Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

any reason to get the 6D over the D600?

jorkata
213 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2013 17:27 |  #61

RobDickinson wrote in post #15479778 (external link)
Jorkata afik hasnt posted a single photo to this board as far as I can see.

So, only those who post photos are allowed to comment ???.

I pay for my Canon gear, you know - and I'm fully entitled to share my opinion about it.

sponsored links
jorkata
213 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2013 17:38 |  #62

El Pedro wrote in post #15479763 (external link)
I'm a consumer. I spent $2000 on this camera.

People certainly have different preferences and priorities.

My opinion is just that - my opinion. Yours is equally valid too.
And neither yours, nor mine, is the absolute truth.

It's interesting that a critical opinion about the 6D is provoking such a reaction.
Reminds of the reaction of 7D owners when they are told that the 7D sensor is noisy.

Oh, well. You guys enjoy your 6Ds.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 12, 2013 17:47 |  #63

RobDickinson wrote in post #15477699 (external link)
Your right apart from the everything bit.

Also your forgetting the 5d was initially a 20d beefed up, just like the 6d is a 60d beefed up.

Its a hugely capable camera if you have a clue. These are all in the last week or so.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/8370803​185/  (external link)
An awful waste of space (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/8367192​702/  (external link)
Just another.... (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/8350313​873/  (external link)
What goes around... (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/8345469​854/  (external link)
A storm builds (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/8326997​048/ (external link)
Scarborough Seascape (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

end of thread [/THREAD] Wow....

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 12, 2013 18:32 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

jorkata wrote in post #15480148 (external link)
Oh, well. You guys enjoy your 6Ds.

Well thank-you! I am! And that's an absolute truth!

Dave

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 21:37 |  #65

I am new here so I have to watch what I say about Canons.... but...... a friend of mine has a 6d and to tell you the truth, it feels like a toy compared to a 7d or a 5d i/ii/iii. To me the WI FI and GPS are gimmicks that canon used to come up with something new. The d600 is amazing. I shot it a couple of times at a camera store and loved it. The focus points pop up so fast and it is quick. Not to put down the 6d but i am sure when you hold the 2 and shoot a few shots with them you will be able to tell the difference. Canon has a one up though on the d600 cause it came out after so they could kind of "fix" the issues that Nikon missed. Still I would not get the 6d.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2013 22:04 as a reply to  @ milleniumking's post |  #66

If starting out then I wouldnt recommend anyone going Canon. Unfortunately Nikon is currently producing better cameras at better prices. If you have Canon glass then stick with Canon if you want. The differences arent major enough to force anyone to switch, but if you want to switch then thats fine too.
I never understand people getting so defensive about recommending a Nikon.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 12, 2013 22:11 |  #67

Pick the tool that works best for you, theres so little effective difference in the abilities of each.

I considered the d800 but I prefer canons lens lineup.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,477 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2013 22:42 |  #68

RobDickinson wrote in post #15481069 (external link)
...I prefer canons lens lineup.

'Nuff said. Better glass on the Canon side. :cool:

Mark J.
Gear

dufflover
315 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 12, 2013 23:41 |  #69

The price gap has tightened now (guess Canon realized how stupid their initial prices were lol) but previously the Nikon D600 was vastly cheaper than the Canon 6D and offered a far better feature set. Neither camera is "crap" but I know if I hadn't have any Canon gear the D600 just screams better value, not to mention IMO like some reviews Canon seem to like gutting cameras, not a way to get customers onside. On another forum people were saying things like "that's ok I only use centre point anyway", but when posed why they'd pay more for less, they had no answer except the Canon was still a good camera. Similarly just because both cameras can take good photos in the right hands, it is still no reason to pay more for less with people's own hard earned ... unless it's not their hard earned lol
Borrowed a friend's D90 once to help him shoot a work event; was definitely weird to use but I got the general hang of it in the end. Not a deal breaker for anyone genuine about brand difference discussions. Similarly after using a 50D/60D side-by-side for a while, it is hardly actually a toy that instantly breaks (and I've accidentally dropped mine once ...).

Now with that rant over LOL, as someone who would've love a D600 style camera but not going to switch from Canon, I'm just waiting. Stepped up my 50D to a 7D (2nd hand, cheap, no way buying new 4-year old technology) and staying with it. If you can justify it I'd say +1 to the 5D3 too.

(as you may have guessed I'm a very stingy person lol)

"Duffman, could you bring in two bottles of smooth, untainted DUFF?""Oh Yeah!"
Main gear: Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Sig 120-300/2.8 OS, Can 100-400, Can 70-200/2.8L II, Can 1.4x-II, Can 2x-III, Tam 17-50/2.8, Tam 90/2.8 macro

My Flickr (feel free to critique!) (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 12, 2013 23:51 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

RobDickinson wrote in post #15481069 (external link)
Pick the tool that works best for you, theres so little effective difference in the abilities of each.

I considered the d800 but I prefer canons lens lineup.

But from your examples they are all scapes, and how is the 6D the best tool???

I mean Nikon has a clear upperhand on DR, and all you need is 14-24 and zeiss 21....

I bet that's better than a 6D with any lens...

One of my friend who only shoots scapes have just switched from 5D2 to D800E and she's loving it.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 12, 2013 23:55 |  #71

You thing dynamic range is a problem in those photos? BTW they are all from in camera jpgs. I still havnt touched the raws.

6d is canons cheapest full frame body, and is better than the 5d3 for 95% of landscapes.

As for lenses I will take the 24tsemkII over the 14-24, I can also buy the cz21 in canon mount.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 13, 2013 00:01 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

RobDickinson wrote in post #15481358 (external link)
You thing dynamic range is a problem in those photos?

No. That's not what I meant. But if you ask 99% of scapers, having better DR will always be preferable and beneficial.

One thing is for sure. 6D (well more like Canon) is definitely NOT the best tool for scapes atm.

6d is canons cheapest full frame body, and is better than the 5d3 for 95% of landscapes.

It isn't better but no worse of course. 5D3 makes no senses for scapers. But I would still pick D600 over 6D for landscapes for pretty much the same price.

As for lenses I will take the 24tsemkII over the 14-24, I can also buy the cz21 in canon mount.

Fair enough

The only reason why one would pick D600 over 6D is mainly due to being tied up to Canon already. I have no doubt recommending D600 to someone if starting from scratch.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 13, 2013 00:05 |  #73

As I said, nothing wrong with a d600 , or d800, but there no use if I want to use canon lenses.

14-24 has issues, I dont like either uwa on nikon, their tilt shifts are average. YMMV.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 13, 2013 05:49 |  #74

the.forumer wrote in post #15463463 (external link)
sorry guys, a little more active in the forums nowadays as i've been trying out different cameras and just sold my 5d2 away for fresh $$$.

i've been reading a lot of reviews (both user and site) on the 6D vs D600, and it appears that there are very few advantages to getting the 6D. don't get me wrong - i really want to prove myself wrong because i still have a ton of L glass to clear if i were to jump camp.. but it seems difficult for me to justify the 6D purchase now.

Here's one advantage of the 6D that may not be mentioned: its high ISO is better.

It's not necessarily better in terms of the total noise, but it's better in terms of banding. As in there is none on the 6D at high ISOs, but it's there on the D600.

Low ISO, on the other hand, is another story. The D600 has a couple of stops of dynamic range over the 6D. However, note that the darkest couple of stops is where the banding exists, so the deepest shadows are not artifact free. But it's better than the 6D, since the 6D has nothing at all in that range.

Another advantage that the 6D may have over the D600, depending on your preferences: ergonomics. The grip on the 6D is larger and more accommodating than the one on the D600. If you have larger hands (as I do), you may prefer the feel of the 6D. The feel of the D600 isn't bad, mind you, but I find the Canon cameras to be a better fit.

How do I know all this? Because my evil friend gave me a D600 for Christmas, even though he knows I shoot a Canon 7D. So I've been dragged kicking and screaming into both the full frame world and the world of the dark side simultaneously! :lol:

As for the autofocus system on the D600, I'm surprisingly impressed with it. While it does cluster around the center (though not as badly as the 5D2/6D, at least horizontally), it is surprisingly good. Even the line-style points don't ever seem to miss. The difference between the line-type points and the cross-type points is primarily the amount of light they're sensitive to. The hit rate of the autofocus system is amazingly good for still shots, even if you leave it in servo mode.

As long as you can get used to the ergonomics and don't have much invested in full frame compatible lenses, the D600 will work nicely. If you shoot mostly high ISO (6400 and up) or have large hands, the 6D may work better for you.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 13, 2013 08:19 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #75

I found one 6D review where is a short D600/6D comparision:
http://www.digitalcame​rainfo.com …Digital-Camera-Review.htm (external link)

But the closest competitor is certainly Nikon’s aforementioned D600. Averaging together all our scores and test results, the two are on extremely equal footing. The 6D will rank slightly ahead, but that’s a technicality and ultimately these two should be considered equivalent. Yet the way in which these two models earned their overall scores is distributed very differently. Canon earned top marks in more tests, like color accuracy, noise reduction, a slight edge in dynamic range, and white balance. Yet many of these factors irrelevant to those who plan on shooting RAW and processing afterward. The D600 earned a far better score in arguably our most important test too: sharpness, and this translates to sharper videos as well. The D600 also boasts superior autofocus speed and settings, plus additional minor features like a built-in interval timer.

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

sponsored links

39,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
any reason to get the 6D over the D600?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.