Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2013 (Monday) 13:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are your thoughts on putting makeup on kids for photos?

ceeceephotos
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 07, 2013 13:07 |  #1

I've seen it here and there and it really turns me off. I'm talking little kids not teens. Like putting bright lipstick and eyeliner on a 7 yr old for a more dramatic effect. Even if you are going for dramatics I still don't like it all that much. Any time I see it I think of the little girls all made up in beauty pagents...LOL...even if that's not what the photographer/parent/ch​ild was going for I can't help but think of that.

sponsored links
emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2013 13:09 |  #2

I also can't help but think of that. I would say no to makeup ... maybe glossy lip gloss, but nothing more. There's really nothing like a child's natural beauty!

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

ceeceephotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 07, 2013 13:15 |  #3

Yes, exactly...a little lip gloss fine. I just recently saw a group of photos posted by a photographer I have enjoyed seeing work from and she was doing some new theme of hers which included makeup on these little girls. The mascara, broad eyeliner and bright lipstick. I just didn't like the looks she was going for.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2013 13:22 |  #4

I think you could get away with a makeup artist doing stuff on a little kid but I'd say definitely no on the dive bar hooker look.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sammz
127 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 11, 2013 06:49 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #5

Less is more, just a little lipgloss maybe x

Facebook Fan Page (external link)
My website (external link)

Caffrey123
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 12, 2013 15:45 |  #6

I photograph little girls more often than anything and run into this issue frequently. I find that mothers will sometimes put mascara or a little lip gloss on their daughters...but it can be as much as full foundation & eye makeup at times. If it was up to me then I would have them all natural with maybe a little Vaseline or lip-balm on their lips and a tiny spot of vaseline on eyelashes to make them pop naturally. Anything other on girls younger than 13 looks a little too much in my opinion. However, my opinion does not matter all that much when I am being paid by a client. I give them styling tips, but they are free to wear whatever they want. If non-tasteful make-up is too obvious to hide in post-processing, I won't share it or use it in my portfolio.

Silver72
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 25, 2013 12:41 as a reply to  @ Caffrey123's post |  #7

Hi all. My 2 cents is no to make up. The only time I would've used make up I felt i could draw attention to the eyes using light and a bit of PS magic.

Rehab is for quitters

sponsored links

1,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are your thoughts on putting makeup on kids for photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.