Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 07:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lack of inquries/bookings -- Website not converting?

pickle1
209 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2013 21:26 |  #61

While I agree with a lot of the constructive criticism the one thing that really grabbed me was that you state that you are a premier photographer in your area. Your site is not reflecting that.

Your 'about me' photograph is too casual for what you are trying to convey as premier.

I am not trying to beat you up, just be comfortable where you are, convey to your customer's who you are, and continue to improve your skills.

Owner of Deevers Photography
Stop by and visit deeversphoto.com

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 13, 2013 00:18 |  #62

Stop calling the pricing 'investment' it's honestly one of the worst trends in people photography. Just call it what it is. I recently booked a headshot session for myself and x'ed out of every photographer's page who called their pricing an 'investment.' It's not an investment. I know this is a recent trend but it bugs me to no end. There is no investment. You are not putting money into a family photo session in hopes that it will make you more money in the future.

Your site is fine I think. What I am seeing is that you aren't making an effort to SELL YOURSELF - this is one of the first things you can learn. People are paying you for you. You can have amazing work but not do anything to sell yourself and you'll get no money, ever. Make a behind the scenes video of you at work. Get a couple nice shots of you in action. Show how you are different than every other joe blow out there with a camera. Show that you're fun to work with, you're professional, and you get the job done. Yes you can spiel on about how a wedding is a new horizon and blah blah blah but nobody cares. You need to go on about how YOU are worth the money. What do you bring to the table? It needs to be more than a portfolio, especially when you are selling to people. I just think your site needs a little more on the personality. You have a whole bunch about what you can do but it doesn't tell me anything about your style or how fun it is to work with you. Don't tell me - show me!

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

AdoriaPhotography
55 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 21, 2013 00:17 |  #63

Hi Drew,
The first image on your home page of the couple kissing is great.It seems to be the strongest image in your portfolio and looks like it was taken with a better level of camera and lenses than most of the other pictures.

Of the pictures in your portfolio that I could see EXIF data, I see you have used a Canon EOS REBEL T2i with an EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens.

I know the gear doesnt make a photographer, but I feel your wedding porfolio needs at least 80% of the images to be more like the first one. If you havent upgraded your gear already, rent or borrow a full frame body and some L series lenses for your next few weddings and strengthen your portfolio with more images like the first one.

My wife is in the same boat with her website where initally most of her images were shot on her older equipment before she started making a business out of photography. I'm slowly convicing her to let go of some of her old favourites and replace them with stronger images shot with the pro level gear.

Regards, Steve - Adoria Photography (external link)
---------------
5d MKii | 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM ii | 24-70mm F2.8L | 50 F1.4 | 28-135 IS USM | Phottix Odin | Phottix Strato ii | 580ex2 | 430ex2 | 2 x YN-560ii | Kacey Beauty Reflector

nikanon
57 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2013 00:31 |  #64

just from looking at your website...I find it weird that you have call or text at the top. It just doesn't look right to me. Also you look like a young guy. Maybe some people get weary that you are a young guy. I'm 30 years old and I personally would feel comfortable seeing a older person. I'm not sure why...maybe its because a older person seems like they have more experience. Also the website seems too plain. I'm a fan of simplicity but it seems too simple. Maybe add some music? Maybe add some testimonials? just some ideas. good luck. I hope business picks up for you.

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 21, 2013 11:17 |  #65

I'm with the people that say stop using investment for pricing, I have to believe there are a number of people who get turned off simply because it sounds expensive.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

NewHorizonPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 23, 2013 16:45 as a reply to  @ 1000WordsPhotography's post |  #66

Thank you for all of the recent suggestions. I have implemented lots of the easier to accomplish ideas. Others will take time like developing a stronger portfolio, integrating my "personality" into the site, building my blog, etc. As far as equipment goes, I am still shooting with the rebel t2i and t3i with a kit lens, nifty fifty, and nifty 250. My next planned upgrades will be in lenses, and if my bookings allow for it I will also add a 5dmk3 to the arsenal and relieve the t2i from duty.

Good news on the analytic front. Webpage engagement is higher than ever. Bounce rate is much lower than before with the old site. Down from 40% to about 15%. Time spent on page has gone up substantially(not including all the hits from POTN) from about 1min50sec to just under 4mins. I take this to mean I am heading in the right direction.

Since making the website change I have already received a couple of inquiries. No firm bookings yet, but several appear to be near.

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 23, 2013 17:54 |  #67

I have not read all the comments - sorry way too many, but most of what I read are really good. I will give a few comments on your site:

I see no call to action - Took me awhile to figure out the link "Investment" was where I went to find out what you were offering. Are you a photographer or do you give investment advice. Sorry I am in product marketing and I am a big believer in not letting people try to guess what you are trying to sell.

Your site is way too wordy, people want to get some quick answers to why they should hire you for their photography needs. They have probably visited 10 sites before yours and will probably visit the same amount after viewing your site. They want some basic answers:
1- Quality - is the photographer any good.
2- Packages - Does the photographer offer what I want
3- Cost - Can I get what I want for my budget
4- Recommendations - Want to see testimonials
5- Contact info - How to reach photographer

I know everyone prefers customer to contact them to get 2 & 3, but the reality is most will not. Clients are busy, and there is a lot of competition. If I can get everything I need by sitting at the web for several hours I will then contact the few photographers that made my cut on the 5 items above. I will not bother with sites that take too long to navigate to get my answers.

On the main page of a site, when it comes to words - less will be better. Save your speeches for 3rd level links. If someone wants more detail they will look for the detail. If you make me read a lot to find out the basics I am just going to close your site and move to the next photographer. One of the biggest mistakes people make with web sites is designing them on how they want customers to use them instead of finding out how customer want to use use them and will use the site. It the site is too hard to navigate they will just move on.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2013 00:24 |  #68

My instant reaction to being on your site: it feels corporate.

Seriously, it's a few changes away from being a website for a local dentist. The colors, layout, logo, font, even your well-intentioned stock-photo-esque portrait...all sterile. Great for a dentist, not great for a wedding photographer.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend getting on pinterest. Search for wedding stuff. Learn what brides are into. I'll give you a hint - for the most part it looks and sounds nothing like your website. So if I'm one of the million brides-to-be out there that has a pinterest board full of popular, trendy stuff, I know - intuatively - the second I get to your website that I'm not going to find what I'm looking for. I'm guessing that most people are subconsciously turned off before they even see your images.

The wedding market is FIERCELY competitive and incredibly saturated, especially in your price tier. Image and branding is in some ways more important than the quality of your work.

All that aside, I think you would be well-served to ask yourself one seemingly dumb yet incredibly serious question: What do you offer that people can't get from someone else?

If your answer involves a cliche story about capturing transient moments, you're probably in trouble.

If your answer involves a low price, you're probably toast.

joe

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2013 00:29 |  #69

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15463515 (external link)
Take another look at your website and ask yourself what are your USP's (unique selling points). Why would a bride hire you over the next person? Take a look at your competition's websites and ask yourself would you hire you over them and if so why? What is your selling point?

See, this is what I get for not reading the whole thread.

Oh well. It bears repeating. In fact, print that quote out 3 feet wide and tape it above your bed.

Zebedee123
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 30, 2013 11:06 |  #70

Wow - there is some great advice on this thread - now I have read the whole thing can I have a link to the new site so I can view it please?
Thanks

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/ (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphy (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2013 21:12 |  #71

I cannot see your website. So let me answer without that knowledge.
If people are viewing your work online with the intention of hiring a photographer, but do not hire you, your work and or your pricing does not meet their requirements. If this happens a lot, then you work and or pricing does not meet or exceed normal expectations in your market.

Again I cannot see your website, but that's okay. You need to be hiring people from personal and business connections. Don't wait for people to come to you, go to them. Sell you, your work and create value.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2013 21:17 |  #72

One more thing as I read "up" through the comments. You seem concerned with data analytics. Don't be, I love data, but it often only tells us what we want to see, we can skew it in any direction.
Go out and sell yourself!

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links

6,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lack of inquries/bookings -- Website not converting?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.