Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Peak Designs just announced The Leash on Kickstarter

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 25, 2012 21:22 |  #61

^thanks for the assist on the pic.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 27, 2012 16:20 |  #62

Has anyone attached one of the connectors to the camera using a standard arca-swiss plate (not the one that comes with the capture clip)? With no attachment point on the side of the plate or on the bolt, the only other options leave the plate not quite flush with the bottom of the camera.

gremlin75 wrote in post #15406490 (external link)
For those who might be reading this and don't what the letters refer to when it comes to the points of attachment then here you go.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Peak leash points (external link) by gremlin75 (external link), on Flickr

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Daphatty
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 27, 2012 18:17 |  #63

Mark-B wrote in post #15413526 (external link)
Has anyone attached one of the connectors to the camera using a standard arca-swiss plate (not the one that comes with the capture clip)? With no attachment point on the side of the plate or on the bolt, the only other options leave the plate not quite flush with the bottom of the camera.

That makes sense to me. I can't think of a single tripod plate that would be able to accommodate these quick release dongles without some sort of modification. Were you expecting otherwise?

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 27, 2012 19:19 |  #64

Thanks for the headsup on these. The Leash and Capture Clip seem to be the solutions I've been looking for for a while (for climbing photography).

The clip lets me mount the camera securely to my harness but keeps it accessible, and the Leash acts as a safety backup and tether for when I'm holding the camera at height. I also like how you can put the camera back in the capture clip to hold it while changing lenses - lifesaver..!

I ordered a Capture Clip and pre-ordered a Leash, I'm looking forward to trying them out. I can see uses for the Cuff too, so may end up getting one of those too if the system works out well in practice.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,496 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 27, 2012 22:04 |  #65

Mark-B wrote in post #15413526 (external link)

"Standard" plate from which manufacturer? There isn't, really, a 'standard' for them. My Markins plates have a slot on them for attaching a wrist strap, as do others.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 28, 2012 07:23 |  #66

Interesting product. Looks promising for a sling strap.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2013 09:44 |  #67

Just got mine last week and my initial impression is that for me it's not a great fit with the 7D and grip, the weight with a bigger lens makes the Leash cut into my shoulder.

For a smaller camera like my Samsung NX100 it works quite well, was wondering how owners with heavier equipment are liking it?

Joel

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,832 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2013 09:51 |  #68

I have used it with a 5DII-ungripped and a 135 for a couple hours.
It was comfortable, but I had a jacket on. I liked it.
Have not tested with a T-shirt or light clothing.

Juan

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2013 11:31 |  #69

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15456183 (external link)
Just got mine last week and my initial impression is that for me it's not a great fit with the 7D and grip, the weight with a bigger lens makes the Leash cut into my shoulder.

For a smaller camera like my Samsung NX100 it works quite well, was wondering how owners with heavier equipment are liking it?

It's horrible as a standard neck strap with the camera hanging in the center of your chest no matter what gear you have on there. I never carry my camera like that anyway, so I don't care.

The heaviest gear I have used is a 5D II + 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I thought it was perfectly comfortable in sling mode. Strap on one shoulder with camera hanging on the opposite side of my body is how I always carry my camera even with the default Canon straps.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,496 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2013 11:45 |  #70

One of the biggest things for me has been the discovery that I can use this as a sling and secure both the camera body AND my 100-400. Because of the way the body hangs, I've had issues in the past with something in my pocket depressing the lens release button and had the lens come loose while walking. With this system, I can catch both items and they don't have anywhere to fall.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2013 12:18 |  #71

juanpafer wrote in post #15456210 (external link)
I have used it with a 5DII-ungripped and a 135 for a couple hours.
It was comfortable, but I had a jacket on. I liked it.
Have not tested with a T-shirt or light clothing.

Mark-B wrote in post #15456566 (external link)
It's horrible as a standard neck strap with the camera hanging in the center of your chest no matter what gear you have on there. I never carry my camera like that anyway, so I don't care.

The heaviest gear I have used is a 5D II + 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I thought it was perfectly comfortable in sling mode. Strap on one shoulder with camera hanging on the opposite side of my body is how I always carry my camera even with the default Canon straps.

I was using it sling style with no jacket on, maybe my shoulders are too wimpy. :D

Joel

John333
85 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2013 13:35 |  #72

did anyone else get the Dualplate for their capture? Mine does not fit on my Manfrotto clamps (plate is slightly too big). Wondering if I just got a bad one...

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 07, 2013 15:33 |  #73

Ordering a set tomorrow. Wish I saw this sooner. Would have got the full deal. Would love another capture but oh well. Need that Manfrotto plate too.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 07, 2013 15:49 |  #74

Any canadians received their leash yet? or a shipping notice or something ?

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

GroWeb
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2013 18:18 |  #75

Csae wrote in post #15457751 (external link)
Any canadians received their leash yet? or a shipping notice or something ?

I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't received mine yet, but Canadian customs is sometimes very slow in processing such items at the border.

sponsored links

18,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
Peak Designs just announced The Leash on Kickstarter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.