Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Serious competition in N. Michigan!

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,681 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 10, 2013 13:48 |  #31

kponds wrote in post #15471199 (external link)
In IT, I cite the Dunning-Kruger effect article on wikipedia at least 3 times a week.

The hard part is getting people to recognize that it applies to them. Sort of a metaproblem.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 10, 2013 13:57 |  #32

Yes, I have certainly been a victim of it as well.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2013 20:43 |  #33

Troll.

(Northern lower penninsula of Michigan ... get it? ;) )

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,681 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 10, 2013 22:32 |  #34

Biffbradford wrote in post #15473014 (external link)
Troll.

No, sorry, I guess this is one joke I need explained, even after looking at a map.

Wikipedia says: "Michigan is the only state to consist of two peninsulas. The Lower Peninsula, to which the name Michigan was originally applied, is often noted to be shaped like a mitten. The Upper Peninsula . . ."

So the northern lower peninsula would be the northern part of the Lower (i.e., more southerly) Peninsula.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 10, 2013 22:39 |  #35

Biffbradford wrote in post #15473014 (external link)
Troll.

there is a phone number. all you need to do is call it and you will know..... I doubt a joker will post their own phone number.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 11, 2013 00:52 |  #36

What I am seeing is a person from an economically depressed area of the country trying to make some money.
For all we know she is a single mom with limited skills and a camera trying to duo whatever she can to bring in some money.
Or maybe she is a 16 year old girl trying to start her business by doing what she loves.
Nope, she is not very good.....yet. But with practice and perseverance she may be kicking your collective butts in two years.
I have seen people in this and other business go from nobody to rock star in two years through hard work and grit and I would not count her out.

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 11, 2013 04:14 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

SethWilliams wrote in post #15468205 (external link)
Pink Mustang Photography - quite a name. My personal favorite is picture of the deer with the tree in focus. Fantastic work!

HEY NOW!!! That's a very special tree trunk (that's why she shot it... she shoots special things). It's not her fault that the stupid deer jumped in front of it and ruined the shot. :rolleyes:

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

brett201
85 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 11, 2013 09:08 |  #38

OhLook wrote in post #15473438 (external link)
No, sorry, I guess this is one joke I need explained, even after looking at a map.

Wikipedia says: "Michigan is the only state to consist of two peninsulas. The Lower Peninsula, to which the name Michigan was originally applied, is often noted to be shaped like a mitten. The Upper Peninsula . . ."

So the northern lower peninsula would be the northern part of the Lower (i.e., more southerly) Peninsula.

Trolls are known to live under bridges. Michigan and its upper peninsular are connected by a bridge. People of the upper peninsular (lovingly) refer to anyone who lives south of the bridge (under the bridge) as trolls.

rcarlton
594 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 11, 2013 09:23 |  #39

Looks like she removed some photos and added new ones. A couple have potential with a little work.

^^^Resent being called a troll coming from middle lower peninsula.:-P Never heard of the U-pers calling us trolls.

Sony α7rii, α6500, Metabones IV, Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8, FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM, FE 50mm f/1.8, EF 70-200L II IS USM f2.8, EF 100mm 1:2.8L IS USM Macro

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 11, 2013 10:41 |  #40

rcarlton wrote in post #15474637 (external link)
^^^Resent being called a troll coming from middle lower peninsula.:-P Never heard of the U-pers calling us trolls.

But we live down under? (Not to be confused with the trolls who live Down Under! :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 11, 2013 10:47 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Nothing new. Nothing to see. Moving along....:cool:

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 11, 2013 15:53 |  #42

Sadly, my ex wife is like this. She does artwork and paints murals on walls, furniture, just about anything you can think of. The problem is that she is painfully slow, does slightly better than average work, and has no formal taining in business or art. her business comes from craigslist and her ambition is to one day make it her full time job.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 11, 2013 21:37 |  #43

If a prospective client thinks those photos are good and actually considers this person's services, they aren't the kind of client you want and would probably never pay a reasonable fee anyhow.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Shane ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 12, 2013 07:10 |  #44

Well, as mentioned, she did update the posting with some better snapshots. Spelling has improved too. Maybe she just meeds eyeglasses and things might be in focus. Those just finding this post and checking out the ad will not see the sarcasm and absolute humor from her original posting! Sorry you missed it!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

Shane ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 12, 2013 15:29 |  #45

See the Dunning -Kruger effect posts earlier glumpy!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

sponsored links

6,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Serious competition in N. Michigan!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.