Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2013 01:22 |  #1816

Invertalon wrote in post #15469295 (external link)
Does not happen with my 24-70, 70-200 or any other lens ive used in the past. Only this one!

I would definitely try an exchange then.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 10, 2013 02:10 |  #1817

Thing is I have no issues with distance... Same MA regardless. No shift.

And indoor vs. outdoor, its not always off indoors. Just with some types of light.

I did contact the company for info on a exchange/return though... If nobody else has this same issue I guess ill exchange it... Performs so well otherwise and I just have a hunch that it will happen with the new one as well.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2013 12:17 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #1818

Just tested mine (no software or charts): needs +10 to be razor sharp at 1.4, inside/outside/incande​scent/daylight... Both close and far.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 10, 2013 12:19 |  #1819

LV Moose wrote in post #15470869 (external link)
Just tested mine (no software or charts): needs +10 to be razor sharp at 1.4, inside/outside/incande​scent/daylight... Both close and far.

Whew. Glad to hear it Moose.

Neil

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2013 12:22 |  #1820

Still waiting on my ballhead before I can run a FoCal test. lol :(

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2013 12:37 |  #1821

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15470874 (external link)
Whew. Glad to hear it Moose.

Yeah, but it still pisses me off a little that it needs to have that much MA, so I was expecting it to be OoF on my 40D. Interestingly enough, it seemed to be pretty much right on... maybe a very slight backfocus (but not noticable unless you're pixel peeping).

Checked my 70-200 f/4L IS, 100 f/2.8L, and 28-135. They all seemed right on (on the 5DIII).

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 10, 2013 13:44 |  #1822

I was going to ask just that... those that have +10MA, how are other lenses on the same camera? If all require a + something correction, then the camera is partly to blame... if most are at 0, then the lens is the 'culprit'. Sadly, for those of us without MA options, that is a problem (which makes the USB dock station even more interesting).

Thanks for sharing all the results,
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2013 14:34 |  #1823

Well if my copy needs MA ...that's the Sigma but then my other lenses I own don't have MA values on them. It's about 4 other L's I have.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,461 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 10, 2013 15:07 |  #1824

Invertalon wrote in post #15469045 (external link)
Alan,

I don't really see +8 a problem if you use bodies with MA... Many wont use bodies without MA.

I would find 15 or more in any direction too much. But less than 10? Not a problem.

Also note on your 5Dc that it is only 12 megapixel and not that demanding on lenses with critical focus. I had lenses that required MA on my 5D2 yet perfect with the 5Dc.

The 5dc is as equally as critical in "landing" the shot as much as any other camera. MP has nothing to do with properly locating the focus point. If you miss your mark... you miss your mark.

My early comment about +8MA is just stating the focus is "out" for a brand new lens.

You cannot disregard rebel series and older non MA older bodies. Thats my only point for "basketballfreak".

Varying the MA on a prime is totally unacceptable since this indicates AF issues. Thats going to make that lens unpredictable unless you always know exactly your subject distance for portrait work. Running and gunning may pose a problem unless your shooting thick dof.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2013 15:10 |  #1825

I think I will just continue to think it's user error for me if I get the shot wrong.

EDIT: Maybe Sigma released it on purpose with problems so we would get that USB Port! LOL

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2013 15:59 |  #1826

I have had the sigma 35mm for about a month and I just sold my Canon 35mm L... I liked the 35mm L a lot. I find with the wider focal lengths its easy to miss focus. I have come accustomed to focusing with the canon 35mm L so I didnt have to tweak my skills for the sigma 35mm.

Looking at the box it doesnt excite you, But I guess you can look at it as it gets better as you dive into it with the sigma. When you open the box and pull out the lens I was really surprised at the quality of materials used. The lens has a good heft too it (as most fast glass should have). Comparing it to the Canon 35mm L, I preferred the sigma. But for me I dont buy a lens for the look I buy for the performance.

I will go through a few aspects that I found comparing between the Canon and Sigma.

Focusing: I noticed that the canon was a little quicker to focus from Min Focusing Distance to Infinity. In real world use I didn't notice any difference in focus speed. I think I might be getting a few more keepers in darker conditions (AKA ISO 12,500, F/1.4, 1/50s). \

Another thing I noticed is the full time manual focus which is an attribute for video for me. The canon has a longer throw in focus. The ring moves longer than the sigma to manually focus (going from MFD to Infinity) This is something I typically like when shooting Video. However the focus ring of the sigma is dampened and smoother than the Canon focus ring. I found that its easier to accurately manually focus the Sigma due to the fluidity of the ring. I Like this Lens very much for video.

The Canon 35mm L I had needed to be at a setting of +4 MA to be at its sharpest. The Sigma doesn't need to be adjusted that I have noticed as of yet. Now it took me about 2 months of use for the canon to really dial it in. So this may change for the sigma as it gets used more and more.

Sharpness/Color/Vinget​ting/contrast: This one is not very scientific but just going off of very similar photos taken with the sigma and canon. The sharpness of the Sigma is crazy as most users have been quoting. The canon was what I would call a sharp lens wide open (In the center) but comparing to the Sigma a softness is apparent especially in the corners.

Color: The Canons color is indicative of a L lens the color cast I would categorize the Canon in is toward the cooler/blueish color cast giving a bright and vivid colors. The sigma gives a warm/yellow color cast. Now if you know sigma lenses you know the warm color cast they exhibit. The Sigma 35mm gives a less warm color cast than say the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 but its slight and non intrusive. I prefer the warmth color cast from Sigma. And I appreciate it being more toward the neutral than other sigma lenses as I can always change color if I need too.

Vignetting: I noticed the canon has less vignetting than the sigma. The sigma fall off is quick. But once both are stopped down to f/2 its almost a non issue. I know there have been a few conversations about Vignetting on a lens and a few have gone to say they prefer it which I respect. Although I like and use vignetting, I dont like when a lenes has this much. I know you can fix Vingetting in post but With almost -3EV of light fall off you need to push that vingetting slider pretty high. Where this poses a problem is when you shoot at high ISO and you are pushing exposure things get ugly quickly. I am realistic though, Most/all 35mm f/1.4 lenses have this problem. The only way I could see getting around this is using a Medium Format lens.

Contrast: The Canon had pretty good contrast when stopped down but found contrast was lacking wide open. The Sigma simply has better contrast. I Believe this is a reason why it scores so highly in sharpness. The Micro contrast is very nice on the Sigma and is a huge improvement at f/1.4 over the Canon.

Overall The sigma was a no brainer for me, for a brand new sigma to be $250 less than a Canon 35mm L used I feel sigma has created a nice gem for all of us. I would have kept the Canon if it was a better performer, Thats not the case. With the Sigma I got to upgrade in image quality and money back in my pocket. Its a win win for me.

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions....

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 10, 2013 16:46 |  #1827

^^^ Nice summary.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Earwax69
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 10, 2013 17:44 |  #1828

I just want to say that if you micro-adjust and always get focus on target in any condition (distance, light) then the lens is fine. As each body and lens have different calibration, it's very reasonable to expect some MA with any pixel peeping. I am not afraid of an healthy +10. +18 would be on the edge but +10 you still have a good marging.

However if the lens show random behaviours, it might need replacement. Always buy at a place where they accept returns.

Even if the Sigma 35mm might need some MA (just like all my canon lenses on the 6D), it's not hunting or missing focus like older Sigma design and it's what make it apart the rest. Judging by my sample, the AF is rock solid. It's my best, most enjoyable lens so far.

Canon 6D | S35mm f1.4 | 135mm f2 The rest: T3i, 20D, 15mm f2.8, 15-85mm, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8 macro, 55-250mm.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 10, 2013 20:09 |  #1829

I am going to return my copy and get another... Although mine performs amazing, the MA issue indoors if not normal is a bit of a bummer. This way, if I get another and it does the same thing I know it is common with the lens, or my camera body... But it was recently checked and calibrated by Canon so I dunno...

Lens is simply amazing though. It really does not feel like a third party lens at all. Sigma did amazing...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 10, 2013 20:10 |  #1830

Hope your next one is a keeper Steve.

Neil

sponsored links

674,585 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.