Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How is the <$2000 D600 so much better than 5DmIII ???

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 14, 2013 00:34 |  #121

because the D600 lacks the Mk III's advanced "don't let oil drip onto the sensor" technology. ;)

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 14, 2013 04:15 |  #122

jdizzle wrote in post #15482786 (external link)
I'm going to have to burst your bubble. ;) If you read into the DR numbers of the D800/D600, it falls in line with DXO. I'm a landscape guy and DR is important to me. My 1Ds III is still the DR king compared to the 1D X and 5D III. :)

What bubble? I agree that the current Sony sensors are much better in terms of DR. Why does everyone assume I don't like DXO cause of that? :/
My point, which you seem to fail to get, so I'm writing this for the third time: I want sample photos to judge myself, DxO doesn't give me that, thus it's of no use to me. Simple as that.

My gallery (external link)

clarnibass
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 14, 2013 04:44 |  #123

Clark wrote in post #15478927 (external link)
How about you just go and shoot? I have never looked at a photo and said, "I bet that was taken with a Canon"

I sometimes see a photo and think it should have been shot with a Cannon :)

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 14, 2013 06:20 |  #124

KhaledA wrote in post #15485888 (external link)
What bubble? I agree that the current Sony sensors are much better in terms of DR. Why does everyone assume I don't like DXO cause of that? :/
My point, which you seem to fail to get, so I'm writing this for the third time: I want sample photos to judge myself, DxO doesn't give me that, thus it's of no use to me. Simple as that.

I posted samples. It is obvious the Sony sensors have better DR. ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=15483160&pos​tcount=101

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 14, 2013 06:52 |  #125

Hogloff wrote in post #15478400 (external link)
...but they are very scientific with their testing process.

Much more than taking a picture of their cat and claiming it is sharp.

bw!

This made be blow coffee out my noise :lol::lol::lol:

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 14, 2013 07:41 |  #126

RMH wrote in post #15486110 (external link)
bw!

This made be blow coffee out my noise :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds painful. Here, we dont call it a noise though....

Shane
flickr (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 14, 2013 09:17 |  #127

Hmm, like most have posted here, DXO-mark scores should not be the sole reason to determine how a particular DSLR performs. Not even close. There are numerous other factors to consider as well, such as ergonomics and autofocus system and so on.

However, I do believe DXO-scores does give us a good indication of how the body's sensor perform. I had one chance to try the D800 compared to my 5D II, and I have to admit I was blown away by the Nikon's ability to recover shadows so smoothly. Granted it was just a one days test, but it was enough to see the difference. While in the same time I really hate the 5D2 low Iso Banding, and to my understanding 5D3 still shares this problem. I guess landscaping is more of my thing than portraiture..

Anyway, by saying this I hope I won't get crucified, but to me it is no secret that Canon has fallen quite a bit behind when it comes to sensor technology and particularly in dynamic range. There can never be enough DR, if you ask me. It will be interesting to see how far sensors have evolved say 10 years from now...

I was hoping the EOS 6D would improve things in DR for Canon, but not yet it seems. So it will probably be the EOS 3D that will be Canon's ultimate answer for Nikon. Unfortunately, according to http://www.canonrumors​.com …ory/photography​/canon-3d/ (external link), we are still a long way from 3D's release. And I bet that thing is going to cost a fortune..

So if money was no issue (unfortunately it always is), I would probably use a D800 for landscaping and 5D3 for portraits, e.g. weddings where it truly excels :). Still I'd like to say all modern Nikon and Canon bodies are great, the differences of the bodies are from average user's perspective marginal, ultimately it's the user and glass that makes the difference...

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2013 09:43 |  #128

Tmuussoni wrote in post #15486537 (external link)
I really hate the 5D2 low Iso Banding, and to my understanding 5D3 still shares this problem. I guess landscaping is more of my thing than portraiture..

I hated it too and I must admit in the 4k+ frames I have shot with the 5D3 I must say Im impressed and although its not completely gone, it has been significantly reduced. Reduced to the point where its a non issue unless I'm trying to raise the exposure 2+ stops.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2013 09:46 as a reply to  @ gh patriot's post |  #129

5D3 ISO 6400 85mm f/2 Crap bar lighting. I even pushed the shadows to +20 in LR and added 1/3 stop exposure.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 14, 2013 10:18 |  #130

jdizzle wrote in post #15486050 (external link)
I posted samples. It is obvious the Sony sensors have better DR. ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=15483160&pos​tcount=101

Yes, you posted samples, not DxO. The Sony sensors are amazing in terms of DR, no one is disputing that. But for me, it's not enough to change systems, or worth the financial hit.

My gallery (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 14, 2013 10:23 |  #131

gh patriot wrote in post #15486648 (external link)
I hated it too and I must admit in the 4k+ frames I have shot with the 5D3 I must say Im impressed and although its not completely gone, it has been significantly reduced. Reduced to the point where its a non issue unless I'm trying to raise the exposure 2+ stops.

ok, thanks for the tip. For some reason I thought 5D3 has the same banding issue as 5D2, but if it's atleast reduced, that is very good news indeed. Bad news is I am wanting the 5D3 even more now :oops:

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 14, 2013 10:24 |  #132

KhaledA wrote in post #15486780 (external link)
Yes, you posted samples, not DxO. The Sony sensors are amazing in terms of DR, no one is disputing that. But for me, it's not enough to change systems, or worth the financial hit.

I'm a landscape shooter and not many understand our needs for DR. I love the 5D3 but, there isn't much head room even if I had to manually exposure blend. ;)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,276 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2013 10:30 |  #133

I am in the process of switching from Canon to Leica M. I picked up a Leica MM and I am sold. It out performs the 5DIII in low light and the glass is like no other period. I am anxiously waiting to see the new M in the spring. Its going to take a few years but I am I will eventually have a couple of Ms or maybe an M-E which I actually prefer if the new CMOS works out and finds its way to the M-E.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 14, 2013 10:37 |  #134

gh patriot wrote in post #15486662 (external link)
5D3 ISO 6400 85mm f/2 Crap bar lighting. I even pushed the shadows to +20 in LR and added 1/3 stop exposure.

The 5D3 does well in low light. I have no issue with that. As of now, Canon seems to cater to the high ISO and video crowd. :)

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2013 10:47 |  #135

jdizzle wrote in post #15486880 (external link)
The 5D3 does well in low light. I have no issue with that. As of now, Canon seems to cater to the high ISO and video crowd. :)

Ok... I'm happy for you that you dont have an issue with the 5D3 in low light. I posted the photo for tmuussoni and his concerns with banding which was bad at low ISO and terrible at high ISO - which is why I quoted him. I will however add that at 1600 and up (where I shoot alot) the dynamic range is roughly the same as the D600.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

19,254 views & 0 likes for this thread
How is the <$2000 D600 so much better than 5DmIII ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.