Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2013 22:41 |  #1771

bobbyz wrote in post #15464178 (external link)
How about 85mm f1.8 then? It is not even $50 difference between new and old one. Sorry to be totally off topic.

40 mm pancake: $149 new, $144.95 used.

http://www.amazon.com …ywords=canon+40​mm+pancake (external link)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2013 23:03 |  #1772

How about 85mm f1.8 then? It is not even $50 difference between new and old one. Sorry to be totally off topic.

Thats using the rebate price though. If you use the regular price is a bigger difference, and of course the difference for lower value lenses is going to be less in terms of the dollar amount. At $300, thats about 16% off the rebate price, which is not insignificant. At the regular price, that goes up to almost 30% off even though you are only saving around $100 (used vs regular non-rebate pricing). That corresponds nicely to the example I gave with the 70-200 f4 IS, where at $850 used, you save around 27% off new.

But yes, some lenses I feel are not really worth the trouble buying used, namely the sub-$300 ones.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 09, 2013 00:35 |  #1773

In my defense, I never had this lens behavior with any other fast prime I have owned. It is clearly noticible. I would post example shots if I were at home. But since I am on vacation all I can do is real world testing :p

I have taken probably six hundred or more photos with this lens in all types of light by now. In low light and artificial light it tends to like +9.... In bright daylight, 0. Not sure if just coincidence or what, but I have done many comparison shots while shooting and just sharing what I have seen.

Left the lens at +9 all night today and it performed great. Looked all very sharp wide open all night.

The other day though during midday light, my +9 images looked soft. Put back to 0 and perfect.

I am really trying to narrow the behavior down, if it is a real issue. Could just be coincidence shot to shot when changing the MA values. I will do more shooting midday at +9 and see if I get sharp results. If not, I know I am not making this stuff up... I have used and tested too many lenses to not know what I am talking about.

This lens is really amazing and the IQ is fantastic. Much happier with it than the L. But I just want to figure out my little MA issue if there is one. Loving this lens!!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Earwax69
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 09, 2013 00:52 |  #1774

Is it too late to send it back Invertalon?

Canon 6D | S35mm f1.4 | 135mm f2 The rest: T3i, 20D, 15mm f2.8, 15-85mm, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8 macro, 55-250mm.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 09, 2013 00:58 |  #1775

No need to send it back if nothing is wrong. Still looking into it :)

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

PEjercito
49 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 09, 2013 02:59 |  #1776

My sigma 35 will be here from b&h tomorrow :) so psyched to try it out.

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2013 06:33 as a reply to  @ PEjercito's post |  #1777

mine's got shipped out today, a week ahead of schedule. hopefully i get it tomoro or friday, damn excited

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 09, 2013 08:51 |  #1778

Cory or frequent-S35mm-posters .... can you confirm on yours that this is or isn't happening? Would love to know if this is an isolated case before I go for it.

Invertalon wrote in post #15464450 (external link)
In my defense, I never had this lens behavior with any other fast prime I have owned. It is clearly noticible. I would post example shots if I were at home. But since I am on vacation all I can do is real world testing :p

I have taken probably six hundred or more photos with this lens in all types of light by now. In low light and artificial light it tends to like +9.... In bright daylight, 0. Not sure if just coincidence or what, but I have done many comparison shots while shooting and just sharing what I have seen.

Left the lens at +9 all night today and it performed great. Looked all very sharp wide open all night.

The other day though during midday light, my +9 images looked soft. Put back to 0 and perfect.

I am really trying to narrow the behavior down, if it is a real issue. Could just be coincidence shot to shot when changing the MA values. I will do more shooting midday at +9 and see if I get sharp results. If not, I know I am not making this stuff up... I have used and tested too many lenses to not know what I am talking about.

This lens is really amazing and the IQ is fantastic. Much happier with it than the L. But I just want to figure out my little MA issue if there is one. Loving this lens!!

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 09, 2013 09:02 |  #1779

i will have to test mine for this...

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,958 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2013 09:12 as a reply to  @ vinmunoz's post |  #1780

Continuuing from last night, (because I have nothing better to do until next Monday :D)...

Sirrith wrote in post #15464110 (external link)
I think he means saving $100 or less. With the 24-105, you'd be crazy to buy it new for $1150 when it regularly pops up at $750 brand new as part of a kit that someone doesn't want.

Yes, this is what I meant...Looking back at the post I'm not sure why I put that sentence in, it was a little out of context.

How dare you get off topic in a non-photo sharing thread with over 1700 posts! ;)

Sirrith wrote in post #15464252 (external link)
Thats using the rebate price though. If you use the regular price is a bigger difference, and of course the difference for lower value lenses is going to be less in terms of the dollar amount. At $300, thats about 16% off the rebate price, which is not insignificant. At the regular price, that goes up to almost 30% off even though you are only saving around $100 (used vs regular non-rebate pricing). That corresponds nicely to the example I gave with the 70-200 f4 IS, where at $850 used, you save around 27% off new.

But yes, some lenses I feel are not really worth the trouble buying used, namely the sub-$300 ones.

^^This comment totally sums up what I was making reference to in my post. Off topic again...talk about taking a hit, I bought a 5D3 brand new when they first came out! ouch!!

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link)
Feedback

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,958 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2013 09:56 |  #1781

nccb wrote in post #15465449 (external link)
Cory or frequent-S35mm-posters .... can you confirm on yours that this is or isn't happening? Would love to know if this is an isolated case before I go for it.

First, I just want to say again that I would never doubt that Steve is having issues with his lens or that he knows what he is taking about. I love you shots dude!! I just have never heard of that kind of behavior, my inclination would be that the variable results are d/t something else such as differences in focal distances. That is where I was having to find a happy medium with my lens.

nccb, I can confirm this is not happening on my lens. See my previous post for a very basic description of my experience with this lens. I did go crazy for about two days when I first got it testing it in all sorts of light and focal distances though. I was anywhere from -5 to +10. I ended up with +3 and have never looked back. I am just going be happy with it.

https://photography-on-the.net …p=15463558&post​count=1750

As I said I will get the occasional miss at times when I feel there is no real good reason. I PM'd a very talented pro wedding photog that is VERY respected here on POTN to ask this person about their experience this is what they said....Of course the names have been changed and a couple sentences been omitted to protect the innocent. :D

Hi pro photog,

How are you finding the accuracy of your new siggy's AF? I am getting great shots about 90% of the time, but there are times, usually when the subject is about 6 ft. out, that it seems to front focus. The problem is that is doesn't happen all the time. But just when I think it's in my head, it does it again. It's kind of getting to me? Is yours right on the money 100% of the time? I love this thing but was just wondering what you are experiencing?

Cory

Hi Cory,
This is a common problem with primes, especially the shorter ones.

Mind does the same thing on my camera. AT closer to MFD it is ever-so-slightly "off"...not enough to matter. It's still sharp, but it's not at its absolute sharpest, which is amazing.

Cheers,

Pro Photog

Great! What I here you saying is that the 1-2 out of 10 that are a bit off at a little further out is normal. I must say that the rest are freakin' dead on and sharp as can be. I just have not had this issue with 85 or 135mm primes in the past. Close up this thing is right on the money almost every time. Thanks for the reply, sounds like mine is right where it should be. I really really like this thing!

Cory

Hi Cory,
Yeah, 100% keeper rate isn't possible.
My 85L is all over the place. Sometimes it's dead on at f1.2 and others, not so much. It's just the nature of the beast.

But the Sigma 35 is what I would call a consistent lens. I'm really liking it and it seems to be at least as consistent as the L version, if not more.

Cheers,
Pro photog

Cory
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,070 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2013 10:32 |  #1782

^^ I think that describes my 50L

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 09, 2013 10:36 |  #1783

I agree with above... Fast primes are never 100% accurate shot to shot. My 85L, 35L and other primes have missed for no reason what so ever. I am just trying to see if mine varies based on light... I should be able to confirm it today, as last night I shot at +9 at dusk/night and results were good, but in such low light and high ISO it hard to tell as easily. I will shoot it today in bright midday light at 0 and just leave it there from now on because it clearly best there outside.

This has been my go-to lens for my entire trip so far... Disney, Knotts and Universal late in the day. Loving it! So sharp wide open I rarely ever stop down.

Going to leave the lens at 0 now though... It *clearly* is the best value outside. I will see how it does full time. +9 looks terrible outside.... Indoors currently with nothing but window light, 0 looks great as well. At home, 0 also looked the best outdoors in all my testing before the trip. Just trying to find out why +9 is ideal in some situations. But like I said, I am done changing the MA value. 0 is best in all my testing, so if in some situation it is not ideal anymore I can confirm this phenomenon. I emailed Sigma about it to see what they say if anything.

I will keep everybody updated...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 09, 2013 10:55 |  #1784

I haven't seen any of the above issues with my 35L. Sigms 50mm f1.4 used to be like what you describing. I will have my sigma 85mmf 1.4 to try this week.

Cory - What camera that pro photg using?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,958 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2013 11:09 |  #1785

^^5D3^^

Looking forward to seeing a TON of your shots Steve. Not for technical talking discussion purposes, but because I love your amusement park stuff!

Cory
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

674,040 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.