Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 11, 2013 09:20 |  #9871

gonzogolf wrote in post #15474558 (external link)
Sorry but working that close with the 35 is giving you some unflattering perspective distortion. So I hate to disagree, but the small studio isnt working.

Thanks for the opinion, I have other lens I can use in the studio so with your advice I'll switch to something 50mm or over.

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,702 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2013 09:31 |  #9872

jerefish wrote in post #15474626 (external link)
Thanks for the opinion, I have other lens I can use in the studio so with your advice I'll switch to something 50mm or over.

Id go with the longest lens you can unless youre looking for some distortion. :D

What size beauty dish did you get? :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 11, 2013 09:32 |  #9873

jerefish wrote in post #15474626 (external link)

Yes. To be totally accurate and so the forum geeks dont lynch me its not the lens that causes perspective distortion, but the distance. But the real world effect is that using a wide lens allows you to work close and thus invites the perspective distortion. The longer lens forces you back and thus gives you less of that distortion. The perspective distortion shows in subtle ways that you might not be able to pick out but its there. Noses look bigger and in the case of shots like yours where you are shooting down on her the upper body looks bigger and the legs smaller as they are farther from the camera. I'll try to find a link to a series where someone has taken sample shots of similar framing with a variety of lenses to show the effect.

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 11, 2013 09:33 |  #9874

Jeremy, can you back up? I shoot in a small living room studio that is approx. 12' x 12', but the camera side wall is open, so I can back up and shoot with a 70-200.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 11, 2013 09:50 |  #9875

gonzogolf wrote in post #15474676 (external link)
Yes. To be totally accurate and so the forum geeks dont lynch me its not the lens that causes perspective distortion, but the distance. But the real world effect is that using a wide lens allows you to work close and thus invites the perspective distortion. The longer lens forces you back and thus gives you less of that distortion. The perspective distortion shows in subtle ways that you might not be able to pick out but its there. Noses look bigger and in the case of shots like yours where you are shooting down on her the upper body looks bigger and the legs smaller as they are farther from the camera. I'll try to find a link to a series where someone has taken sample shots of similar framing with a variety of lenses to show the effect.

Thanks for the info all. I do have to admit you came off as if you were trying to tell me to close up my shop altogether instead of just saying that the lens/distance was the issue.

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 11, 2013 09:53 |  #9876

jerefish wrote in post #15474734 (external link)
Thanks for the info all. I do have to admit you came off as if you were trying to tell me to close up my shop altogether instead of just saying that the lens/distance was the issue.

Sorry didnt mean that, just that there are limits to what can be done in a small room.

maxblack
I feel like I'm in danger
2,018 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 11, 2013 16:06 |  #9877

I believe this was the link for the comparison
that gonzogolf was referring to.
It was done by Stephen Eastwood.
For some reson I can't get on his website directly.
Also, it only shows head shots not full body but it shows
the differences in focal lengths pretty well.

http://www.gizmodo.com​.au …-uglify-your-pretty-face/ (external link)

Or this one:

http://prophotocoaliti​on.com …face_controls_p​erspective (external link)

JessDawne2004
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 15, 2013 15:00 |  #9878

I finally get caught up on this thread and its dead lol dang

JAC ­ Wagon
789 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 15, 2013 20:35 |  #9879

Just cause most seniors dont need photos in mid winter lol

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2013 09:10 |  #9880

JessDawne2004 wrote in post #15492601 (external link)

3/4 of the country are in hunker down and dont freeze to death mode. Things will pick up soon.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2013 17:23 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #9881

As soon as it gets above -3,, i have a senior that wants winter photos. But to be frank,, its just been to dam cold to go out and shoot. But when i was in California for the past 4 weeks, I took out my old rebel and shot this of my son racing at his favorite motocross track

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …61-Edit-1_zps576acd71.jpg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 16, 2013 18:35 |  #9882

Its that time of year to work on the spokesmodel program details again and try to get new models for 2014.

Is everyone sticking with their previous details or switching things up? This will be my 3rd year doing it and I am changing it up again. :D No album, just lots of wallets *double sided rep cards from whcc* with my logo on the back of each one.

I wish we had some snow so I could get some outdoor portraits going. :D

Canon investor

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 16, 2013 20:37 |  #9883

umphotography wrote in post #15497744 (external link)
As soon as it gets above -3,, i have a senior that wants winter photos. But to be frank,, its just been to dam cold to go out and shoot. But when i was in California for the past 4 weeks, I took out my old rebel and shot this of my son racing at his favorite motocross track

Great Shot...man-oh-man....I miss those days when I would have been right out there with him. "No Fear".

As for the photo, just shows, it isn't all about the camera...its the person behind it.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 16, 2013 20:39 |  #9884

JessDawne2004 wrote in post #15492601 (external link)

Coming soon....Shooting 7 this weekend in studio. Then 5 of our reps next weekend. 4 boudoirs the rest of this month and two marathons next month with 8 each....so picking up...but then again, we saw our first ice a few nights ago....that's usually about it for us ;)

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 16, 2013 20:46 |  #9885

When everyone comes out of hibernation, let me know if you have had any dealings with CG Pro Prints. Too Good To Be True?

http://www.cgproprints​.com/ (external link)

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

sponsored links

2,739,249 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.