Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon v Sigma For Intermediate Snapper

mupps1660
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 08, 2013 07:28 |  #1

I currently own an EOS 450D and have attached a Sigma 70-200 macro hsm ii. I mainly take sport/action photos.

If I upgrade to either the old or new model Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L lenses will I actually notice any differences ? I assume there will be some sharpness improvements but for my standard of pictures the Sigma quality is fine. I am mainly interested in understanding if the focusing is quicker/better etc.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2013 07:32 |  #2

The focusing will be a tad quicker with the Canon. IQ wise you also should notice a little bit of improvement.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 08, 2013 07:40 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I suggest you spending the money on upgrading the body to something like a 7D.

You will appreciate the improvements with your existing lens way more than upgrading the lens itself ;)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 08, 2013 08:08 |  #4

kin2son wrote in post #15460536 (external link)

You will appreciate the improvements with your existing lens way more than upgrading the lens itself ;)

I disagree. Lens is more important than the camera. Now for the choices. If you can afford the canon go with that. I have had 2 70-200 and they were both sharp and just great to use.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

mupps1660
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 08, 2013 09:42 |  #5

Kin2son/Slimninj4
Thanks both. I think you have hit the nail on the head. If I have the money to spend do I upgrade the lens or the body (unfortunately I can't do both). I was looking at the 7D but apart from the faster fps I wasn't sure there was enough there to warrant the spend. But then again, would I notice enough of a difference with the lens to warrant the bigh cash outlay..... decisions, decisions.... Anyone else have an opinion on which way to go ?

flickr (external link)

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2013 11:52 |  #6

slimninj4 wrote in post #15460609 (external link)
I disagree. Lens is more important than the camera.

I'm inclined to agree with kin2son on this one. For sports/action photos, AF performance is more important than image quality. Better high ISO performance (allowing you to increase the shutter speed) is also pretty useful. The 7D blows away the XSi in both of those categories.

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 08, 2013 11:57 |  #7

I have the same lens and use it on my 7D. I think you will notice huge improvements by upgrading the body on this one :-)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 08, 2013 14:00 |  #8

I usually would encourage a lens upgrade before a camera upgrade... but in this case, because you already have a decent lens and considering that your primary use is sports and action, a 7D would likely be a better upgrade than changing out your lens.

7D has a number of sports/action related features. Arguably the most important is high performance auto focus. It's the best "AI Servo" crop sensor camera Canon makes. Tracks movement quite well.

You need to know that the 7D is not as forgiving as your present camera. It doesn't have as much support for inexperienced shooters, is designed with more experienced shooters in mind... you have to know how to do your own settings.

For example, if you usually just turn the mode dial on your camera to the little running man icon and start shooting, you won't find that preset on the 7D at all.

7D has a 19-point AF system, with a discrete chip to control it. It's the only model other than 1D series that doesn't share AF function through a single processor that also handles images. In fact, the 7D has dual image processors, too, to support the higher frame rate (which can be nice, but isn't always necessary for sports/action). All 19 points in the 7D's AF array are dual-axis type. The center one is further enhanced with f2.8 and faster lenses. Your camera has a 9 point AF array with only the center one the dual-axis type. All the rest are single axis and less responsive in less-than-ideal conditions.

7D also is highly customizable. You can assign functions to various buttons and dials on the body. The AF system also has a number of modes and adjustments. It can be great if you know what you are doing and set it up right... or a disaster if you set it up wrong. Initially I usually recommend people use it very, very simply... perhaps the same way they used earlier, less sophisticated models... and experiment a little at a time with some of the fancier focus modes. The AF system of the 7D is another layer of complexity, on top of all the usual stuff (with the 5DIII, it's even more-so).

So a search here for all the posts asking for help with 7D... especially focusing techniques... just to be prepared if you think you want to upgrade to one.

The 7D also has a very nice, 100% viewfinder. It will be bigger and brighter than you are accustomed to with your current camera. I think the 5DIII is the only other sub-1D model with a 100% viewfinder. This does make the camera bigger and heavier, though.

In fact, you'll find the 7D a lot heavier and bulkier than your 450D. So go check one out in person in a store, to help make your decision.

FYI, the 60D has a 9-point AF system that might look like the one in your camera. However, it's also an upgrade... all 9 points are dual-axis, and because the 60D uses a newer, more powerful processor, it's AF should be more responsive than your current camera. You might want to consider 60D too. It would leave a few hundred dollars in your pocket or to use toward another lens or accesory. It's lighter and less bulky than the 7D, but uses virtually the same 18MP sensor, so there's little difference between them in image quality. While it's not a 100% viewfinder like the 7D's, the 60D has a true pentaprism, which will be a bit brighter and bigger than viewfinder on your 450D, which uses a penta-mirror (allowing it to be a little lighter, smaller.... and cheaper).

The controls of 7D and 60D also are a bit different from your current camera. They allow more direct control... two dials for shutter speed and aperture, for example. This makes them faster in use than the Rebel/xxxD. You can do the same things with your 450D, but for example usually will need to press a button and then turn a dial, a two step operation that you might have to take the camera away from your eye to do. 7D and 60D you can learn to change a lot of the more common controls while keeping your eye to the viewfinder. Another example, the 7D has a "joystick" that allows direct and fast access to moving your AF point selection around. The 60D has an 8-way switch for the same purpose, probably more similar to your current camera.

Check out both 60D and 7D in a local store and see what you think. Have fun shopping!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 08, 2013 14:14 |  #9

kin2son wrote in post #15460536 (external link)

I am with kin2son on this, and to answer the people who say the lens is more important than the body I will give my experience. I started with a 450D, it was a great camera. I then got interested in birding. I became very frustrated with the hit rate and also the image quality of my shots. I toyed up with what everybody says about getting better glass (I had a Sigma 150-500) but then one day got to try a better body. I was impressed so went and brought a new 50D. My keeper rate jumped so much I could not believe it. The image quality was also a jump as well with more finer detail coming out in shots. Maybe it was because of the better focus, I don't know but I do know this, moving from the 450D to the 50D was a huge improvement. The 7D would be a bigger improvement again as amfoto 1 above says. I think you would be surprised at just how much of a jump it would be. I have only tried a 7D but was impressed with the speed and accuracy of the focus. It was a toss up for me to get one of those or a 5DII and the only reason I went 5DII was because birds are only a very small part of what I like to shoot.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2013 14:20 |  #10

Mupps...as other have mentioned, usually choose quality lens before body upgrade. In your case though, I would consider the 7D.

mupps1660
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 08, 2013 15:37 |  #11

Thanks all, just the sort of responses I was after.

flickr (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 08, 2013 15:39 |  #12

Shooting sports with a Rebel body can be done, but you'll turn grey waiting for the buffer to clear...

Joel

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 08, 2013 16:52 |  #13

slimninj4 wrote in post #15460609 (external link)
I disagree. Lens is more important than the camera. Now for the choices. If you can afford the canon go with that. I have had 2 70-200 and they were both sharp and just great to use.

I would agree with you, except the Sigma 70-200 HSM is already a sharp and fast focusing lens. Moving to a Canon version is not going to drastically alter the outcome.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Gallery: 588 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 08, 2013 18:02 |  #14

melauer wrote in post #15461479 (external link)
I'm inclined to agree with kin2son on this one. For sports/action photos, AF performance is more important than image quality. Better high ISO performance (allowing you to increase the shutter speed) is also pretty useful. The 7D blows away the XSi in both of those categories.

Me as well, the 7D is in a different league in terms of AF performance, the Sigma 70-200 has very, very good AF performance and i suspect the 450D might be the bigger issue here

The 30D had roughly the same AF system as the 450D, The 7D is a LOT better, I noticed a huge jump in AF performance from the 7D upgrade, Yes lenses matter to an extent, but in this case, the Sigma is a fantastic piece of glass and no slouch in focusing... the Canon is supposedly SLIGHTLY better than it in terms of AI Servo performance true, but I doubt you'd see the difference because AI Servo has a lot to do with the camera body..

The only downside is the 7D can be a tough nut for some folks to get the hang of, Especially the focus system, Once you get the hang of it though, You'll love it

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Bagman
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 08, 2013 21:42 |  #15

I gotta go with those that are suggesting to upgrade the body. He is shooting a lot of sports. As an extreme comparison, there is a reason why sports photographers are not shooting with $2500 lensi attached to Rebels. I think the improvement of FPS (for one obvious reason), including AF capability will out-weight the upgrade in lens in this particular case.

EOS 70D | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II | 430EX II | Lowepro Nova 170AW & Slingshot 202AW

sponsored links

2,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon v Sigma For Intermediate Snapper
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.