Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Keeping up with the Jonses vs BEING the Jonses

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 12, 2013 19:40 |  #31

your first 3 items in the budget kit are NOT 90% the performance. they're literally half the performance of the ones you bought ... IF you need the upgrades

5D3 vs 5D2 = autofocus lightyears ahead. auto settings that are a great big help (min. shutter and min. ISO)
the 2 lenses are double the aperture. nuff said.

the last 2 however are debatable and there will never be a concensus.

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 12, 2013 21:16 |  #32

ryan00013 wrote in post #15479803 (external link)
Haha, yes, you are right there. Thanks goodness I like to take pictures of people instead of animals. People are much easier to catch. You can just walk right up to them!

Speaking of big lenses, did everyone see that other post called "You don't even have to be a Canon fan to appreciate this"? (or something to that extent). Someone used a Canon 800mm lens with 2x teleconverters and filmed a video from over a mile away. The outcome was AMAZING.

A few of my friends have the 800mm and use it on an everyday basis, often with a 1.4 TC. I have to "fake it" by putting the 2x TC on my 400 f2.8 . . . that's me trying to keep up with the Jonses, but not really being able to.

You're quite right - people are far, far easier - and less expensive (gear wise) - to shoot than animals!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2013 21:33 |  #33

mike cabilangan wrote in post #15480483 (external link)
your first 3 items in the budget kit are NOT 90% the performance. they're literally half the performance of the ones you bought ... IF you need the upgrades

I think that's his point. Most of the time the upgrades aren't needed and the end shots are the same.

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 12, 2013 21:40 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #34

Happened to me last year and again this year. I bought a bunch of gear in November-December during all the holiday sales, then in January I started selling. I'm still searching for the right camera and lenses for every occasion. A couple things are becoming clear to me though: 1) I'll probably never become a paid photographer, and 2) Having a 5D and L glass is overkill and impractical for what I do. I love the look of FF but at this point most of what I do can be done with a Micro 4/3s or NEX body.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2013 22:00 |  #35

Buy once, cry once? Though, the crying may persist for quite awhile longer.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2013 22:49 |  #36

riotshield wrote in post #15480972 (external link)
I bought a bunch of gear in November-December during all the holiday sales, then in January I started selling.

I just bought a 70-200 f/2.8 II during this rebate period knowing that I will sell it later. I couldn't pass up the $500 discount. New price was $1999 and used models go for $1800+ all day long. That means I can keep it for 6 months or a year and sell it when I'm done. The loss on the lens will be about the same as one week's rental price. Can't go wrong with that!

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2013 22:51 |  #37

I used to be ths way too.
First it was medium and large format gear, then,
Golf, then,
Computers and overclocking, then,
Rock climbing gear, then,
Downhill mountain bikes, then,
Motorcycles (3 in one year and mods), then
Golf again, then
Digital cameras and all the while skis of all kinds every year, bicycles, then...

Fast forward to now... A new baby and no more disposable income unless I earn it directly through photography. Would I like a 5D3? Yep, but now I just buy what I need not want. I was and still am a total gear head. I love to find the deal.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

ryan00013
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2013 23:17 |  #38

vrjosh wrote in post #15480944 (external link)
I think that's his point. Most of the time the upgrades aren't needed and the end shots are the same.

This is what I was getting at.

My usage is this:
24-70 2.8 vs 24-105 f/4: My general walk around zoom lens gets used mostly in daytime
70-200 2.8 II vs f/4: My telephoto zoom gets used for daytime rock climbing shots mainly (which need detail, not bokeh)
Canon 50L / 85L vs Sigma 50 / 85 - those comparisons are pretty well documented and those FL would be used when I am doing portraiture.

[Portraiture is the only professional work I do - the rest is for fun]
I.e., it's rare when I would really "need" the extra stop of light and better AF. Maybe like 5-10% of the time. Yes, I can get some occasional shots that I might not be able to capture otherwise, but for the majority of the time, the difference is pretty negligible BUT I appreciate you giving me more reasons to justify owning my gear lol.

Gear list & feedback
harveyryanphotography.​com (external link)

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 13, 2013 00:24 as a reply to  @ post 15480445 |  #39

pyrojim wrote in post #15480237 (external link)
If you have ever driven the two.... ESPECIALLY the new F01(with the updated transmissions) you would 'know better'

because the new 7 can seriously boogie (if you have an M3... i wouldnt throw down pinks at a stop light.

Lol until the CEL's start coming on like Xmas trees ;). (I'm a service advisor at a local BMW so I see these everyday)

The new F01 does haul though for such a big car! And the options like the magnetic door hinges and night vision are quite neat!

OP - I always feel that if you can afford and can buy the nice things and not suffer, why not.

I see my kit as being cheaper than my friend with his Leica Monochrom and 50mm 0.95 (he paid nearly 20k for that combo). It's all relative for people that can afford it and don't mind, compared to people that can afford it but can't justify it (then there's those that can't afford it at all).

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 13, 2013 03:36 |  #40

ryan00013 wrote in post #15480328 (external link)
Haha. Quite the opposite really. My income for the year will be around $20k. "

You spent HALF your income on camera gear!:shock:

No wonder you have buyer's remorse. You SHOULD!

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,109 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 13, 2013 10:12 |  #41

Fester wrote in post #15479809 (external link)
Ryan do you drive a 7 series Bmw when the 5 series would be enough
Or a two tone Rolex submariner when the Stainless keeps the same time?

Actually a top end Seiko will keep as good time but, won't collect the Ohs! and Ahs! from people who view it.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ryan00013
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 13, 2013 12:03 |  #42

tkbslc wrote in post #15481693 (external link)
You spent HALF your income on camera gear!:shock:

No wonder you have buyer's remorse. You SHOULD!

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had sold a ton of gear during the upgrade. Actual dollar amount spent came out to less than $4,000. And I certainly don't have buyers remorse. I am quite happy. I just realize how extremely silly it is. I'm a gear junky at heart. I have spent thousands of hours researching gear, comparing one lens to the next, reading reviews, thoughts, opinions, buying and selling, comparing lenses etc. It's kind of a hobby in itself. A strange one perhaps, but I find it very fun none the less. :)

Gear list & feedback
harveyryanphotography.​com (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 13, 2013 12:09 |  #43

As with any hobby or project, first you define the maximum cost that you're willing to sink into it, then you define what tools you need to get the results you want, and then you try to find the best set of tools that match the cost and specs. Which means that with photography as a hobby, I may be able to buy the top of the line FF body and a handful of white lenses without taking on a second mortgage, but I can't justify it.

I really don't care about the Joneses ;) Perhaps they should wait until the roof of that mansion they couldn't afford in the first place starts to appear from under the water.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 13, 2013 12:20 |  #44

ryan00013 wrote in post #15479568 (external link)
Canon 5D mk III ($2750)
Tamron 24-70 VC ($1100)
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II ($1800)
Canon 50L ($1150)
Canon 85L ($1600)
[...]
Canon 5D mk II ($1200)
Canon 24-105 ($700)
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS ($800)
Sigma 50 1.4 ($350)
Sigma 85 1.4 ($700)

Well, it isn't quite that simple. Try to do to an airshow or bird party with the 5d2's autofocus.

You only have one 200mm lens (and with full-frame) and you want to toss an f-stop? Since you only have full-frame I bet one of your next purchases is the 1.4x extender and then the f/4 lens gets to be a problem.

The mid zoom at f/2.8 while at the same time having high-end primes around the same length is more questionable.

85L and 50L in general are certainly the "10% more of something for x times the money" but then the 85L in particular is very tricky to judge.

I think that the 50L is the most questionable purchase but at least it works. Both the Sigma and the Canon f/1.4s are coin tosses and the Canon has certain aspects that can make pictures ugly.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2013 12:20 |  #45

Nope, not me. I'm still on a budget setup as far as people around here are concerned.

I can't see myself ever owning an L lens, and if I ever do upgrade my current gear in some way, which will not be for a while, it will be with a 5D Mark II (and by then, they'll be a lot cheaper). The main reasons for this move would be focal length (crop factor really bothers me), sensor size of course, and viewfinder coverage (98% vs the 96% of my 60D). I'd get a 5D Classic right now if I could afford to lose the video feature...but I really can't.

I've recently been using the EOS-1 I acquired on Ebay, and having full frame with a 100% viewfinder is beautiful. I know people will say that the camera body isn't as important as the glass in front of it...but the truth is I don't think better lenses would help me get significantly better pictures. Not that a 100% viewfinder would either, but that's something I would enjoy having, more so than an absurdly expensive lens that would be bulky to carry around and only improve my pictures marginally.

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Keeping up with the Jonses vs BEING the Jonses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.