable from Canon). Alternatively, Lightroom (about £100) does all these things - downloading, processing and much of what you can do in Photoshop but has a rather different way of working. If budget is a problem, you can use GIMP which is open source, free software that does much of what Photoshop does, but will not handle RAW - you will need to use DPP in that case. You may be able to educational prices for Adobe software by using your kids' names (providing they survive the experiments).

Don't get hung up on this. The 5Dmk2 is a superb camera that can produce images of the highest quality. Its jpeg output is very good. RAW output is even better but there is a learning curve to that. Plenty of advice on this forum - and in the post-processing & printing forum.

16Gb CF cards are fine in the 5DmkII, and your 50/1.4 is an ideal lens - equivalent to L quality - you will now be using all its glass! Remember it will be a wider, "standard" lens on your 5DmkII whereas it was effectively a longer, "portrait" lens on the 350D.

Good luck
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

Rob-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 08, 2013 04:34 as a reply to  @ puttick's post |  #8

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Dr Nigel.

As of this am, I have the latest version of ZoomBrowser on the Win7 64 bit machine. When I plug the 350d into a USB, it will not detect the camera. None of the acquire settings work, nor does the remote control work, when I try acquire I see a popup saying cannot detect camera.

This all works fine on the Vista version ( I use 2 pcs for work, on a KVM, so it's not a prob, I would just prefer using the 350 on the Win 7 machine as it is the main one)

I've tried pc connect and print connect options on the camera, and cannot detect it at all.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Rob.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,000 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 08, 2013 08:08 |  #9

The Canon utilities also work with Windows 8, though I did need to install a .net framework update patch to get the EOS utility to work. No problems in the past on either Vista or Win 7 on my laptop.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 08, 2013 08:55 |  #10

Rob-P wrote in post #15460237 (external link)
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Dr Nigel.

As of this am, I have the latest version of ZoomBrowser on the Win7 64 bit machine. When I plug the 350d into a USB, it will not detect the camera. None of the acquire settings work, nor does the remote control work, when I try acquire I see a popup saying cannot detect camera.

This all works fine on the Vista version ( I use 2 pcs for work, on a KVM, so it's not a prob, I would just prefer using the 350 on the Win 7 machine as it is the main one)

I've tried pc connect and print connect options on the camera, and cannot detect it at all.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Rob.

Rob -
The 'Old Faithful' for image download is 'EOS Utility'. That would be my first choice for image d/l.

I believe that Canon is moving away from ZB support and is now promoting 'Image Browser'. You might give that a try.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 08, 2013 09:20 |  #11

For download of images just take out the card and put into a reader, presumably you have a CF reader in your PC or can attach one. If you don't actually need to connect to the camera via USB, then you have no problem. but if control of the camera is essential you will need a driver (as with any device). I would have thought ZoomBrowser would include this (latest appears to be 6.7.2) but you may need EOS utility installed as well.

EOS utility doesn't appear under the software download page for the 350D, but is on the page for the 5DmkII (or on your CD - to be honest that is the best way as often you cannot install the update if there isn't an earlier version already there)
http://software.canon-europe.com/software/00​39363.asp?model= (external link)

The latest version of EOS utility appears to be 2.9.0 but a note on the page suggests using 2.7 with the 350D among others. I can find this here (2.7.3):
http://www.canon.co.uk …7693&page=4&typ​e=download (external link)

Try installing that and see if you can now connect to the 350D under EOS utility.

Failing that you can run a virtual Windows XP under Win 7 (not tried this!).

Nigel

PS ImageBrowser EX for Windows (replacement for ZoomBrowser) doesn't appear to support the 350D (and some others) according to the Canon webpage
http://www.canon.co.uk …8867&page=2&typ​e=download (external link)

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 08, 2013 10:11 |  #12

puttick wrote in post #15460871 (external link)
For download of images just take out the card and put into a reader, presumably you have a CF reader in your PC or can attach one. If you don't actually need to connect to the camera via USB, then you have no problem. but if control of the camera is essential you will need a driver (as with any device). I would have thought ZoomBrowser would include this (latest appears to be 6.7.2) but you may need EOS utility installed as well.

ImageBrowser EX for Windows (replacement for ZoomBrowser) doesn't appear to support the 350D (and some others) according to the Canon webpage

Control options on the 350D are pretty limited, but my experience confirms that later versions of Canon software don't like it. You do need EOS Utility for this purpose. My 5D2 works perfectly with Windows 7 and also OS-X on the Mac.

As Nigel says, a card reader is a much neater way to download images. I use a couple of inexpensive ones. Just take care when taking the cards in and out to avoid bending the pins in the camera.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,000 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 09, 2013 05:39 |  #13

I can confirm that the EOS utility and the most recent version of DPP will work with both Win 7 and Win 8 and the 5Dii. I needed to update the software last night on both computers for my 5D to work and they both updated and connected fine.

sponsored links

1,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS5D MKII and windows 7
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.