Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2013 (Monday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does the box really matter?

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,889 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 08, 2013 13:00 |  #61

I feel better when I buy from someone off of Craigslist when they have the original box and the original accessories.

It lends more evidence suggesting that the lens or camera was not stolen. If a camera is being sold as body, battery, card and charger with no cables, no box, no manual, no cd... it sounds like someone got their backpack hijacked.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Ryan0751
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 08, 2013 13:05 |  #62

I don't keep any of it. No manuals, cards, DVD's. All gone!

When you live in the city, space is at a premium. If you don't use it, get rid of it!

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ryanruel (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 08, 2013 13:11 as a reply to  @ Ryan0751's post |  #63

The great thing is that all the boxes quickly fold up quite nicely. All my boxes and manuals/CDs, etc can fit in a Hammermill box. Now things I don't use like the L pouches, etc take up the most room.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2013 13:12 |  #64

I sell quite a few things on Craigslist and in my experience people have offered me $50 less for a lens or camera because it doesnt have a box. Now about half the people who inquire do not care. But there are a few people that value the box. I keep my boxes as it doesnt get in my way and it looks kinda cool seeing all those camera and lens boxes in a closet it reminds me of walking into a camera store haha.

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 08, 2013 13:16 as a reply to  @ post 15460447 |  #65

i can attest, as someone who wont buy used anything without the original packaging. the original packaging matters a lot. i will pay a lot more for an item with its original packaging, because then you know you're getting everything. at the same time, as has been stated earlier, it shows that someone took care of the box, so they probably took care of the lens as well. also, more often than not, the original owner will have the box. a lens that has traded hands several times is very unlikely to have a box with it. im more likely to believe your story that "you only used it a few times and never got into it", if you have a box to back it up. just a personal preference, but i wouldn't buy a lens without a box, i'd just as soon buy new. i know many people have probably scored amazing lenses without a box, but it's just not for me. personal preference. nothing wrong with either philosophy.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 08, 2013 13:57 |  #66

El Pedro wrote in post #15460129 (external link)
I keep my boxes for the simple reason when it's time to sell it's a lot easier to package something up for postage in the original boxes.

And it also reassures the buyer that the lens will, at the least, be packed in an inner box that was designed to protect lenses very well from bumping about.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 08, 2013 14:03 |  #67

manderson wrote in post #15460739 (external link)
I would keep them if I had the room. Keeping a camera box with all CDs, manuals, cables, etc. is different from the OP's original question: "Do you actually get more money for a used lens if you have the box?"

I seriously doubt the lens boxes noted on eBay are selling in volumes, if at all.

However, I can see the advantage of having the box for resale, but it is merely psychological. I have all of the original receipts? Will receipts improve my resale value?

Original boxes and paperwork are only of serious value to collectors; i.e. Hummels, collectible firearms, etc. I am certain there are camera collectors out there looking for original 1936 Hansa boxes and paperwork.

my guess is you will. i also buy and sell and collect watches. do a search on ebay and see how much rolex and panerai boxes sell for. i think you'll be surprised. small details like rolex hologram stickers and hang tags also sell individually and will enhance price when included with a watch and box.

i personally don't care about lens and camera boxes but i do save mine. i think having the complete package for resale shows some people that you take better care of your equipment, even if that is not necessarily the case.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2013 16:07 |  #68

I am with SVTmaniac on this, if all things are equal I would go with the lens that comes with the original box and documentation. RHChan84 and kin2son both make good points too. As some have said, if space is an issue, you have to get rid of the boxes. I personally have space to store the boxes, so I save them. There's a guy on Craigslist right now selling camera and lens boxes. Here's what he's asking. Unsure if he's getting what he's asking, but if he's getting close to that I might sell my boxes as well. I'm into guns, and some gun people actually collect gun, and bullet boxes, even new gun boxes sell for $25 each. -rick

Canon Camera Boxes for Sale. 5D Mk111 With Manuals $50, 1DX (2) $95EA.
24-70 MK11 $45, 70-200 2.8 MK11 $45, 200 2.8 MK11 $45, 24 1.4 MK11,$45,
70-300 IS $35, 50 1.2, $45, 85 1.2MK11, $45 580 EX 11 BOX, MANUAL, STAND $25
24-105 $45, Leave phone number if interested.

SVTmaniac wrote in post #15459219 (external link)
I take excellent care of my gear, and part of that is keeping all of it's original boxes, instructions and accessories. When it comes time to buy used gear I only buy from people who are like me as I know they are more likely to have taken proper care of their stuff. I'm not saying people who throw the boxes away don't take good care of their stuff but it's harder for me to believe it if they can't even keep the box it came in.

RHChan84 wrote in post #15459286 (external link)
I keep them so if I decided to sell them, the box with the styrofoam is a good start to pack the item.

kin2son wrote in post #15459342 (external link)
You might not get more from your sale, but I think having the box definitely makes it easier to sell than one without.

Imo box is part of the product. If you are in the market to buy a lens, and you come across 2 sellers selling the same lens, similar condition and price. One comes with box and all its accessories and one without. Which one would you choose?

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Eiro
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2013 16:17 |  #69

Little pretty box dictates the final selling price. lol. How sad! It's the glass that matters not the carton.

Get out and shoot

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 08, 2013 16:41 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

Eiro wrote in post #15462639 (external link)
Little pretty box dictates the final selling price. lol. How sad! It's the glass that matters not the carton.

Yep, some have a screwed up view on priorities.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 08, 2013 16:46 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

I have the 135L box and 200 2.8L boxes and have sold both lenses. Both boxes contain the plastic bag, both styrofoam lens holders and the manual. The 200 also has the warranty card. Keep in mind that the serial number on my box will NOT match your lens, unless something really weird has happened. I also have the original box and inclusions for a 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM lens. All or any of it is available to the first one who will pay the postage to get it. I'd appreciate a couple of bucks to cover printing a label and taking it to the PO. No more than $2, please. USPS Parcel Post will cost you $5.35.

The 135L has already been tentatively spoken for. EDIT: I am not listing these in the SELL forum.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 08, 2013 16:48 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #72

Someone who keeps the box, original manuals, lens bag, original CD, even the plastic wraps that adorn the lenses from the factory, appears to care just that little bit more, than the person who doesn't.

It's expensive equipment, why insult or mock someone's priorities for caring enough to keep everything? :hammer:

flickr (external link)

manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 08, 2013 17:12 |  #73

alazgr8 wrote in post #15462596 (external link)
I'm into guns, and some gun people actually collect gun, and bullet boxes, even new gun boxes sell for $25 each. -rick

Same here, which is why I got a little passionate with this thread. The original box means everything to a gun collector; even a correct box with wrong serial number is better than no box at all. Lots of counterfeit Colt and S&W boxes being passed off as original. If anything, this thread has made me rethink keeping my lens boxes, not only for resale value, but because "good glass" retains value, who's to say, I might have an out-of-production lens 20 years from now that's worth a lot more with the original box and paperwork.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2013 17:45 |  #74

cdifoto wrote in post #15461211 (external link)
You don't need to sell the exact same thing. You can have the experience of sales in general. I have sold a lot of stuff (not just lenses) and the stuff with its box and contents always moves quicker and higher than other sellers with the same thing in the same condition without.

Try this:

"Lens for sale. Great condition, yadda yadda yadda. Will ship without retail box if desired, just ask. No discount for excluding the box though."

See how many people actually ask you to ditch the box. It is psychological? Of course it is. The lens doesn't operate worse without the box. It's not soft without the box. It doesn't AF slower without the box. But that's really the whole point isn't it? All these little things like boxes and documentation and good photos add up to the buying experience and people do pay more when they get the whole kit and know exactly what it's going to be like when it arrives.

Not to get too pedantic, but for TRUE results, yes. You need to sell the exact same lenses in the same market at the same time. One with a box, one without. Only THEN can you truly know the effect of a box or lack thereof has on your sale. Every other way has too many variables and therefore the results can't be positively attributed to any one of them. As I've pointed out (and I used to be a believer of the box myth), I've had lightning fast sales at high prices for stuff without boxes, and other stuff I'm trying to sell isn't moving, despite the box and a much more attractive price.

I never said people don't want the box...the point I'm arguing is the assertion many are making on here that you get MORE MONEY for a lens with a box. Try putting up two identical lenses in the same market, one for a higher price with a box. See what happens. As I've said, if you put them up for the same price, I can see the boxed one going faster. But not for more money.

EDIT: This is of course not true for vintage stuff...I had two motor drives for my AE-1s...sold both of them at the same time, one had a case and the original retail box, the other was just the drive. I asked more money for the boxed one and got more money...in fact, I sold them both to the same guy haha. But vintage stuff is a whole different kettle of fish.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2013 17:55 |  #75

manderson wrote in post #15462896 (external link)
Same here, which is why I got a little passionate with this thread. The original box means everything to a gun collector; even a correct box with wrong serial number is better than no box at all. Lots of counterfeit Colt and S&W boxes being passed off as original. If anything, this thread has made me rethink keeping my lens boxes, not only for resale value, but because "good glass" retains value, who's to say, I might have an out-of-production lens 20 years from now that's worth a lot more with the original box and paperwork.

For something like that you generally have to start with an incredibly rare lens. Do you have something that's already rare at the time of its production?

Within your lifetime none of this stuff will be worth much.

Look at box prices for out of production FD lenses (they stopped making them in '87, I believe)...they're worth next to nothing.

If it's "what it's worth in 20 years" you're after, perhaps a bottle of scotch or wine would be a safer investment ;)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

10,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does the box really matter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.