Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How is the <$2000 D600 so much better than 5DmIII ???

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2013 07:46 |  #16

D600 doesn't even come close to 5D3 in its autofocus system, and you cant fix out of focus no matter how much dynamic range you have.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 12, 2013 07:52 |  #17

My opinion - Just go rent each body at relatively low cost, shoot the subjects that you shoot, and go the direction that fits your needs.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,008 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2013 07:56 |  #18

Remember, DxO is rating the sensor, not the camera. We all know that Canon is falling behind pretty much everyone when raw sensor performance is the only criteria used. But there is more to a camera than a sensor alone. DxO is a great site with lots of raw data but you have to educate yourself a bit on how they do their work. Looking at their numbers and assuming it's rating the total package is just plain wrong.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 12, 2013 07:57 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Mastamarek wrote in post #15478314 (external link)
DXO opinion is worth nothing to any photographer. They should actually pay me to visit and read that website. Thats how much bollox is there :]

Well if you just look at their ratings, then I agree...but if you actually dig deeper and look at the details of their tests, you might actually learn something. The data from their testing does not lie. You might not like the results and bash them...but they are very scientific with their testing process.

Much more than taking a picture of their cat and claiming it is sharp.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 12, 2013 07:59 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

gh patriot wrote in post #15478381 (external link)
D600 doesn't even come close to 5D3 in its autofocus system, and you cant fix out of focus no matter how much dynamic range you have.

If you can't get sharp photos with the D600, don't look at the camera for the problem...look about 1 foot behind the camera too see the real problem.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,686 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2013 07:59 |  #21

Hogloff wrote in post #15478400 (external link)
Well if you just look at their ratings, then I agree...but if you actually dig deeper and look at the details of their tests, you might actually learn something. The data from their testing does not lie. You might not like the results and bash them...but they are very scientific with their testing process.

Seriously. Everyone knows to use a duck instead.

Shane
flickr (external link)

KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 12, 2013 08:01 |  #22

Hogloff wrote in post #15478400 (external link)

Ironically enough, taking a picture of a cat and judging how sharp it is, is much closer to real world testing than scientific mumbo jumbo that in the end doesn't really tell you how the camera/lens performs in a given situation.

My gallery (external link)

hyogen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 12, 2013 08:04 |  #23

nccb wrote in post #15478392 (external link)
My opinion - Just go rent each body at relatively low cost, shoot the subjects that you shoot, and go the direction that fits your needs.

Good idea

justinleewedding.com (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Nikon D750x2, D610 / 20mm 2.8 / 24mm 1.4 / 35mm 1.4 / 45mm 2.8 PC-E / 50mm 1.8 / 58mm 1.4 / 55mm 2.8 micro / 85mm 1.8 / 70-200mm 2.8
50% off sample albums for photographers (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 12, 2013 08:11 |  #24

DXO mark is a measurement. It's good to have such measurements to help make decisions. Some measurements that helped me make the decision is how many backup memory slots did the 6D have? And how many high-precision and cross-type AF points the 6D had. And how good the buffer is.

So for a $500 difference, I chose the 5D3.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,803 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2013 08:15 |  #25

Sony's sensors are the real deal. Canon needs to step its game up (in a lot of ways)

Like others say though, there's more to a camera than its sensor. The 5D Mark III has significantly better AF system than the D600, and even the D800. IMO, the AF system in the 5D mark III make it a better portrait, sports, and event camera. The D800's dynamic range makes it a better landscape camera.

Interestingly enough, I know someone who jumped ship for the 5D III when the D800 came out. He said that the D800 is 'slow' in comparison.

It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,686 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2013 08:19 |  #26

OP, I think if you upgrade and continue to take the same shots that are on your 500px, you will be sadly disappointed. I had an idea the other day to start a thread called "Look at this terrible shot". I wanted to do it because sometimes I cant believe the garbage that comes out of my 5D3 and 70-200L II. My favorite image from last year was a shot I took just minutes after one of those "man, that looks like garbage" shots. Same lens, same camera, same subject. What was different? We moved about 10 feet to a different area of shade. It really is all about the light, and then some good post work. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2013 08:21 |  #27

Hogloff wrote in post #15478403 (external link)
If you can't get sharp photos with the D600, don't look at the camera for the problem...look about 1 foot behind the camera too see the real problem.

Give me a break, your not saying that the autofocus system of the D600 compares to the 5D3 are you? My keepers at a dark wedding venue went from 30-40% with my 5D2 to 90% in focus with my 5D3's. Are you suggesting that I just suddenly got twice as good at focusing over night or did the autofocus system have something to do with it???

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,686 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2013 08:23 |  #28

gh patriot wrote in post #15478450 (external link)
Give me a break, your not saying that the autofocus system of the D600 compares to the 5D3 are you? My keepers at a dark wedding venue went from 30-40% with my 5D2 to 90% in focus with my 5D3's. Are you suggesting that I just suddenly got twice as good at focusing over night or did the autofocus system have something to do with it???

Im with you in this regard. The Mark III AF is ridiculously good. I almost see no point in it having one shot AF mode.

Shane
flickr (external link)

chrisgerman1983
247 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2013 08:23 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #29

IMO the D600 feels kinda cheap. I could really put my finger on what specifically made it feel that way? The shutter sound doesn't make me drool like higher end Canon's. doesn't sound as cheap as my T3I but that's expected. I know The sound of the shutter shouldn't matter but for some reason it does to me :oops:

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 12, 2013 08:24 |  #30

hyogen wrote in post #15477757 (external link)
This isn't meant to be a troll thread, but take it as you will...

http://www.dxomark.com …/795|0/%28brand​2%29/Canon (external link)

94 vs 81... I only thought to look at comparisons after I heard my pro photographer friend talking about it--he said he was gonna do some side-by-side testing of his own.

These DxOMark tests are pretty objective, aren't they?

They are objective, but they are boiling down three characteristics of a sensor into a single number. If their weighting doesn't match your interests, then the score is pretty meaningless.

IMO their 'color depth' rating is generally of no interest to anyone. It's a measure of color noise at low ISO, which has certainly never been a problem for me. And color noise reduction is so easy and so non-destructive....well, who cares?

Their DR rating is important, especially to certain photographers. People who have a strong need for large DR (especially landscape photographers) will very much care about this rating. If I was a landscape photographer trying to pick between Canon and Nikon right now, I would get a Nikon without a moment's hesitation.

And finally, their 'sports' rating (or whatever they call it) is about luminance noise at high ISO. I personally care about this, and Canon and Nikon seem to be pretty competitive these days.

So in a nutshell, the Nikon (Sony) sensors are better, and they are really better if you are the kind of person that really needs DR. They are not much different if you need high ISO / low noise.

And then remember that DxO ratings do not cover anything else about the camera. They are only sensor ratings. For me personally, the 5D3 is a better camera than the Nikon D800 (for example), but there are certainly people would find the opposite for their own needs.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

18,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
How is the <$2000 D600 so much better than 5DmIII ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.