Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

Bazinga
362 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 31, 2012 22:46 |  #1081

I'm leaning towards the panasonic 25mm 1.4 right now. Speed and a useful indoor focal length and im sure the af is fast enough for my needs.

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 31, 2012 22:48 |  #1082

Bazinga wrote in post #15429681 (external link)
I'm leaning towards the panasonic 25mm 1.4 right now. Speed and a useful indoor focal length and im sure the af is fast enough for my needs.

Great choice.

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2013 12:48 |  #1083

Has anyone tried a Canon flash with the E-M5? I've read you can put tape over all but the middle contacts on the hot shoe and get a 430 to work, but I have yet to try it..

sublimesun
404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 07, 2013 13:22 |  #1084

Looking to get into this camera. With a 45 and the rebate what's everyone's opinion on this deal? Already have a 14 on order. http://cache.olympusam​erica.com …AN_LENS_REBATE-CANADA.pdf (external link)

ww.mattlucasphotograph​y.com (external link) flick (external link)r 500px (external link)

jylitalo
194 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 08, 2013 05:44 |  #1085

Menelaus wrote in post #15456874 (external link)
Has anyone tried a Canon flash with the E-M5? I've read you can put tape over all but the middle contacts on the hot shoe and get a 430 to work, but I have yet to try it..

I guess it depends on what kind of functionality you want out from your flash. ETTL is probably out of the question, but I would assume that Manual works without issues. I've only done off camera flash on E-M5, but Skyport triggers that I used in Canon (including the transmitter) works perfectly fine with E-M5.

- Juha - ylitalot.com (blog (external link), portfolio (external link), gear list (external link), etc.)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 08, 2013 07:39 |  #1086

sublimesun wrote in post #15457027 (external link)
Looking to get into this camera. With a 45 and the rebate what's everyone's opinion on this deal? Already have a 14 on order. http://cache.olympusam​erica.com …AN_LENS_REBATE-CANADA.pdf (external link)

The 14mm 2.5 is pretty easily available on ebay for $150-160, I think.

I have bought into the M4/3 system 3 times, and sold out again each time to raise money for Canon stuff (and because I always go "Doh! These are really nice, but why did I spend 2K on all of this when I have Canon gear that's even better?").
However, the new E-PL5 and EPM2 look really sweet. The OMD5 sensor and AF for 5-600 bucks? Damn. That's tempting...

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 08, 2013 09:05 |  #1087

jylitalo wrote in post #15460346 (external link)
I guess it depends on what kind of functionality you want out from your flash. ETTL is probably out of the question, but I would assume that Manual works without issues. I've only done off camera flash on E-M5, but Skyport triggers that I used in Canon (including the transmitter) works perfectly fine with E-M5.

Could you link me to the skyports? Thanks!

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2013 10:42 |  #1088

My PW TTmini works on the OM-D.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sublimesun
404 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 08, 2013 11:10 |  #1089

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15460534 (external link)
The 14mm 2.5 is pretty easily available on ebay for $150-160, I think.

I have bought into the M4/3 system 3 times, and sold out again each time to raise money for Canon stuff (and because I always go "Doh! These are really nice, but why did I spend 2K on all of this when I have Canon gear that's even better?").
However, the new E-PL5 and EPM2 look really sweet. The OMD5 sensor and AF for 5-600 bucks? Damn. That's tempting...

Well I took the plunge. I will give the system a shot starting with the 14 and 45. I understand my 5d mk III and L glass can produce better quality, however I don't feel like lugging it around for street photography. I will leave my big gear for paid assignments. I hope this camera makes me forget about the x100 which I sold to fund this.

ww.mattlucasphotograph​y.com (external link) flick (external link)r 500px (external link)

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 08, 2013 17:57 |  #1090

sublimesun wrote in post #15461338 (external link)
Well I took the plunge. I will give the system a shot starting with the 14 and 45. I understand my 5d mk III and L glass can produce better quality, however I don't feel like lugging it around for street photography. I will leave my big gear for paid assignments. I hope this camera makes me forget about the x100 which I sold to fund this.

I don't have a 5D Mark III, but man... My OMD gives my 7D a run for it's money.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 08, 2013 22:20 |  #1091

sublimesun wrote in post #15461338 (external link)

the OMD beats the 7D but is juuuuust behind the 5Diii. Maybe even with the 5Dii? It focuses better and has better 6400 -vs- the 5Dii though. As crazy as that seems. Not sure about forgetting about the X100. I had one and sold it for the OMD because of the AF issue (before the firmware update). I tested a friends once the firmware came out and it's better but not OMD good still. I've since switched to the E-PM2 because I don't use the viewfinders and I didn't like the bigger size of the OMD since the hump was pointless for me. Now with the X100s announcement I'm looking at getting one again (I've pre-ordered). I LIKED having one lens and no chances for more GAS!!! I loved the style of that camera in every way and just couldn't get the AF to work. here's to hoping it's fixed now. good luck with your OMD though, you'll love it.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sublimesun
404 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 09, 2013 13:36 |  #1092

jacobsen1 wrote in post #15464133 (external link)
the OMD beats the 7D but is juuuuust behind the 5Diii. Maybe even with the 5Dii? It focuses better and has better 6400 -vs- the 5Dii though. As crazy as that seems. Not sure about forgetting about the X100. I had one and sold it for the OMD because of the AF issue (before the firmware update). I tested a friends once the firmware came out and it's better but not OMD good still. I've since switched to the E-PM2 because I don't use the viewfinders and I didn't like the bigger size of the OMD since the hump was pointless for me. Now with the X100s announcement I'm looking at getting one again (I've pre-ordered). I LIKED having one lens and no chances for more GAS!!! I loved the style of that camera in every way and just couldn't get the AF to work. here's to hoping it's fixed now. good luck with your OMD though, you'll love it.

Ya the x100 was something special. The jpegs were amazing out of the that little cam, not to mention it is the best looking camera in my opinion. It was just the inconsistency of focusing even after the firmware update. I know I will miss the viewfinder as it made it fun to shoot. Will be interesting to the hear what you think when you get the x100s. I think I will hold out for an X-Pro 1s that hopefully will have the improved focus and come in silver. :) I am stoked for the arrival of my OM-D though.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 10, 2013 21:02 |  #1093

yeah, an XE1s is also tempting for me. I do NOT want the size of the pro so I'll give up the OVF for it. But I also don't really want to be tempted by more lenses/GAS. So maybe the X100s will be perfect for me for my small camera, then my 5Diii and lenses will be perfect when needed? If I were to abandon a DSLR the XE1 or Xpro1 in an S version would be the best candidate once their wide is available. 15-36mm is a HELL of a range, with IS and f/4.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 10, 2013 21:49 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #1094

Looking hard at an all-m4/3 setup right now (EM-5, 12/2, 45/1.8, 12-50). I'd have to sell two cameras + lenses to pay for it (5Dc and NEX-5N) but the problem is used prices really took a beating recently. I'd still have to pay a few hundred out of pocket after selling everything. Is it worth it?

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2013 21:57 |  #1095

riotshield wrote in post #15473268 (external link)
Looking hard at an all-m4/3 setup right now (EM-5, 12/2, 45/1.8, 12-50). I'd have to sell two cameras + lenses to pay for it (5Dc and NEX-5N) but the problem is used prices really took a beating recently. I'd still have to pay a few hundred out of pocket after selling everything. Is it worth it?

Up to you. However, you can save a lot by getting an EPL5 or EPM2 instead of the OMD--same sensor and focusing and ISO, but less extensive IS, no viewfinder, no weather proofings. Still--same picture quality for $499? (Amazon special right now). I'm sorely tempted myself right now...

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links

353,175 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.