Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which camera bags really don't look like camera bags?

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 06, 2013 19:38 |  #16

Rashkh wrote in post #15453086 (external link)
This. People get confused when I tell them I bought my bag in B&H.

You can look into Ona bags. They look nothing like camera bags but are just as expensive as billingham. They also have a really nice backpack. Onas look more modern compared to billingham's timeless looks.

+1 Billingham.

sponsored links
les24preludes
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 07, 2013 02:06 as a reply to  @ xeodragon's post |  #17

I think the point a few of us are making here is that we want a bag to look like it contains nothing special, and nothing of value to attract malevolent people.

The problem with Ona and Billingham, unless they're old and worn, is that they simply look like what they are - expensive pieces of luggage. This in itself signals money spent. The added problem with such bags is that they may look like they contain laptops - which a lot of them are actually designed to do.

Photographers spend a lot of time wandering about alone in places where there is nobody to come to their aid if they are robbed. This can happen even in urban parks and green spaces, or in the street even. Their bags can easily contain $2,000 of equipment.

The point of all these unidentifiable bags is to give out the message "this contains books, sandwiches and a rolled up raincoat" or something like that. I don't think Billingham bags do that, quite frankly.

I'm a bit more in favour of hunting bags - if they look like they contain dead birds or fish, that's not a great catch in financial terms.

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 07, 2013 03:52 |  #18

To the average person, none of these bags would look like they contain $$$$$ of camera gear. Pro pick pockets and thieves would though, they make it their business to know what these bags look like. If you are walking around with one of these bags and camera in other hand taking shots then i would say your cover is blown.

I just got a thinktank retropect 20. Yeah it doesnt look like a camera bag as such but when I am out and about with bag and camera in clear view, I think its obvious what else could be in there.

les24preludes
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 07, 2013 08:35 as a reply to  @ snapshot2011's post |  #19

Some good points. I'm getting really into the idea of fishing bags. Your bag is saying "I'm on my way to a stream somewhere to do a spot of fishing". Though without a rod in one hand....

Still, fishing bags are the next best thing to camera bags. They are quite wide - unlike the messenger bags - since they hold bait and tackle. Not too dissimilar to lenses in size. They have reel bags with pockets for keeping fishing reels, for instance. Lots of nice bags here:

http://www.fishingmega​store.com …JWRzfX81bQCFU3H​tAodWDEAcw (external link)

The Hardy bags are very much the same kind of thing as Billingham.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,396 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 07, 2013 08:59 |  #20

I find the Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 to be pretty nondescript.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

tekin112000
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 07, 2013 09:00 |  #21

Here is one place to find some ideas https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1010634

I found a durable canvas shoulder bag on Amazon for around $20

People have used diaper bags, old messenger bags, gym bags.

With an insert like this, almost any bag becomes a inconspicous camera bag.
http://www.amazon.com …9&creativeASIN=​B0047P0QLC (external link)

Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce

les24preludes
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 07, 2013 11:07 as a reply to  @ tekin112000's post |  #22

Some great links there - thanks. That's a really good thread about stealth camera bags - I don't know why I didn't find it when I did a search. Eventually you find a whole load of possible canvas bags. Army surplus, fishing supplies and so on. Using inserts is a great way of customising a bag. Came across another good bag maker - Koolertron - on Amazon. They're cheap and nice. Definitely going to be a canvas or webbing bag, though. And having done some research there's plenty of choice. You just have to know what's out there. Messenger bags, however, are not the place to look. Too tall and too thin.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Jan 07, 2013 11:24 |  #23

+1 on the POTN link.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 08, 2013 09:07 |  #24

I've seen a few guys using the Maxpedition (external link) bags, usually either the Jumbo EDC or the Colossus.

Christian.

BLOWNCO
221 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 08, 2013 20:02 |  #25

i use this one

http://www.dakine.com …er-2013/mission-photo-25l (external link)

BLOWNCOFOTO.COM[/URL]
Canon 1D MKIII l Canon 60D l Canon 70-200 2.8 L l Canon 300 2.8 L l Canon 28-135 "for now":lol:

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Jan 08, 2013 20:57 as a reply to  @ BLOWNCO's post |  #26

Another messenger style option would be the Timbuk2 Snoop, not sure if they are wide enough for your liking though.. Have one myself and quite like it, looks like all they're other bags.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

frs
214 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 09, 2013 05:09 |  #27

Bilderknipser wrote in post #15463836 (external link)
Another messenger style option would be the Timbuk2 Snoop, not sure if they are wide enough for your liking though.. Have one myself and quite like it, looks like all they're other bags.

I saw some Timbuk2 camera bags a few days ago, they seem real nice;

Also there are the Korea-made camera bags from Herringbone, Ciesta, Matin......

http://www.herringbone​.co.kr/shop/main/index​.php (external link)

http://ciesta9.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which camera bags really don't look like camera bags?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.