Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 22:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First "paid" job! Comments & criticism welcome!

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 06, 2013 22:06 |  #1

An acquaintance wanted a "Christmas portrait." He asked how much I would charge and I told him "whatever you think the result is worth."

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/OqX6tl.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://i.imgur.com/OqX​6t.jpg  (external link)

I sat him down and just started talking to him until I elicited a genuine smile.

I'm at the point now where I humbly believe I'm capable of producing work with actual value.

Or am I deluding myself?

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

sponsored links
juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 06, 2013 23:43 |  #2

Looks nice and sharp, good lighting, expression. My critical comments are on the composition - his face is too close to the left which makes him look even more like he is slouching or leaning over. Is it cropped? That and the background is distracting. My art teach from third grade always made it a point to close your eyes then open them - and what's the first thing you see, in other words what are your eyes drawn to. For me, the blurry lights in the background are what I see. Of course, it is Christmas so the theme may be more acceptable.

Have you show this to your acquaintance yet?

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

LostArk
THREAD ­ STARTER
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2013 01:10 |  #3

juicedownload wrote in post #15454927 (external link)
Looks nice and sharp, good lighting, expression. My critical comments are on the composition - his face is too close to the left which makes him look even more like he is slouching or leaning over. Is it cropped? That and the background is distracting. My art teach from third grade always made it a point to close your eyes then open them - and what's the first thing you see, in other words what are your eyes drawn to. For me, the blurry lights in the background are what I see. Of course, it is Christmas so the theme may be more acceptable.

Have you show this to your acquaintance yet?

He's thrilled with it and paid me $100.

I only cropped a little off the top to make it 8 x 10. When shooting I tried to follow the rule of thirds, but perhaps I should have put his right eye on that point instead of his left? I chose that background on purpose for the Christmas theme. I couldn't get it any darker because I was bouncing flash off the ceiling and it was hitting the tree as well. Thank you for the tip about closing your eyes and then opening them, I never thought of that, I will certainly try it! Thanks for the input!

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 07, 2013 08:51 |  #4

I think it's a good photograph. I like the bokeh with the Christmas lights. I think it works here. I'd recrop him so he's more to the right. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,394 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 07, 2013 08:56 as a reply to  @ HiepBuiPhotography's post |  #5

Nice shot. I would have set it up so there was a little gap between his head and the lights, just to avoid distracting overlaps. Apart from that a nice Christmas shot.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 07, 2013 13:11 |  #6

Nice shot. Portraits like this should be centered-ish or at least not have that much space behind his head but it's sharp and I love the lights in the back.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 07, 2013 16:21 |  #7

I like it.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 07, 2013 20:32 |  #8

$100 is a killer price for a single photo especially for a someone who doesn't do it for money. In your case, the name a price negotiation worked out quite well. I remember when I made $325 dollars from 10 minutes of photography and 30 minutes of review and sales, and thought, wow if only I could consistently do this. I think you have good potential, the hard part is not so much the photography, but marketing a price that will enable a sustainable business.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 08, 2013 06:03 |  #9

I sold my first photo to some Va Bch tourist place on the strip for $500. They absolutely loved it and wanted rights for the photo.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 08, 2013 06:43 |  #10

Solid shot! Congrats!

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Praverb ­ Dot ­ Net
221 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 08, 2013 21:58 |  #11

I like the shot, the lights could be a distraction yet they are not the main attraction. Love the genuine expression. Good work.

Praverb Dot Net (external link)
Camera Body: Canon T3i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm 1.4

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 08, 2013 22:23 |  #12

This is a very nice photograph.
I feel like you captured your subject in a genuine, real way.
Good luck on getting more "paid" jobs!

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 09, 2013 19:58 |  #13

It's kind of hard to tell that it's a Christmas tree behind him, to my eyes. And the rule of thirds for single person portraits doesn't always hold up because of a singular subject. Two people or more it holds up well. Possibly some Christmas props could have been more effective than the tree behind him.

dr1ft
284 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2013 12:47 |  #14

Good shot, especially with glasses involved.

-Vik
http://www.sejvik.com (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2013 08:34 |  #15

Congrats on your first paid job. This year looks to be good for me too. Already have two authors lined up for book profiles and a few kids parties to do.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

sponsored links

2,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
First "paid" job! Comments & criticism welcome!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.