Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 11 Jan 2013 (Friday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To Flicker or not to Flicker...

DSallee
34 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 11, 2013 23:34 |  #1

Hey gang,
Well, its been a while since my last post. Had a LOT going on the last few years and want to dive back into photography. I no longer have the website I had so hosting my own pics is not an option at this time. I see some of you use Flicker and some others use different places...

In your opinion, What/where is the best (free or inexpensive) place to host pics??

Thanks
Dave

Gear: Canon 1Ds MKII | Canon 28-90mm | Sigma 70-300mm
Model Mayhem (external link)~My JPG Magazine Profile (external link)

sponsored links
Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,028 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 11, 2013 23:37 |  #2

I really like smugmug as far of privacy of showing your photos or not showing them. Also makes it very easy to group them. But Flickr is not a bad option other then it's kind of a social media website know and not so much just hosting your photos.

website (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 13, 2013 00:33 |  #3

If you're looking at paying, IMO, Zenfolio is much better than smugmug.

For free, Flickr is very good with their re-sizing algorithms and is very user friendly. It is limited though with the free account (200 photos, maybe?). I think the "pro" version of flickr is ~$24/yr.. Well worth it, IMO.

imgur is probably the simplest site if you're just looking for quick hosting of some photos, with no real portfolio/gallery kind of functionality.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 13, 2013 12:18 |  #4

I think what you get for youre money is worth it on all of them.

I am using flickr mainly as a way to sell pictures through Getty images. But I also apreciate it as a great backup tool. With a pro account you do get unlimited space, can upload youre original jpg, and still keep it away from public. Flickr do gives the imprecion that they have been sleeping in the classroom. They haven't realy done much improvement the last 4 years. But that can change.

For me it is worth the money, mainly becouse I am selling pictures through flickr.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 13, 2013 14:20 |  #5

BrandonSi wrote in post #15481431 (external link)
If you're looking at paying, IMO, Zenfolio is much better than smugmug.

For free, Flickr is very good with their re-sizing algorithms and is very user friendly.

..with added sharpening

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2013 18:15 |  #6

For free, Picasa / Google+ simply because they let you download full res photos so it doubles as a backup storage. Last I checked Flicker did not allow full res downloads on free accounts.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,263 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 13, 2013 18:18 |  #7

If one is just looking to host their images, to refer people there for viewing and critique, Flickr is good enough and the $25 price for Flickr Pro cannot be beat.

If I were hosting images for a business, however, I would look at Photo Shelter, Smugmug, Zenfolio or others.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links

1,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
To Flicker or not to Flicker...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.