Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 07 Jan 2013 (Monday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Online Canadian retailers

ScarySquirrel
306 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 07, 2013 09:12 |  #1

Hi all,

I hope it's ok to post this here, if not, sorry :(

I'm moving to Canada soon and I'm having a bit of difficulty finding out what the 'go to' online Canadian retailers are for the best deals.

Any Canadians care to share their thoughts?

Thanks

MyFlickr (external link) <--- ADD ME
Canon 5D Mk 1 | Canon 5D Mk 2 | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Canon 35mm f/1.4 L[COLOR=red][COLOR=blac​k] | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 135mm f/2 L

sponsored links
Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 07, 2013 09:15 |  #2

Most of the Canadian Retailers (Vistek, Henry's) have competitive practices with the US on camera and lens pricing, however on peripherals like lighting modifiers etc, I use B&H, you save about 15 - 20% after duty and shipping.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Asterisk
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2013 09:32 |  #3

When I was living in Canada, I used www.photoprice.ca (external link) to find the best prices -- it compares all the major Canadian camera stores and the major options from the US (B&H, Adorama, etc).

For B&H, Adorama, etc, it calculates the final cost including tax & duty making it pretty easy to see where it's cheapest.

Now I spend half the year in the US and do all my purchases here :-)

ScarySquirrel
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 07, 2013 09:46 |  #4

Great, thanks for the help, I'll check out all of those recommended :)

You'd think Google would help, but I was really struggling to find who the best places to shop with were.

MyFlickr (external link) <--- ADD ME
Canon 5D Mk 1 | Canon 5D Mk 2 | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Canon 35mm f/1.4 L[COLOR=red][COLOR=blac​k] | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 135mm f/2 L

pawelgawel
308 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2013 11:13 |  #5

Where are you locating???
Mississauga has a Henrys Outlet store on Dundas... lots of open box and used items. on Boxing day they had an additional 33% on the lowest ticket price. Planty of great stuff and a choice of extended warranty if you are worried.

5D3 x2 | 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L II | 85 1.2L II | S 50 1.4 ART | S 1.4x | YN600EXRT x3 | Bowens 400RX | Lowepro LOVE :)
flickr (external link)
urban-pixel (external link)

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2013 06:47 |  #6

www.photoprice.ca (external link) is all you need.

Stevedt
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2013 16:39 |  #7

Unfortunately photoprice.ca does not publish the prices from several of the larger US stores such as Adorama and B&H. This is due to pressure from Canon to "encourage" Canadians to buy from the Canadian supply chain. I believe that they will still sell cameras to Canadians but they can't advertise their prices.

Regards
Steve

EOS 5DM3 | 24-105 L || EOS 60D | 18-200 || 70-300 F4-5.6 L USM || 100 F2.8 Macro L USM
Always Learning

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 08, 2013 19:07 |  #8

Stevedt wrote in post #15462746 (external link)
Unfortunately photoprice.ca does not publish the prices from several of the larger US stores such as Adorama and B&H. This is due to pressure from Canon to "encourage" Canadians to buy from the Canadian supply chain. I believe that they will still sell cameras to Canadians but they can't advertise their prices.

Actually, if you check our site carefully you'll see we still list Adorama and B&H in the Canon price listings, including all the shipping, tax & duty calculations. However we have to make them "anonymous". They are listed as "US Retailer" and if you click through, you are linked to our sister-site, CanonPriceWatch where they are listed by name.

AtSea
197 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2013 19:52 |  #9

Voaky999 wrote in post #15456111 (external link)
Most of the Canadian Retailers (Vistek, Henry's) have competitive practices with the US on camera and lens pricing, however on peripherals like lighting modifiers etc, I use B&H, you save about 15 - 20% after duty and shipping.

Disagree. I've found that Henry's and Vistek are nowhere near competitive with US pricing - that's the reason most of us either buy in the US, or used from the US.

danielmedini.com (external link)
http://facebook.com/da​nielmediniphoto (external link)
5D III + 16-35 F4 + 24-70 II + 70-200 F4

snoopstah
61 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 08, 2013 23:46 |  #10

AtSea wrote in post #15463550 (external link)
Disagree. I've found that Henry's and Vistek are nowhere near competitive with US pricing - that's the reason most of us either buy in the US, or used from the US.

Same here. Occasionally you find a comparable deal in Canada, but far too frequently, US prices are significantly better. My 5D3 kit cost about $600 less sourced from B&H (including 12% HST to bring it in) than I could get it for at the time in Canada. And similarly, the Manfrotto tripod I recently paid $310 US + tax for is $490 CDN + tax in Canada.

The good news is that, even though Canon try and do things to prevent it (such as making the awesome PhotoPrice site hide the prices they don't like), for the moment many big US retailers like B&H, Adorama and Amazon will happily ship to Canada, and most camera equipment is duty-free (so you only pay tax when importing it). And Canon warranties (unlike Nikon, I think) are valid across the US and Canada, at least on DSLRs and lenses.

I'm all for supporting Canadian retailers, and understand it's not (usually) their fault that they are so uncompetitive with US sellers. If the price is within 10% or so of the US price, I'll buy Canadian, but over the past year I've saved well over $1000 buying from the US, and to me at least, that's decent money.

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 09, 2013 07:59 |  #11

Stevedt wrote in post #15462746 (external link)

This thread is about Canadian retailers. Photoprice is a great resource to compare them.

Stevedt
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2013 16:59 |  #12

PhotoPrice wrote in post #15463360 (external link)
Actually, if you check our site carefully you'll see we still list Adorama and B&H in the Canon price listings, including all the shipping, tax & duty calculations. However we have to make them "anonymous". They are listed as "US Retailer" and if you click through, you are linked to our sister-site, CanonPriceWatch where they are listed by name.

Thank you very much. That is excellent information.

Regards
Steve

EOS 5DM3 | 24-105 L || EOS 60D | 18-200 || 70-300 F4-5.6 L USM || 100 F2.8 Macro L USM
Always Learning

Stevedt
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2013 17:01 |  #13

13inches wrote in post #15465289 (external link)
This thread is about Canadian retailers. Photoprice is a great resource to compare them.

I stand corrected.

Regards
Steve

Always Learning

johny39
567 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 09, 2013 17:12 |  #14

snoopstah wrote in post #15464347 (external link)
Same here. Occasionally you find a comparable deal in Canada, but far too frequently, US prices are significantly better. My 5D3 kit cost about $600 less sourced from B&H (including 12% HST to bring it in) than I could get it for at the time in Canada. And similarly, the Manfrotto tripod I recently paid $310 US + tax for is $490 CDN + tax in Canada.

The good news is that, even though Canon try and do things to prevent it (such as making the awesome PhotoPrice site hide the prices they don't like), for the moment many big US retailers like B&H, Adorama and Amazon will happily ship to Canada, and most camera equipment is duty-free (so you only pay tax when importing it). And Canon warranties (unlike Nikon, I think) are valid across the US and Canada, at least on DSLRs and lenses.

I'm all for supporting Canadian retailers, and understand it's not (usually) their fault that they are so uncompetitive with US sellers. If the price is within 10% or so of the US price, I'll buy Canadian, but over the past year I've saved well over $1000 buying from the US, and to me at least, that's decent money.

Did you compare the prices over past weeks? The price is lower at Henry's, even excluding the shipping.
Henry's Canada price for 5D3 body--------------3299$ B&H ---3499$
5D3+24-105mm------3899$ B&H ---4299$

Canon 6D /Rebel T1i |24-105mm/ 18-55mm /55-250mm/Toki 11-16

Asterisk
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2013 17:28 |  #15

johny39 wrote in post #15467707 (external link)
Did you compare the prices over past weeks? The price is lower at Henry's, even excluding the shipping.
Henry's Canada price for 5D3 body--------------3299$ B&H ---3499$
5D3+24-105mm------3899$ B&H ---4299$

Have you tried adding to cart at B&H?

$2975 for the body only.
$3499 for the kit.

B&H can't show low prices outside of cart due to MAP. PhotoPrice (external link)says that B&H is $300-400 cheaper than Henry's after all tax/shipping/exchange according to their calculations.

sponsored links

1,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Online Canadian retailers
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.