Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 10, 2013 11:33 |  #136
bannedPermanent ban

I just ordered laminate flooring from Dell *crosses fingers*

sponsored links
vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 10, 2013 11:41 |  #137

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #15470698 (external link)
I just ordered laminate flooring from Dell *crosses fingers*

lmao

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 10, 2013 11:47 |  #138

jrmy wrote in post #15467609 (external link)
I find it very curious you felt the need to privately document your "unboxing."

I normally photograph everything expensive I buy. First photo is receit + box. Then content of box etc. Then often important manual pages etc, look of AC adapter, serial number etc.

But I don't show any photos of cutting any tape. Just look of box before it gets opened - in case there will be any unexpected transport damages or similar.

And once or twice I have received opened boxes, so I have felt a need to keep track of what was in the box. To verify what really should have been in the box just in case something would be missing.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Sage
158 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 10, 2013 11:49 |  #139

pwm2 wrote in post #15470749 (external link)
I normally photograph everything expensive I buy. First photo is receit + box. Then content of box etc. Then often important manual pages etc, look of AC adapter, serial number etc.

But I don't show any photos of cutting any tape. Just look of box before it gets opened - in case there will be any unexpected transport damages or similar.

And once or twice I have received opened boxes, so I have felt a need to keep track of what was in the box. To verify what really should have been in the box just in case something would be missing.

Each to their own, but this doesn't sound quite the norm?

Canon 5D MarkIII | 60D | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 16-35mm f/2.8 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L | 135mm f/2 L | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/96382250@N08/ (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 10, 2013 11:49 |  #140

MJ23FE wrote in post #15470644 (external link)
Dell didn't get back to me until 4pm yesterday afternoon informing me that the replacement was being shipped overnight. When I checked the tracking# they gave me, it showed that the shipping info was sent to FedEx at 9:15am Thursday morning. It wasn't picked up from the shipping location in Harrisburg until after 6pm last night. It arrived to FedEx in Newark, NJ after midnight, and arrived to the Moonachie, NJ distribution center early this morning. It was on a truck at 7am this morning for delivery to my residence. I received the package slightly after 10am. I got the call from home that it was wood shortly after that and posted here that I got more wood!
I don't know what to tell you, Chan. That's the truth.

Weird that FedEx delivered it by 10AM, unless Dell did early delivery which would cost them a lot (I do a lot of FedEx and shipments overnight by 9:30 is very very very expensive.)
But then again, it's not unheard of.

Either way, this thread is full of WIN!

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 10, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ CanonVsNikon's post |  #141

About one month ago, I read at Dear Abby's the following: "Dear Abby, my husband is a prankster and he thinks he is a good photographer. He is spending so much money buying stuff that we are starving for his hobby. Yesterday, I received two packages from a guy named Dell, I opened them. I knew, it was a camera and a lens. I proceeded to take the camera and lens out and packed some left over laminated floor that has been sitting in our garage for years, since we had the floor replaced. I packed everything back making sure it seemed "real". When he got home, he was so excited that I suggested that he videotaped it. You cannot imagine his face, it was worth all the suffering I have had for the last 14 yeas. He was pale, had to go to the bathroom, coursed everyone, called the guy Dell onthe phone and no body answer. That was the night before Christmas (we are Catholics and celebrate the night before) next day, he tried to call, but everyone was closed. Finally on the 26, and thinking that he may commit suicide, I put the lens on the camera and asked him if he wanted his photo taken. Then, his face changed. He decided to tell the story in a forum of crazy people who are fanatic of Canon, and some of them would not buy a Sigma for anything in the world. They will find excuses and problems with the lens, just like redneck republicans do with Obama. I am happy he has his camera, he is a changed man. However, he now spend hours in front of the computer laughing. I am thinking in divorce, what is your advice?

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 10, 2013 11:53 |  #142

RHChan84 wrote in post #15470759 (external link)
Weird that FedEx delivered it by 10AM, unless Dell did early delivery which would cost them a lot (I do a lot of FedEx and shipments overnight by 9:30 is very very very expensive.)
But then again, it's not unheard of.

Either way, this thread is full of WIN!

They did it!

And yes, this thread is full of win. No doubt about that.

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 10, 2013 12:07 |  #143
bannedPermanent ban

OK, I'll ask. What is WIN?

Gear List

Davisje011
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 10, 2013 12:12 as a reply to  @ MJ23FE's post |  #144

Fed ex delivers when they deliver, just because they delivered by 10am doesnt mean they paid more, it could mean hes near the start of the delivery route.

And I love the "Intarweb DetekifZ" who find an unboxing strange. I do it as common practice to ensure that I can prove there is no fraud on my end if the package is bogus. I also make "Boxing" videos when doing transactions to prove that I sent the goods. I once had someone claim that I sent them an empty box to paypal, they were trying to scam their money back.

These days, I'm surprised that people find it odd to protect oneself when doing online transactions. Then again, the internet thrives on the naivete of others.

I will give one tidbit of advice: Don't take unboxing photos, make a video. showcase uncut tape, box condition etc. That way there is no doubt in case they try to fight you.

One more thing: Canon does not put tape dots on their boxes. Looks like someone at the 3rd party switched out the stuff and put tape dots to keep anyone from finding out.

Canon 5D Mk III - 16-35mm f2.8L II - 24-70mm f2.8L II - 70-200mm f2.8L IS II - 2x Extender III - 600EX-RT - 430EX II - BG-E11

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 10, 2013 12:13 |  #145

bipodsnapster wrote in post #15470755 (external link)
Each to their own, but this doesn't sound quite the norm?

No, opened boxes isn't the norm. Just note here that I never said Canon. I never said product area. I never said where I bought. Just that I have received opened boxes.

But it have happened that boxes from mail order companies have been opened. Not sure if it has been customer returns or if they have opened the boxes to demonstrate something. But I do know that once or twice when talking with some mail order companies they say they don't know the answer and then go and fetch a box to check.

Once a mail order delivery did ship a graphics card with less memory than ordered. And without the game bundle that was supposed to be in box. I was told I should directly contact the manufacturer about the bundle. But since amount of RAM was wrong I requested they send up new graphics card. So I switched content of boxes and sent back box with the smaller card and the missing game bundle. This time they said they would not be able to sell that box since it wasn't complete... Anyway - a good reason to keep an eye on contents.

Boxes from local stores have come up short once or twice. Maybe a power supply missing or a manual. Potentially customer A complains and a seller picks up item from box B. Then somehow that box gets back into circulation and gets sold as a complete box despite being incomplete.

Another reason for the photos is that if I sell an item, I can look at the photos and make sure I get all the content before shipping. And with 100+ AC adapters it is good to be able to figure out which adapter belongs to the device - sometimes it isn't even obvious what voltage or polarity the device is using.

Only real loss I have suffered was sending in an expensive DVD player for service (when high-end DVD players were really expensive). Video surveillance showed the box being received at the transport company. No surveillance showed it ever leave. So someone involved in shipping noticed the labels on the box - a good reason to double-box expensive items. I had to wait over a month before insurance claim could be made.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 10, 2013 12:41 |  #146

I have seen a lot of unboxing videos but usually new items. Like when the 5D3 first came out or when a new tablet just came out or something, not a few months after it came out.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 10, 2013 12:43 |  #147

RHChan84 wrote in post #15470969 (external link)
I have seen a lot of unboxing videos but usually new items. Like when the 5D3 first came out or when a new tablet just came out or something, not a few months after it came out.

I've seen a lot of random unboxing videos and pictures too. Saw one once for a messenger bag that had been around for years. I think some folks just love to nerd out on stuff like that.

Neil

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 10, 2013 12:49 |  #148

MJ23FE wrote in post #15470644 (external link)
You guys are seriously hilarious! I'm laughing each time I come back to the thread to read more responses. Making this whole situation a lot easier to deal with to tell you the truth.

I swear to you all, I wish I was lying about it and playing a joke or being a troll. This is not the case at all. I am dead serious and telling the truth. This would take a lot of effort to fake and time on my part. I just want my damn 5D3 already! Ugh!

Dell didn't get back to me until 4pm yesterday afternoon informing me that the replacement was being shipped overnight. When I checked the tracking# they gave me, it showed that the shipping info was sent to FedEx at 9:15am Thursday morning. It wasn't picked up from the shipping location in Harrisburg until after 6pm last night. It arrived to FedEx in Newark, NJ after midnight, and arrived to the Moonachie, NJ distribution center early this morning. It was on a truck at 7am this morning for delivery to my residence. I received the package slightly after 10am. I got the call from home that it was wood shortly after that and posted here that I got more wood!
I don't know what to tell you, Chan. That's the truth.

Dell doesn't ship these items themselves. They are drop shipped from distributors. So someone at the warehouse had obviously stripped all these boxes, filled them with wood to match the weight and space, and sealed the boxes with a clear circular sticker right on the box flap. You have all confirmed that Canon does not seal any of their boxes with stickers which is a clear indication its been tampered with.

I spoke to Dell a little bit ago. They are taking this up to the next level and investigating the situation which kinda puts me up sh!ts creek. I have wait now. I told them that I'm basically getting screwed and have to wait for this to all process. I asked where it leaves me, and they told me that I would be taken care of and that I need to allow for the process to take place. I'll be hearing from a manager this afternoon around 4pm. I plan on calling at that point if I don't hear from him.

I just sent them an email with photos from package #1 and package #2. I must say, they seemed to do a better job with the wood and stuffing on package #1 and skimped out on package #2. Either way, whoever ordered/orders a 5D3 Kit and has it shipped from that location is getting flooring.

Yay. :rolleyes: :(

Def bw!

-Jalal

Hmm, seems beyond likely--was about to write you off as a troll. But there are stupid criminals out there who think they can get away with fleecing hundreds of goods without getting caught. Steal one high-end camera and the company (Dell) won't bat an eye, even chalking it up to buyer fraud--but multiple instances of the same thing are going to result in an investigation. Some warehouse worker is going to end up in jail for this.

Just hope you made sure to take a video during this unboxing--I definitely would have after that last package.

My Gearlist

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 10, 2013 12:51 |  #149

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15471011 (external link)
Hmm, seems beyond likely--was about to write you off as a troll. But there are stupid criminals out there who think they can get away with fleecing hundreds of goods without getting caught. Steal one high-end camera and the company (Dell) won't bat an eye, even chalking it up to buyer fraud--but multiple instances of the same thing are going to result in an investigation. Some warehouse worker is going to end up in jail for this.

Just hope you made sure to take a video during this unboxing--I definitely would have after that last package.

But still possible for warehouse to do this. They are probably thinking no one is gonna know who did it and the end user is going to be the one that deals with this.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Courierman
Goldmember
2,010 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 10, 2013 12:56 |  #150

hmm why does he's sign say 5DmkIII and 24 105 L
you think that dell would open the 2nd mkIII kit before shipping

Gear List

sponsored links

177,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.