Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 21:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mark ii focusing at weddings

Thestructured
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 10, 2013 21:56 |  #1

I shoot weddings and I currently use two 5d mark ii bodies which are for the most part a pleasure to shoot with. I know many of the most famous wedding photographers shoot with these as well (or, used to). My question is, how the heck do you overcome the shortcomings in autofocus? The center point is great and can even track action reliably, but it's obnoxious to have to poorly compose a shot in camera all the time because that's the only point that IS reliable. Tracking with the outer points is a joke. Focusing and recomposing with the center point during a wedding in dark venues using large apertures often does not work because people are constantly moving, and is tiring. I end up having to crop the crap out of shots on post to get them composed somewhat they want I wanted. Am I missing something here? Or is the exact reason so many jumped on the 5d III when it came out?

2x Nikon D750// nikkor 24-70 2.8g // sigma 35mm 1.4 art// sigma 50mm 1.4 art// nikkor 85mm 1.4g// Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr ii // 4x SB700// WL x3200 + x1600 http://www.marekkphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2013 22:01 |  #2

Yes definitely the reason why I jumped. It saves me from a lot of PP time. There is really only the centre point especially with fast primes. You will notice an improvement on your 50 and 85. I use to hate the 50 on the 5D2, but when I got the 3, it felt like a completely different lens. It came alive so to speak.

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 10, 2013 22:12 |  #3

the only way I could afford a 5d3 is If I sold both of my 5d2's and then I'd have no backup unless I rented. Oh the frustration...

2x Nikon D750// nikkor 24-70 2.8g // sigma 35mm 1.4 art// sigma 50mm 1.4 art// nikkor 85mm 1.4g// Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr ii // 4x SB700// WL x3200 + x1600 http://www.marekkphoto​graphy.com (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2013 22:36 |  #4

Once you use the 5D3 you won't even pick up the 5D2. Such a joy to shoot with. Jusy like you, I had 2x 5D2, I was financially able to keep one and pick up the 5D3. I've had it when it was release and I thought I would use the 5D2 as a backup, instead I just switch the lens over. The 5D2 kind of became a expensive lens holder for me. I'll probably go get that flame suit now..

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 10, 2013 23:22 as a reply to  @ cdang's post |  #5

I wonder how risky it would be to do a few gigs with one camera body....hmmmm. I had a 7d before I got these and while there is really no comparison in image quality, god do i miss the autofocus...

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 10, 2013 23:28 |  #6

Thestructured wrote in post #15473561 (external link)
I wonder how risky it would be to do a few gigs with one camera body....hmmmm. I had a 7d before I got these and while there is really no comparison in image quality, god do i miss the autofocus...

Pretty risky if your reputation is on the line. Surely you have a credit card though? Sell one 5D2, use that and put the rest on the credit card. After a few gigs you should have enough to pay it off. Then do it again for the 2nd body. Paying the interest for a few months will be less than a rental fee by far.

I'd normally never advocate financing a camera (or buying something you don't have cash for in the first place), but this literally is an investment in the business. Better AF, better ISO = more keepers = more possibility of sales.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 10, 2013 23:40 |  #7

If you can shoot wedding with two 5D2s now, then what's the problem? Yes, the 5D3 is better, but if you're really a professional and you're on a budget, and if you feel you really need to upgrade, why not have one of each? It's not that hard to put a wide lens on the 5D2 and shoot with a lens that has inherently more FOV and is less critical to focus, and use a longer lens on the 5D3. Or just use the 5D3 and have the 5D2 as backup only. (BTW, I have one of each, use both of them, and I manage just fine).

Work around the gear you have, we've been doing it ever since photography was invented.

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 11, 2013 00:01 |  #8

i use the 5d2 and i rarely use the center pt.. i use the yn622 trigger's focus assist light to help focusing

Gearlist

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 11, 2013 06:36 |  #9

Thestructured wrote in post #15473561 (external link)

Don't do it. Too much of a risk. Use those same "few gigs" to save up and buy the 5D3 if you feel you really need it.

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 11, 2013 09:49 |  #10

I used to shoot weddings with a 5D2 and a 1D3 backup body. I totally feel your pain. I loved the files from the 5D2 (except the banding and shadow noise) but the autofocus at weddings was TERRIBLE. My keeper rate at a dark reception was in the neighborhood of 30-40%. I sold both bodies and got a couple 5D3's and the very next wedding my keeper rate instantly went to 90%. Tack sharp. Period. I tried using all the outer points in a bunch of different focusing modes, different cases and point groupings etc and I must say that the autofocus blew me away. The 5D3 is what I always wished my 5D2 was... and then some.

If I had only one 5D2 and one 5D3 my 5D2 would most likely sit in my bag most of the day. The 5D3 is that good and your not alone with your focusing issues.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 14, 2013 02:26 |  #11

Thank you everyone for your insight, I'll probably stick with what I have for a while longer. I don't like sticking things on my credit card and I only do this part time right now. I've also toyed with the idea of switching to nikon since the d600 is $1000 cheaper, and the image quality is absolutely amazing.

sponsored links

2,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mark ii focusing at weddings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.