Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2013 (Monday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No sports mode on 5D MkII

Pobinr
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 14, 2013 14:47 |  #1

Hi
I bought a Canon 5D MKII a couple of weeks ago.
It seems there is no sports mode.
So one would think the next best thing would be to be able to customise a preset for sports.
Having just tried to preset a sports mode for fast action & memorise into one of the Custom 'C' modes, I'm disappointed to find one can't set for example programme C1,C2 or C3 as a sports mode with max aperture & max ISO to ensure the fastest shutter speed possible.
Plus switch off the unpredictable unreliable all too random multi spot AF mode as part of the preset.
Or am I wrong. Is it possible ?
It would seem that for a sports mode one has to select P. Then press ISO button & roll the index finger wheel until 6400 selected. Then press ISO button again then roll index wheel to open the aperture to max. All a bit of a faff really !
Don't get me wrong I'm not against manual controls to fine tailor all the parameters. But sometimes it's nice to be able to do things at the flick of one switch. Not five switches.
I can imagine pro cameramen missing decent shots as they mess around to adjust their camera.
Something which should be possible with a single action of a switch as is the case on my son's Nikon D3000. He simply selects sport mode plus he has 5 other preset scenes he can select.
Please can anyone let me know if I'm wrong & that it is possible to programme a sports mode or any other mode for that matter as a preset.
Thanks

sponsored links
va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 14, 2013 14:52 |  #2

"Sport" mode is just a way of the camera prioritizing shutter speed above all else.

"Sport" mode and other modes like it are only found on the entry level DSLR's, not on the prosumer and professional models.... It's made for beginners.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Pobinr
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 14, 2013 15:00 |  #3

va_rider wrote in post #15487959 (external link)
"Sport" mode is just a way of the camera prioritizing shutter speed above all else.

"Sport" mode and other modes like it are only found on the entry level DSLR's, not on the prosumer and professional models.... It's made for beginners.

Thanks for your reply. Is there not a degree of snobbery with this. Not you personally of course :-)
Isn't it best to have both. In other total manual control over every variable when you want it, which of course there is with the 5D, but also to have the option to memorise favourites ?
What's clever about having to go through the rig morol of setting up for fast action shots via 4 or 5 steps every time rather than the flick of a switch?
It's nothing to do with beginners.
People don't refer to F1 GP drivers as beginners because they have semi auto gearboxes !
I mean are true pros supposed to use a hand held light meter then set the factors manually & never use any auto whatsoever!
In fact I'd be inclined to think pro photographers would prefer the option to use more automation via presets as & when needed.
I'm afraid I think Canon are wrong not to provide presets like the 6 different scene modes on my son's Nikon D3000 or alternatively to provide an option to memorise favourites or indeed both!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2013 15:03 |  #4

Pobinr wrote in post #15487990 (external link)
Is there not a degree of snobbery with this. Isn't it best to have both. In other total manual control over every variable when you want it, which of course there is with the 5D, but also to have the option to memorise favourites ?
What's clever about having to go through the rig morol of setting up for fast action shots via 5 steps every time rather than the flick of a switch?
In fact I'd be inclined to think pros would prefer the choice of more automation as & when needed.

No, its pretty much factual. It assumes that if you spent enough to money to get a 5DII you probably are advanced enough to know that sports modes are just overlays for simple adjustments that you can do without. If you are inclined to think that, well to be blunt, you would be wrong. But if you want a sports mode, use the custom setting to create your own. Its not that hard to do.

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 14, 2013 15:04 |  #5

there's no snobbery to it....

In all honesty, "Sports" mode and "Portrait" mode and the like are made for people who don't understand the basics of photography. If you understand the relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, you don't need those modes.

That's not saying that you have to use nothing but manual mode... when I was shooting football, I'd toss it in Tv (Time Value) mode, set the shutter to 1/500th, and let the camera worry about ISO and aperture...

You don't have to take over total control... but you have to pick at least one variable... the camera can handle the other two for you if you're not comfortable doing it.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 14, 2013 15:17 |  #6

Build a custom preset with AF-servo, Shutter priority and set aperture wide open. Voila, sports mode. Just adjust ISO to suit the light and you're done.

(or simply set mode the options manually in S mode, not that much to it.)

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

Pobinr
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 14, 2013 15:24 |  #7

va_rider wrote in post #15488014 (external link)
there's no snobbery to it....

In all honesty, "Sports" mode and "Portrait" mode and the like are made for people who don't understand the basics of photography. If you understand the relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, you don't need those modes.

That's not saying that you have to use nothing but manual mode... when I was shooting football, I'd toss it in Tv (Time Value) mode, set the shutter to 1/500th, and let the camera worry about ISO and aperture...

You don't have to take over total control... but you have to pick at least one variable... the camera can handle the other two for you if you're not comfortable doing it.

Odd the way you keep linking it to understanding!
This is not about understanding. It's about ergonomics.
I fully understand how the parameters vary with one another. It's not difficult to grasp.
The analogy to what you're assuming is it must be the case that F1 drivers don't understand how to change gear with a manual stick because they drive semi auto GP cars!
All I'm saying is for convenience sometimes it's nice to quickly call up a mode rather than go through the faff of setting it up each time by changing 4 contols.
I think you'll find when you set Av mode then rolled the aperture to max that the ISO speed wouldn't necessarily be set to max which it needs to be to really freeze fast action a 500th isn't fast enough.
Plus the multi point AF is a pain. It's too random a lot of the time. Especially with the max aperture for speed so shallow depth of focus.
From what you say it may be possible to do with with one of the customise 'C' modes.
But all I could find in the manual about that was using them to preset things like shoot without card, beep, review time, peripheral illumination correction, Exposure compensation, auto power off etc.

All I want to be able to do is set up a preset with the following;
max aperture size,
max ISO
centre point AF
speed to adjust automatically to what will be fast speed with the the two settings as above
Is this possible ?
Av mode is an easy way to get halfway there but doesn't set ISO to max or AF to centre point.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2013 15:27 |  #8

Pobinr wrote in post #15488125 (external link)
This is not about understanding. It's about ergonomics.
I fully understand how the parameters vary with one another. It's not difficult to grasp. The analogy to what you're saying is GP drivers don't know how to change gear with a manual stick because they drive semi auto GP cars!
All I'm saying is for convenience sometimes it's nice to quickly call up a mode rather than go through the faff of setting it up each time by changing 4 contols.
From what you say it may be possible to do with with one of the customise 'C' modes.
But all could find in the manual about that was using them to preset obscure things like shoot without card, beep, review time, peripheral illumination correction, Exposure compensation etc.
max aperture size,
max ISO
centre point AF
Is this possible ?
Thanks

It seems you are confusing custom functions, and custom settings. Two different things. Custom functions do what you said. Custom settings allow you to create presets so that when you turn the main dial to c1 is preset for a proscribed use.

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,964 posts
Gallery: 430 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 14, 2013 15:32 |  #9

Set your settings in any of the AV/TV/P set up whatever custom Functions you think you'll need to make life easier for yourself. Open Menu, select Register, C1, C2 or C3 and save the settings.

If you don't know about the intricacies and very useful attributes of Custom Functions you must watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=kVVskkbSQzg (external link)

I also recommend that you watch these three videos so you fully understand how the Auto Focus works on this and other Canon cameras:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=3_F7lCvp5DI (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=1WTWiN9kLts (external link)

The unpredictable unreliable all too random multi spot AF mode is not as unpredictable, unreliable and random when you have some idea of how it does what it does, why it does what it does and its limitations.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,846 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2013 15:57 |  #10

M mode, set shutter to 1/500, put your fastest lens on and open wide, auto ISO. Follow steps above to save as a custom function.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 14, 2013 16:04 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #11

I can set my custom setting however i want, why can't you? My custom settings remembers my auto ISO, aperture and shutter speed. of course, if you set an aperture and then you put a faster lens on, you need to open it up and save it again. The custom saves slots remember everything, so what are you having a problem with?

I have my C3 set for action. I put my tele lens on I would use for action, set it for TV mode, set shutter for 1/400 to start with, set aperture wide open, set auto ISO, set my meter mode and Ai servo, and then save to C3 custom slot, what's the problem?

If i save it set in manual mode then I can choose what shutter speed and it will leave my aperture wide open and the camera will only set the IsO to compensate for my shutter speed, perfect.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 14, 2013 16:21 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #12

Pobinr wrote in post #15488125 (external link)
From what you say it may be possible to do with with one of the customise 'C' modes. But all I could find in the manual about that was using them to preset things like shoot without card, beep, review time, peripheral illumination correction, Exposure compensation, auto power off etc.

max aperture size,
max ISO
centre point AF
speed to adjust automatically to what will be fast speed with the the two settings as above
Is this possible ?
Av mode is an easy way to get halfway there but doesn't set ISO to max or AF to centre point.

gonzogolf wrote in post #15488139 (external link)
It seems you are confusing custom functions, and custom settings. Two different things. Custom functions do what you said. Custom settings allow you to create presets so that when you turn the main dial to c1 is preset for a proscribed use.

Custom presets allow you to prescribe exactly what the OP says as highlighted, plus custom functions.

Just register Av, your own preferred maximum ISO, centre AF point and maximum aperture (and anything else you want) in C1, 2 or 3 and shutter speed will float at the fastest speed light allows. You can still override the aperture and ISO if you need to, but each time you return to that C mode, your initial settings will be there.

Pobinr
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 14, 2013 16:24 |  #13

Snowyman wrote in post #15488165 (external link)
Set your settings in any of the AV/TV/P set up whatever custom Functions you think you'll need to make life easier for yourself. Open Menu, select Register, C1, C2 or C3 and save the settings.

If you don't know about the intricacies and very useful attributes of Custom Functions you must watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=kVVskkbSQzg (external link)

I also recommend that you watch these three videos so you fully understand how the Auto Focus works on this and other Canon cameras:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=3_F7lCvp5DI (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=1WTWiN9kLts (external link)

The unpredictable unreliable all too random multi spot AF mode is not as unpredictable, unreliable and random when you have some idea of how it does what it does, why it does what it does and its limitations.

Brilliant thanks Snowyman.
C3 now programmed for;
Max aperture size
Max ISO
centre point AF
Shutter speed to adjust automatically to what will be as fast as possible with the aperture & ISO settings above
I'm well pleased. Will watch those vids now

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2013 16:31 |  #14

guitarjeff wrote in post #15488330 (external link)
If i save it set in manual mode then I can choose what shutter speed and it will leave my aperture wide open and the camera will only set the IsO to compensate for my shutter speed, perfect.

First line of the first post:

@Pobinr
I bought a Canon 5D MKII a couple of weeks ago.

The 5D2 does not have Auto ISO in Manual.

Elie / אלי

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 14, 2013 16:39 |  #15

tzalman wrote in post #15488466 (external link)
First line of the first post:

The 5D2 does not have Auto ISO in Manual.

Yeah, was thinking of TV mode, which will do everything perfectly in the custom banks for sports.

sponsored links

13,261 views & 0 likes for this thread
No sports mode on 5D MkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.