Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Insurance; PPA Benefits?

bmaxphoto
276 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 10, 2013 23:05 |  #1

So I got a quote back from my insurance broker for general business liability and equipment coverage. $1,000,000/$2,000,000 liability, and $5,000 equipment coverage = annual premium $600. Is this reasonable?

Or, should I join PPA and purchase their affiliated liability coverage (similar limits) and free equipment coverage? Might be a bit higher total cost but are other membership benefits worth it?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams

sponsored links
markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 11, 2013 00:43 |  #2

The benefits of insurance through PPA's affiliate may be OK but the quote you got seems fair.
I am a PPA member and I enjoy the group but I purchase my insurance locally for the ability to have a relationship with my insurance rep.
One has to remember that the "deals" that large organizations like PPA get are very similar to what you can get on your own with just a bit of work. I also noted that some national groups get their coverage out of offices no larger than your local guy's office. So even though PPA and other groups offer these benefits they may not represent a real deal to you.

The benefits of PPA are in the indemnity trust and the camaraderie of other working pros that help you succeed in your business.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 11, 2013 00:53 |  #3

yeah, ours is $750 for the year and covers 1m/3m and $30k in equipment. $600 is about right.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2013 08:11 |  #4

Liability alone is usually in the $300-$350 range for that coverage amount so another $300 for $5k in gear isnt too bad. Just make sure the coverage is replacement value not cash value and doesn't have any theft restrictions. Hill and Usher and Tom C Pickard are two of the big names in the photo business for insurance. I would compare any local quote coverage against quotes from those two.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

bmaxphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
276 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 11, 2013 12:24 as a reply to  @ cory1848's post |  #5

Thanks guys. It appears as though the PPA membership is not a huge benefit at first if funds are tight. I can probably get just as good a deal on liability and equipment coverage without the PPA membership. I am still interested in the membership, and will more than likely join at a later date. Thanks for your input. I will get more quotes to compare.

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,410 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 13, 2013 12:23 |  #6

markd61 wrote in post #15473721 (external link)
The benefits of insurance through PPA's affiliate may be OK but the quote you got seems fair.
I am a PPA member and I enjoy the group but I purchase my insurance locally for the ability to have a relationship with my insurance rep.
One has to remember that the "deals" that large organizations like PPA get are very similar to what you can get on your own with just a bit of work. I also noted that some national groups get their coverage out of offices no larger than your local guy's office. So even though PPA and other groups offer these benefits they may not represent a real deal to you.

The benefits of PPA are in the indemnity trust and the camaraderie of other working pros that help you succeed in your business.

I totally agree with all of this, and do the same.

I advocate keeping your banking, your legal representation, your accounting, and your insurance protection with local reps...those are things that when you need them most urgently, you need someone with an office you can sit in.

But for sure, add what PPA has to offer as well. Their Indemnity Trust is something no wedding photographer should do without, and their Studio Management Services is also an important resource. Neither is "free" but each provides a unique service for professional photographers well worth hundreds of times more than you pay.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 15, 2013 12:02 |  #7

PPA looks rather tempting for insurance and I'm curious how the deductible structure compares with other companies.

• $250 for first loss
  • $500 for second loss
  • $750 for third loss, within a rolling 12 month period
  • Additional $250 deductible applies on breakage claims

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2013 20:01 |  #8

bmaxphoto wrote in post #15475317 (external link)
Thanks guys. It appears as though the PPA membership is not a huge benefit at first if funds are tight. I can probably get just as good a deal on liability and equipment coverage without the PPA membership. I am still interested in the membership, and will more than likely join at a later date. Thanks for your input. I will get more quotes to compare.

You should not join the PPA just to get insurance.. thats a bad idea.

You should join the PPA to educate yourself, attend events and network with other photographers. That alone is worth the membership because educating yourself to be a better photographer pays huge dividends. The more you can make, the more you can expand your business and not worry about insurance problems because you can pay someone else to do that for you:cool:

The added benefit of investing in your photography career is that the PPA wants to invest in you as well. So the 15,000.00 equipment insurance is just one thing less thats on your plate and trust me, when you fall into a lake and take $10,000.00 worth of gear for a swim, you will be dam glad you had PPA equipment insurance.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 17, 2013 16:00 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #9

PPA also offers much in the way of business guidance and legal support/advice. It is a good organization to be a part of, if you are a professional.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Insurance; PPA Benefits?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.