Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 12:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I love my 5DC and don't know if I want a 5D2...hear me out

DreamMaker23
604 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 10, 2013 15:59 |  #16

Crossover37 wrote in post #15470953 (external link)
Disclaimer: I shoot portraits, engagement parties, and weddings.

So I purchased a 5D Mark II after having the 5DC for a year and a half and I liked it a lot but felt the autofocus was the same as my 5DC. So I started thinking to myself, all I got was a body with better High ISO and a better Screen for $1400 and I can barely sell my 5DC for $600? I eventually sold the Mark II after a couple of weeks and decided to just get the Mark III when I save more money.

Yeah there are other advantages of having the Mark II but some disadvantages is the price and the image size. When editing the 21 MP files, it takes my computer a longer time and my computer isn’t slow.

Now that I have my 5DC again I’m looking for a Mark II because it’s a lot cheaper than the Mark III and all I would gain (major benefits) from the Mark III is better autofocus and slightly better High ISO so I don't know if the price is justifiable.

I shot an engagement session the past week (image attached) and the images came out great and I thought, “I really like the 5DC, should I just forget the Mark II and get another lens”? The current lenses I have are the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and the Canon 85mm f1.8

What’s your take on my situation? It’s confusing but this is the dilemma I’m currently going through so I’d like to see if anyone can share some insight.

Ummm...It's kinda a dilemma I see.

But eventrully you will want the best of the best when it comes to not having the best with-in a year or so. I can see that you are clear in what you need but what you like is not in your budget. (sorta say)

But look at it like this: 5DIII has everything you would ever need in a dslr for about 5-10 years, for some people. Maybe even more years...But in the world we live in today, how everything is advancing within a year time. We all want better even if we have a great product with us.

The 5Dc has what you need right.. but what you like it's in the 5D3.

So if you feel you can kick it with the 5Dc for 5-10 years then stay with it and buy it some clothes "lense" :)

Hope this helps!

sponsored links
Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2013 17:19 |  #17

amfoto1 wrote in post #15471271 (external link)
If you are happy with 5D classic, keep it. In fact, maybe pick up a second one to have a backup. So long as it's meeting your needs, if the newer models are not offering anything useful and might even be a problem, you don't have to "upgrade". 5D classic is still an excellent camera and AFAIK, Canon still supports them fully in their service dept. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Independent repair shops will probably support 5D classic long after Canon doesn't.

If the file size of the 5DII is a problem, the file size of the 5DIII will be too. Yes, you can scale them back to mRAW or even sRAW, but that's not your only solution. For one, maybe your computer isn't as up to snuff as you think. Heck, my image processing desktop computer is about 4 years old, nothing all that special : PC with 64 bit Windows 7, dual channel Petium 2.2Ghz processor, a RAM upgrade to 8GB (maxxed out), a graphics acceleration card with 1GB of memory and few other tweaks. I sometimes use a laptop on location, too, which has less RAM (4GB at present) and doesn't have a graphics accelerator. It's fine... sort of depending upon the software.

Do you use Lightroom or Aperture? These and some other similar programs can really streamline your workflow, allowing you to do light image editing and selections, batch process RAW conversions and produce proofs in print or as digital files... so that you only need to do the slower and more detailed Photoshop finishing work (if needed at all) with the final, customer selected images. On my desktop, I have both Lightroom and Photoshop, as well as some other imaging softwares. My laptop only has Lightroom... I don't use it for the more intensive Photoshop work (a laptop is not great for image editing anyway, since we use them under all sorts of lighting conditions and the viewing angle of the smaller screen is so variable).

You are right about the AF system of the 5DII vs the 5D classic. It was a big disappointment when the 5DII was first introduced, that Canon had made no effort to improve the AF. They had already introduced 40D and 50D, which saw significant AF improvments over the 20D and 30D that paralleled the 5DC. So there didn't seem to be any excuse for not improving the 5DII, too. Sure, it got a couple generation newer processor, but because that shares image handling duties along with AF, the larger files sizes of the Mark II sort of nullified any help that might have given the AF. Maybe Canon considered it "adequate" for the FF camera's intended purposes or left the AF unimproved to help keep costs down (better AF, among a few other things, appears to have added $1000 to the cost of the Mark III). Or, maybe Canon was hoping those who wanted FF, 21MP and great AF would ante up the $7500 for the 1DsIII instead.

I never owned a 5D classic for several reasons.... different from yours. I often have to shoot in dusty conditions and already was having enuf problems keeping the sensors of my 30Ds clean. The 5DC had a reputation as a dust magnet. The 5DII has a self-cleaning sensor that made a big difference, for me. It also has a number of other nice, if incremental, improvements over the 5DC (better battery tech, video capabilities, much improved LCD monitor, 21MP/14 bit vs 13MP/12 bit, etc., etc.) Some of those were important to me, but may not be important to you.

If you only have the two lenses as you seem to indicate, then IMHO definitely you should consider expanding those first, before upgrading your camera (though if you shoot for pay, you should have a 2nd 5DC). The 135/2 is a wonderful portrait lens... I ordered one along with my 5DII, since I knew I'd want it (already had 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8). I was returning to full frame after some years shooting only crop cameras, but I knew from shooting film (i.e. "full frame") for about 20 years prior to digital, that I'd definitely want a 135mm... and the Canon 135/2 is a superb lens.

A little more food for thought... Personally, I'd sure want (and have) something wider than 50mm, too. A 35mm, 28mm or even wider is handy for environmental style portraits, showing people in their surroundings, at work or whatever. It's also good for group portraits. Of course, you have to be careful of various wide angle effects when shooting portraits (don't get too close, avoid positioning people too near the edge of the image, etc.)

Thanks for your input. Food for thought.

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2013 17:21 |  #18

delhi wrote in post #15471637 (external link)
Hello,

First off I know many working photographers that lived on 5dc and are successful. With that said if you need the 5d3 and if you are truly running a profitable business, then I am puzzled why you are unable to afford a 5d3. A coupla session or weddings would've paid for it easily. Am I missing something?

Granted the 5d3 is not exactly cheap, but get the right tool for the right job. Amortize it a few years and it really isn't much at all. As long as your business justifies it. So your question on what's my take on your situation? Maybe you need to look at how you run your wedding/portrait/engag​ement gigs. Are you charging properly or is it one of those TFCD stuff?

I don't get a lot of sessions but have recently. I have a wedding in february and another wedding in april possibly. I have a family session at the end of this month as well and we'll see what else. I shot an engagement party last october and a few sessions for Christmas portraits. My average in pay for a session with digital files is $200 and weddings are around $1300.

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2013 17:23 |  #19

DreamMaker23 wrote in post #15471857 (external link)
Ummm...It's kinda a dilemma I see.

But eventrully you will want the best of the best when it comes to not having the best with-in a year or so. I can see that you are clear in what you need but what you like is not in your budget. (sorta say)

But look at it like this: 5DIII has everything you would ever need in a dslr for about 5-10 years, for some people. Maybe even more years...But in the world we live in today, how everything is advancing within a year time. We all want better even if we have a great product with us.

The 5Dc has what you need right.. but what you like it's in the 5D3.

So if you feel you can kick it with the 5Dc for 5-10 years then stay with it and buy it some clothes "lense" :)

Hope this helps!

Yeah I mean of course I want the 5D3 but I won't see much difference in my images because my camera works fine and takes great photos. It's a tough one.

kepa
94 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 10, 2013 20:11 |  #20

I recently made the move from the 5Dc to the 5D III, and what I loved about the former was it's simplicity and the beautiful, beautiful files it produced. However, the 5D III is a totally different animal. It is right people keep commenting on the extra AF points and their accuracy compared to the previous 5Ds, but the thing I notice the most is it's speed. Not the fps, but the manner in which everything is done is so damn smooth and quick. From the silent shutter mode which is incredibly quiet and quick compared to the 5Dc's slow and clunky sound, to the speed in which you can view the picture on the back screen (and the size of the backscreen!), to the speed in focusing and more. The 5D III is an incredibly slick, well oiled machine compared to the 5Dc. Now, if I could have kept my older 5D I would have, it's a remarkable camera and can hold it's own so many years (in the digitial dslr world) after it was first launched. But I have been blown away by the Mark III, and though the benefits may seem marginal to some on paper, it really is completely different in the real world. I suggest going out and handling one in store.

ctrout
53 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 10, 2013 20:18 |  #21

You could rent the 5D3 for a few days to see if it's really everything that you want/need.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …ras/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,457 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2013 00:29 |  #22

Crossover37 wrote in post #15470953 (external link)
Disclaimer: I shoot portraits, engagement parties, and weddings.

So I purchased a 5D Mark II after having the 5DC for a year and a half and I liked it a lot but felt the autofocus was the same as my 5DC. So I started thinking to myself, all I got was a body with better High ISO and a better Screen for $1400 and I can barely sell my 5DC for $600? I eventually sold the Mark II after a couple of weeks and decided to just get the Mark III when I save more money.

Yeah there are other advantages of having the Mark II but some disadvantages is the price and the image size. When editing the 21 MP files, it takes my computer a longer time and my computer isn’t slow.

Now that I have my 5DC again I’m looking for a Mark II because it’s a lot cheaper than the Mark III and all I would gain (major benefits) from the Mark III is better autofocus and slightly better High ISO so I don't know if the price is justifiable.

I shot an engagement session the past week (image attached) and the images came out great and I thought, “I really like the 5DC, should I just forget the Mark II and get another lens”? The current lenses I have are the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and the Canon 85mm f1.8

What’s your take on my situation? It’s confusing but this is the dilemma I’m currently going through so I’d like to see if anyone can share some insight.

OP, my deep respect for you. Only few posts since you registered here, only two non-L primes, one old camera and you were able to get photo jobs and take wonderful picture.
How different to many of us.
I'll say 135L and, or mkII for videography.
But you know better anyway. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. You are - photographer.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 11, 2013 06:37 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I am a casual/hobby shooter. I've had my 5D for about a month. I looked at the 5D2. It offered me nothing that would improve my photos for my extra $1,000. The only differences are in the 'useability' category; higher ISO, better rear-screen, yada-yada. I have no interest in the 5D2. The 5D3 is too much money for me, right now.

Gear List

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2013 09:07 |  #24

kepa wrote in post #15472893 (external link)
I recently made the move from the 5Dc to the 5D III, and what I loved about the former was it's simplicity and the beautiful, beautiful files it produced. However, the 5D III is a totally different animal. It is right people keep commenting on the extra AF points and their accuracy compared to the previous 5Ds, but the thing I notice the most is it's speed. Not the fps, but the manner in which everything is done is so damn smooth and quick. From the silent shutter mode which is incredibly quiet and quick compared to the 5Dc's slow and clunky sound, to the speed in which you can view the picture on the back screen (and the size of the backscreen!), to the speed in focusing and more. The 5D III is an incredibly slick, well oiled machine compared to the 5Dc. Now, if I could have kept my older 5D I would have, it's a remarkable camera and can hold it's own so many years (in the digitial dslr world) after it was first launched. But I have been blown away by the Mark III, and though the benefits may seem marginal to some on paper, it really is completely different in the real world. I suggest going out and handling one in store.

Interesting. So those things you mentioned justifies the price. I checked it out in the store and it was nice.

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2013 09:08 |  #25

kf095 wrote in post #15473697 (external link)
OP, my deep respect for you. Only few posts since you registered here, only two non-L primes, one old camera and you were able to get photo jobs and take wonderful picture.
How different to many of us.
I'll say 135L and, or mkII for videography.
But you know better anyway. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. You are - photographer.

Thank you for the compliment and for your recommendations.

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2013 09:09 |  #26

TSchrief wrote in post #15474164 (external link)
I am a casual/hobby shooter. I've had my 5D for about a month. I looked at the 5D2. It offered me nothing that would improve my photos for my extra $1,000. The only differences are in the 'useability' category; higher ISO, better rear-screen, yada-yada. I have no interest in the 5D2. The 5D3 is too much money for me, right now.

Yeah, that's what I felt when I initially bought the Mark II. Mark III at least would have a better autofocus system and would be fine for me for a few years.

Jon_Doh
872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 11, 2013 09:09 |  #27

You're right about the 5dII - it's just the 5dc with more megapixels. If you want/need improved autofocus, metering and ISO then save up for the 5dIII. Otherwise, decide which suits your needs - 12mp or 21mp.

I use a Kodak Brownie

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,912 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 11, 2013 13:40 |  #28

another big advantage of the 5D2 is video. My video collection is tiny, but the videos I have are amazing. The 5D2 replaced a $500 camcorder for me, and although it's not a true replacement, I've figured out the shortcomings and can live with it.

I'm so impressed with the videos that I can never buy a DSLR that cant do video. Live view is also a must have feature

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Crossover37
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2013 14:03 |  #29

I'm looking at buying a Mark II with 10K Shutter Count and a 135mm L lens for $2000 total. Both in near mint condition.

I'm tempted to buy the combo and skip the Mark III especially since I can sell my 85mm f1.8 because I would mainly use the 135mm f2 instead.

Would that be a better decision over just buying the Mark III? Mark III $2800 / the Mark II with 135 F2 lens would be $1680 after I sell my 85mm f1.8.

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 11, 2013 14:21 |  #30

Crossover37 wrote in post #15475691 (external link)
I'm looking at buying a Mark II with 10K Shutter Count and a 135mm L lens for $2000 total. Both in near mint condition.

I'm tempted to buy the combo and skip the Mark III especially since I can sell my 85mm f1.8 because I would mainly use the 135mm f2 instead.

Would that be a better decision over just buying the Mark III? Mark III $2800 / the Mark II with 135 F2 lens would be $1680 after I sell my 85mm f1.8.

I would think, for your current income the MkII and 135 is the better option. After you sell the 85, the Mk II option would be even cheaper

sponsored links

3,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
I love my 5DC and don't know if I want a 5D2...hear me out
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.