Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

External Sound Recorders

STI
48 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2013 18:44 |  #1

Which do you use? I like the idea of an external MIC, but when I searched, I also saw the benefits of having a sound recorder located away from the camera.

Thanks

sponsored links
ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2013 11:56 |  #2

I have a Tascam DR-100 that I have used for a while now and love. Its very tough and durable. Provides many power options and is fairly quiet. Meaning noise floor, its lower than most small, handheld recorders. Better preamps and electronics. Now the DR-100 and the DR-100 Mk II are larger than most other recorders out there and that might be a drawback for some. Its roughly 1 and a half the size of a Zoom H4n, but I feel the DR-100 is a better recorder.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 07, 2013 14:48 |  #3

ChasWG wrote in post #15456646 (external link)
I have a Tascam DR-100 that I have used for a while now and love. Its very tough and durable. Provides many power options and is fairly quiet. Meaning noise floor, its lower than most small, handheld recorders. Better preamps and electronics.

I can vouch for that, the DR-100 has a much cleaner front end than say the H4N.

Now the DR-100 and the DR-100 Mk II are larger than most other recorders out there and that might be a drawback for some. Its roughly 1 and a half the size of a Zoom H4n, but I feel the DR-100 is a better recorder.

Personally I think bigger is better as these devices are already prone to fitting into some wankers pocket and growing legs so if being a little larger deters that I am all for it.

And as mentioned being able to swap batteries without powering the unit down is real nice as batteries always seem to pick the worst time to take a dump.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2013 15:27 |  #4

The DR-100 MK II is def the least expensive option I would recommend. If you want to bump it up another notch check out the Marantz PMD661.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,597 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 07, 2013 17:13 |  #5

I LOVE my DR-100 MKII. I thought I loved the smaller DR-07 MKII that I also own, but compared to the DR-100 MKII, this feels like a toy. I for one actually like the size and its built-quality. What I appreciate the most about is the low noise floor of the DR-100 MKII. I was using this for a videotaping yesterday when I noticed that the built-in rechargeable lithium battery level indicator was very low, but I went ahead with the taping knowing that its other battery power source (AA batteries) will take over.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2013 18:42 |  #6

A mic on its own, without a JuicedLink, or ML at the very least, isn't a great deal of use. Even with ML you can get caught out and find the camera mic is doing more work than the pluged in mic (Got that t-shirt).

A remote recorder, on the other hand, is dependable and reliable. The pic up patern of the on board mics may not be ideal for every situation (so plug in a mic), but there is far more control and endless posibilities.

Plugging a mic into the camera is fine if you are after a bit of extra audio when it doesn't really mater. If you need the audio then a remote recorder is a much safer option.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 07, 2013 21:14 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #7

I've been using the Zoom H4N to capture ambient sounds with its onboard mics and its two XLR inputs to capture various other audio equipment, either mics or line-level signals from a mixer. The camera's onboard mics are only used for synchronizing the tracks from the H4N to the video track in Premiere CS6. I've had good luck with this setup recording live music performances of my wife's group.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2013 04:55 |  #8

DR-100 mkII lover here too.
Anyone that owns this device should consider getting the add on battery pack.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2013 07:38 |  #9

i have a juicedlink dt454 feeding the line in of a sony pcm-m10. i like the portability and flexibility. if separate sound is problematic, i run the juicedlink straight into the camera.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 08, 2013 08:33 as a reply to  @ mizer357's post |  #10

I use a Zoom H4N but just bougth a Zoom R24 with 8 inputs and 24 track recording.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Rotorhead
77 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2013 21:51 |  #11

BioSci wrote in post #15459061 (external link)
I've been using the Zoom H4N to capture ambient sounds with its onboard mics and its two XLR inputs to capture various other audio equipment, either mics or line-level signals from a mixer. The camera's onboard mics are only used for synchronizing the tracks from the H4N to the video track in Premiere CS6. I've had good luck with this setup recording live music performances of my wife's group.

I hve been looking in CS6 for a VU track to "see" a spike to sink my TASCAM DR 40 to the video track. Have tried to "listen for the clapboard" to sink, but never get it perfect. Anybody else seen the VU track? I find nothing in any of the cs 6 help menus to confirm if it even exists????

Trout ­ Bum
509 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2013 12:21 as a reply to  @ Rotorhead's post |  #12

Marantz PMD661 floats my boat...

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2013 20:48 as a reply to  @ Trout Bum's post |  #13

Sound Devices 702t. Ultra clean and neutral preamps. The "t" model has the timecode feature. They're about $2400 and built like a tank. Only ones that are better, sound quality and feature wise, would be the Nagra but those are much more expensive.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 14, 2013 10:49 |  #14

PM01, hell if you're going to go that route, why stop at only a two channel recorder? Lets go whole hog here and get a 788T!

But something tells me that the OP wasn't planning on going the full on production sound recorder route and spending $2400. And besides, Time Code is useless to a DSLR unless you can feed it into one of the cameras two tracks and use the other as a scratch track for sync. Possible, but very complicated for most. Especially when a copy of PluralEyes is only $150 or so and will do pretty much everything you need owning a smaller, less expensive audio recorder.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sound Devices gear. I own some myself, but I bet the OP doesn't have the money or desire to spend that much on a recorder.

Personally Im looking at the new 664! :D

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 15, 2013 10:48 as a reply to  @ ChasWG's post |  #15

664 is a sweet piece. Only thing is that I use the 24/192 recording feature on the 702t for orchestra music. If the 664 had that, I would buy it yesterday!

sponsored links

2,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
External Sound Recorders
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.