Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 29 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Converting Canon files to PROres for Premiere

AAphotog
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 29, 2012 11:57 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Ok, I have 2 basic setups. 1 iMac(basic but upgraded to 12gb ram) and 1 macbook pro 15.4"(basic not retina)

My question is, I am running CS6 and would like to do some video work in Premiere.
Would it be a good idea to convert all of my footage to prores?
I know that Premiere Pro accepts the footage natively, but my system lags a bit when doing grading and playback in Premiere. Would things go much smoother if I were to convert my footage first to Prores?
Also, would I be loosing a bit of quality of my footage when converting? Is it worth it?

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

sponsored links
AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 03, 2013 23:05 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

No one converts before editing?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 07, 2013 03:53 |  #3

FWIW, I'm dabbling with the 30-day trial of Premiere Pro right now and footage from my 1DMkIVs dumped in and worked as is.

Same with the basic timeline in Photoshop CS6

Didn't transcode anything before editing.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 07, 2013 21:16 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #4

I'm using a MacBookPro 15.4 (retina) and CS6. I just take the video tracks off my card into Premiere without any conversion. The tracks play back smoothly even with lots of filters and effects, and the resulting video looks great even on a large-screen plasma TV.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 07, 2013 21:43 |  #5

I could not tell you exactly how to do it, but it is possible to create low res versions of your video files, use those to edit, then replace with the high res versions before you export.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2013 04:54 |  #6

why would you convert the footage when canon dslr footage works natively with premiere pro?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Kentaro
422 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 08, 2013 13:09 |  #7

ChadAndreo wrote in post #15460278 (external link)
why would you convert the footage when canon dslr footage works natively with premiere pro?

This. After some struggling with 6D footage with FCP I switched over the Premier Pro and everything works much more smoothly. I'd assume all footage from Canon HDSLRs would apply.

[6D X (17-40 // 50 // 35 // 70-200)]

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2013 14:28 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #15455414 (external link)
FWIW, I'm dabbling with the 30-day trial of Premiere Pro right now and footage from my 1DMkIVs dumped in and worked as is.

Same with the basic timeline in Photoshop CS6

Didn't transcode anything before editing.

Yes, my footage works as is as well. The problem is, how smooth it looks.

BioSci wrote in post #15459079 (external link)
I'm using a MacBookPro 15.4 (retina) and CS6. I just take the video tracks off my card into Premiere without any conversion. The tracks play back smoothly even with lots of filters and effects, and the resulting video looks great even on a large-screen plasma TV.

I am NOT using the retina macbook pro. I am using I believe a 2009 macbook pro, and I believe an early 2011 iMac 21.5" (upgraded to 12gb ram). My playback without adding any effects even jerks every few seconds with the native 5d3 footage

Heath wrote in post #15459191 (external link)
I could not tell you exactly how to do it, but it is possible to create low res versions of your video files, use those to edit, then replace with the high res versions before you export.

I'll have to do some research on how to accomplish that

ChadAndreo wrote in post #15460278 (external link)

Read the replies above. My footage jerks without an edits. With the edits, my footage playback is REALLY slow and jerky(using the cameras native footage)

Since everyone seems to have such smooth playback, maybe my settings are wrong???
what resolution is everyone playing back their clips with? quarter, half, full

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 08, 2013 16:51 |  #9

Heath wrote in post #15459191 (external link)

This is called "offline" editing and has its place where the file sizes are gigantic (think uncompressed HD) and back when it was more practical to digitize a tape at low-res and then do the "online" (or final) edit by batch capturing at high quality.

As to the question about why would you transcode, H.264 is a delivery format and not ideal for editing. If you are doing this commercially, there is value in transcoding to an editing format as it will hold up under processing better. It does add another step to the workflow though.

There are tools like this that are made for this purpose:
http://rarevision.com/​5dtorgb/ (external link)

However, in the OP's case it sounds like some sort of performance issue with the application or laptop that is causing the jerky playback.

OP - can you play back the files in Quicktime without any issue? Check the Adobe documentation to see if you require a specific version of Quicktime to match your Premiere version.

Getting an editing system setup is like voodoo, you need a specific computer with a specific graphics card with a specific driver to match the application version. Update one piece and you may very well have to do it all over again.

Joel

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2013 20:36 |  #10

AAphotog wrote in post #15462147 (external link)
Yes, my footage works as is as well. The problem is, how smooth it looks.

I am NOT using the retina macbook pro. I am using I believe a 2009 macbook pro, and I believe an early 2011 iMac 21.5" (upgraded to 12gb ram). My playback without adding any effects even jerks every few seconds with the native 5d3 footage

I'll have to do some research on how to accomplish that

Read the replies above. My footage jerks without an edits. With the edits, my footage playback is REALLY slow and jerky(using the cameras native footage)

Since everyone seems to have such smooth playback, maybe my settings are wrong???
what resolution is everyone playing back their clips with? quarter, half, full

If your cpu is up to par, most likely its your settings. just use the DSLR sequence preset with the correct frame rate.
BTW, If you are using the trial version, your version might be missing some of the key codecs for dslr footage.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 08, 2013 20:44 |  #11

AAphotog wrote in post #15462147 (external link)

A Macbook that old is going to be Core 2 Duo based, something that was never envisaged for HD video editing.
2011 was a change over year for the iMac, is it a dual core, or quad core model?
If it is a dual core model it will also suffer under HD video.

You will also find that the AMD video card in the iMac is doing nothing in Premier Pro, as it is only able to make use of a select number of Nvidia cards.

Finnaly, the Macbook and 21.5in iMac only have 5400rpm hard drives in them, which maybe to slow.

Have you tried Final Cut Pro X?
It is less of a resource hog than Premier pro and is able to leverage the graphics card in your iMac.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

dfinn
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 09, 2013 18:14 |  #12

I used to convert when I used FCPX, no need to anymore with PP.

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 09, 2013 18:17 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Moppie wrote in post #15463766 (external link)
A Macbook that old is going to be Core 2 Duo based, something that was never envisaged for HD video editing.
2011 was a change over year for the iMac, is it a dual core, or quad core model?
If it is a dual core model it will also suffer under HD video.

You will also find that the AMD video card in the iMac is doing nothing in Premier Pro, as it is only able to make use of a select number of Nvidia cards.

Finnaly, the Macbook and 21.5in iMac only have 5400rpm hard drives in them, which maybe to slow.

Have you tried Final Cut Pro X?
It is less of a resource hog than Premier pro and is able to leverage the graphics card in your iMac.

The iMac is a 3.06GHz Intel Core i3
You are also correct in mentioning it has a 5400rpm drive

The macbook also has the same drive with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor.

Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 09, 2013 22:43 |  #14

AAphotog wrote in post #15467990 (external link)
The iMac is a 3.06GHz Intel Core i3
You are also correct in mentioning it has a 5400rpm drive

The macbook also has the same drive with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor.

Theres your problem :cool:

Forget about the macbook, it will never be fast.

Changing the drive in the iMac to a 7200rpm drive, or using a thunderbolt external drive will help.
But, you still can't leverage the GPU on it with Premier Pro, and may find that the only way to edit smoothly is with Final Cut Pro X, or try Premier Elements.

Ideally you need an i5 or i7 based computer with some fast hard drives.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2013 23:23 |  #15

I'm assuming it is only in your preview, not when saved; mine does that all the time with Premiere Elements 10, and I've wrestled it through 2 2 hour DVDs, switching between 7 cameras (in the last one, 5 in the first). It is just the computer not being fast enough to handle the processing load to generate the preview on the spot. Saving should be fine.
Just check that your project settings are on DSLR, with the right FPS. (29.97 for me; shows 30).

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links

2,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Converting Canon files to PROres for Premiere
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.