Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 16:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Free/cheap way to sell photography?

rseider
34 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 08, 2013 16:58 |  #1

Hello everyone,

For a while now I've been wondering how I could sell some prints of my photography. Even digital prints would be okay. I just want to make sure I don't loose the copyright/that my work doesn't get stolen.

I'm looking for something that I can upload my work onto and sign up for free. Something that would take a certain percentage of what I sell. For example, if I sell a print for $20, the site might take %10 (random %) out of it.

I'm a college student and my bank account is going to literally be cleaned out once I purchase my college textbooks. So I can't afford to pay anything right now. I'm just hoping there might be a website that does something like this. I'm really desperate for money and have been trying to sell my photography for a while (I had been using SmugMug for a while but that was really expensive and I wasn't making any money).

Please let me know of any suggestions that you may have.

Thank you kindly! =)

Equipment:
Canon Eos 7D| Canon Ef 20-80mm| Canon Ef-S 55-250mm| Altura .43x Super Wide Angle HD Lens| Altura 2.2x Super Telephoto HD Lens| Zeikos 0.40x Super Wide fisheye lens| Vivitar Series 1 Close-up Lens Kit| Vivitar 3PC Filter Kit
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | ShootProof (external link)

sponsored links
Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 08, 2013 19:48 |  #2

Backprint.com has no fees to use and takes a % of sales.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,563 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 09, 2013 07:45 |  #3

You may want to consider selling stock. For starts, check out www.alamy.com (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 09, 2013 08:40 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #4

Fine Art America is free for the basic service, $30/year if you want to have POD (Pay on demand), that $30 also gives you your own website, if you dont already have one. The downside is the number of artists on the site, you really need to keyword well, and they DONT advertise for you, you still need to let folks know your work is up there.
Since you didnt mention what you images are of, all of us are kind of shooting in the dark with suggestions though.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 09, 2013 10:29 |  #5

We're you not profiting or not selling? If the later, I would address that issue before website issues.

Paypal is a great way for people to purchase things and can be integrated into a lot of sites for a % of sales.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 09, 2013 10:33 |  #6

ebay

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

rseider
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 09, 2013 14:17 |  #7

Old Coot wrote in post #15463538 (external link)
Backprint.com has no fees to use and takes a % of sales.

This looks as though it is all for event photography. Is there another way to set it up
or is that just what it is for?

jra wrote in post #15465239 (external link)
You may want to consider selling stock. For starts, check out www.alamy.com (external link)

That looks pretty good. I'll give it a try.

digirebelva wrote in post #15465412 (external link)
Fine Art America is free for the basic service, $30/year if you want to have POD (Pay on demand),
that $30 also gives you your own website, if you dont already have one. The downside is the number of artists on the site, you
really need to keyword well, and they DONT advertise for you, you still need to let folks know your work is up there.
Since you didnt mention what you images are of, all of us are kind of shooting in the dark with suggestions though.

Looks like a pretty great site! And sorry I did not specify. I take photos of a lot of things. I wouldn't call myself
concentrated in one area over another at the moment. I have a Facebook page you can check out if you'd like to see
some of the things I photograph: http://www.facebook.co​m/Rachael.Seider.Photo​graphy (external link)

JLX wrote in post #15465891 (external link)
We're you not profiting or not selling? If the later, I would address that issue before website issues.

Paypal is a great way for people to purchase things and can be integrated into a lot of sites for a % of sales.

I wasn't selling. I think it was because I did not advertise enough.

phantelope wrote in post #15465910 (external link)
ebay

Sorry I did not specify. I need a site to be able to make the prints and ship them out.
Ebay would be fine if I could make my own prints, but at present I don't have the means
or the money to do so.

Equipment:
Canon Eos 7D| Canon Ef 20-80mm| Canon Ef-S 55-250mm| Altura .43x Super Wide Angle HD Lens| Altura 2.2x Super Telephoto HD Lens| Zeikos 0.40x Super Wide fisheye lens| Vivitar Series 1 Close-up Lens Kit| Vivitar 3PC Filter Kit
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | ShootProof (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 09, 2013 16:01 |  #8

blurb.com if you want to make a book

And ebay still works, you can sell it and THEN print it, no need to print a pile and stack it up. many printing places let you ship to anywhere once ordered I think. try bayphoto.com or mpix for interesting things like wraps or metal prints. Make a sale via ebay and have it printed once you have the sale

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

tbigs
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 12, 2013 08:55 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #9

Check out http://www.shootproof.​com/ (external link) that might be a solution.

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2013 09:25 |  #10

What type of photos are you trying to sell? Stock, landscapes, bridal, event, etc...

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Free/cheap way to sell photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.