Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

any reason to get the 6D over the D600?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 13, 2013 08:52 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban

M_Six wrote in post #15481176 (external link)
'Nuff said. Better glass on the Canon side. :cool:

That's a little funny coming from a guy that has a mitt full of 3rd party glass in his signature.

Everyone gets on this Canon has better glass kick, yet the ones that spout this off usually have a bunch of consumer level glass where Nikon beats Canon at hands down.

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 13, 2013 14:37 |  #77

clacson wrote in post #15482028 (external link)
Canon earned top marks in more tests, like color accuracy, noise reduction, a slight edge in dynamic range, and white balance. Yet many of these factors irrelevant to those who plan on shooting RAW and processing afterward.

If the 6D wins in their dynamic range test, then they're either measuring dynamic range wrong, or they don't actually know what dynamic range is.

Unless, that is, they're measuring high ISO dynamic range, in which case yeah, the Canon probably wins (but not by much).

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2013 21:31 |  #78

The only reason for 6D over D600 is: You have already invested in Canon glasses.
D600 is a better camera by a large margin. D600 + 24-85mm + memory card... only $2000!

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 13, 2013 22:26 |  #79

alright guys, think i will stick to Canon.

thanks for the input!

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 14, 2013 06:54 as a reply to  @ the.forumer's post |  #80

This is only one country case, but here in Finland:
- Canon 6D (body only) 1900 euros
- Nikon D600 (body only) 1800 euros.
Both prices include local VAT 24%. The price is not a reason to choose D600.

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2013 07:30 |  #81

Bakewell wrote in post #15473406 (external link)
It seems a lot of Canon 5DMKIII owners are very upset about the 6D. A camera capable of taking pics equal to a piece of equipment they spent $1000 more for only six months ago. Totally understandable since the 6D is smaller, lighter and has several features the 5DMKIII doesn't have. However, the 5Ds' auto focus system is great! As long as one has good light it's capable of getting some great sports pics. If one is into taking sports pics.

You've got to be kidding? Has several features over the 5D III? And yet all the 5D III has is a better focusing system? I don't think many 5D III owners are distraught because the 6D is lighter, smaller, and has a faster start up time.

5DIII vs 6D
Larger LCD
More cross type focus points
100% view finder
Better resolution
Dual card slots
Faster max Shutter speed
Less shutter lag
More focus points
Less shutter lag
Better weather sealing
Better build quality
3 custom settings
No joystick

Just to name a few.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2013 08:39 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

Buylongterm wrote in post #15486176 (external link)
You've got to be kidding? Has several features over the 5D III? And yet all the 5D III has is a better focusing system? I don't think many 5D III owners are distraught because the 6D is lighter, smaller, and has a faster start up time.

5DIII vs 6D
Larger LCD
More cross type focus points
100% view finder
Better resolution
Dual card slots
Faster max Shutter speed
Less shutter lag
More focus points
Less shutter lag
Better weather sealing
3 custom settings
No joystick

Just to name a few.

All important I must admit and one must determine if those things are worth an extra $1000 dollars but please don't forget the most important one of all!

Inferior Photos to the 6D

Dave

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2013 09:04 |  #83

Bakewell wrote in post #15486416 (external link)
All important I must admit and one must determine if those things are worth an extra $1000 dollars but please don't forget the most important one of all!

Inferior Photos to the 6D

Absolutely. I'm not knocking the 6D. It's all personal preference and it's up to the individual whether or not they need all the options the 5D III offers over the 6D.

What I am saying is his post comes across as if besides the "auto focusing system", the 6D has more options over the 5D III. And his statement about many 5D III owners upset over that Canon released the 6D is ridiculous. I'd be hard pressed to find many 5D III owners rushing to sell their cameras to buy the 6D. Now I'm sure you can find posts where some might be doing this, but using the word "many" is inaccurate.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 15:45 |  #84
bannedPermanent ban

Buylongterm wrote in post #15486491 (external link)
Absolutely. I'm not knocking the 6D. It's all personal preference and it's up to the individual whether or not they need all the options the 5D III offers over the 6D.

What I am saying is his post comes across as if besides the "auto focusing system", the 6D has more options over the 5D III. And his statement about many 5D III owners upset over that Canon released the 6D is ridiculous. I'd be hard pressed to find many 5D III owners rushing to sell their cameras to buy the 6D. Now I'm sure you can find posts where some might be doing this, but using the word "many" is inaccurate.

I don't think ANYONE who owns a 5d mkiii would be upset with the 6d. The mkiii is a superb photo instrument.

I just ordered a 6d from B&H and think the ability to use an iPad or iPhone to view the scene and remotely trigger the shutter all via WiFi is intriguing. But if I could spare the extra 1k the mkiii would be my choice.

-ERJL

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 15:48 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

pasm365 wrote in post #15484910 (external link)
The only reason for 6D over D600 is: You have already invested in Canon glasses.
D600 is a better camera by a large margin. D600 + 24-85mm + memory card... only $2000!

You are correct that it has a lot to do with what compatible lenses a photographer owns. But, I don't think that 2K price is valid anymore and the 24-85 lens is not that great. I used one for a week and was very disappointed.

-ERJL

asaulo1
253 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 14, 2013 17:06 |  #86

the one feature that has surprised me on the 6D was the wifi. At first, you'd think it's just a novelty feature but after using it a few times, it just makes it more fun. Being able to download the image straight to your iPhone and then imessaging it (or post to FB or whatever) makes it just so liberating.... and of course, the IQ is quite top notch....

GEAR HOG in the making.... Canon 6D & 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 24-105, 40 2.8, EF-S 55-250

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 14, 2013 18:47 |  #87
bannedPermanent ban

ERJL wrote in post #15488238 (external link)
I don't think ANYONE who owns a 5d mkiii would be upset with the 6d. The mkiii is a superb photo instrument.

I just ordered a 6d from B&H and think the ability to use an iPad or iPhone to view the scene and remotely trigger the shutter all via WiFi is intriguing. But if I could spare the extra 1k the mkiii would be my choice.

Unless shooting in a studio, I don't see the iPad as being very useful. As far as using a phone, I think the screen on the camera has better resolution and colours than a phone...so again I don't see the point.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 14, 2013 18:49 |  #88
bannedPermanent ban

asaulo1 wrote in post #15488630 (external link)
the one feature that has surprised me on the 6D was the wifi. At first, you'd think it's just a novelty feature but after using it a few times, it just makes it more fun. Being able to download the image straight to your iPhone and then imessaging it (or post to FB or whatever) makes it just so liberating.... and of course, the IQ is quite top notch....

Before I post anything anywhere, I post process. This need to immediately post to Facebook escapes me.

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 18:54 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

asaulo1 wrote in post #15488630 (external link)

I am anxious to see how it works for candid street photography. Looking at you iPhone or iPad with the camera sitting on a table could be quite interesting.

-ERJL

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 18:59 |  #90
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15489028 (external link)
Unless shooting in a studio, I don't see the iPad as being very useful. As far as using a phone, I think the screen on the camera has better resolution and colours than a phone...so again I don't see the point.

Will let you know when I get a chance to play with mine. I can think of several scenarios where it would allow me to make better pictures. Was thinking of setting the camera straight up with a ultra wide angle lens inside a building (church or govt building with nice architecture), pre focusing and using the remote viewing feature to see how things look. I am old and can no longer get down low for the shots I would like to take.

My sister would like to use it for bird photography although I suspect you can't just leave the camera in that mode forever pointing at the bird feeder.

Also, it might be good for candid photography.

-ERJL

sponsored links

39,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
any reason to get the 6D over the D600?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.