Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2013 (Monday) 19:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you print?

PowerShotMike
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 19:34 |  #1

I am just curious as to the frequency of those who own Power shot camera's actually do print images as opposed to just Web upload and sharing? I have met quite a few people in my area that have fairly expensive gear but hardly ever print images.

I personally see some differences in terms of what each can do in its own class. Dslr, compact and such. But overall what some produce image wise in many respects is not that broad.

Just a thought.

http://mikeneufeld604p​hotography.blogspot.ca​/ (external link)

sponsored links
saturnine_zero
88 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 14, 2013 19:49 |  #2

When I first got my G12 I printed what I shot, when there were specials on, 14 inch prints for $3. I wanted to see how much trouble printing brightness and colours was going to be. Quite troublesome as it turns out but that's another story.

The image quality even at 14 inches is pretty good from a Powershot if you do not crop. Now that I have a 60D the G12 is only a back up but printing is still my main aim for photography. That is getting shots that are good enough to print.

A printed photo is still the best way to enjoy an image, screens are just for convenience.

6D | 40 2.8 | 50 1.2L | 70-300 4-5.6L
G12 | Elan 7 | QL17 GIII | Vivitar v3800n
www.saturninezero.com (external link)

del ­ Sol
104 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 14, 2013 20:33 |  #3

I've had eight 30 X 40 inch prints made from my A720IS, and was very satisfied!
I'm in Canada, and the prints were made by Black's Photography.

Cheers, del Sol

GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 14, 2013 20:38 |  #4

I print my own shots from a G1X (previously G3, G9, G12) and also 7D on an Epson 3800. In my opinion, the G1X is easily good for 12x18 inch prints even with slight cropping. The G12 was acceptable at 12x18. On the other hand, I prefer the 7D if I know that a 12x18 print is the end product.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

Rich ­ Road
184 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 14, 2013 20:56 as a reply to  @ GordonSBuck's post |  #5

I've always made prints of select family photos, up to 8 by 10 when I had an A1100. Paging through photo albums is better than watching a slide-show from those digi-album thingies they sell these days.

PowerShotMike
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 14, 2013 22:46 |  #6

Thanks so far for your input. I hope to get a whole lot of PPL to comment on this topic. Its always interested me to know how many camera owners honestly actually print.

@del Sol-how do you find the quality of Print from Black's?

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 14, 2013 23:58 |  #7

Not sure if I count, since I don't shoot Powershots. I do have an Elph 100HS that I bought to hack and never did, though.

I very rarely print; it's just too much money and hassle. I used to all the time, but ive basically stopped now... I print for a contest occasionally (won it this year, amazingly), and to sell a couple here and there, but not too much else.
I shoot the 5D II, 60D, and T2i as far as bodies go; 17-40L, 100L, and 100-400L for lenses.

Printing, it seems, is just no longer a necessity. If I want to show pictures, I have my iPad. If I am out somewhere and need a quick one to show people, I have my iPhone.
I'm sure I will print a lot more if/when I get into more studio stuff, though.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

pwdieter
528 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 15, 2013 00:49 |  #8

I print fairly regularly for family members mostly. However I also print for fine art prints with a unique PP that allows me to print from my G to almost any size. I've been using the the giclee factory with pretty good results for the price.

Have fun
Paul

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.​com/ (external link)

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2013 12:56 |  #9

I usually only print about 10% of my keepers from A4 to A3 excluding holiday shots which I usually print out about 70% from A5 to A4.
I,ve tried print processing companies but there print profiles don,t quite match up to what I want. For the future I,m most likely try a batch of canvas prints.
Over the last few years club competitions have seen a large increase of digital entries and a reduction in mounted prints which is sad really as there is nothing better than holding up a print and seeing the effort a photographer has put in.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2013 18:26 as a reply to  @ Judder Man's post |  #10

If you do decide to print, in the "Sharing Knowhow" section, in the "RAW, Post Processing and Printing" forum, there is a thread about many who are very pleased with having their prints done at Costco, take look HERE if you like.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,488 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2013 19:54 |  #11

I don't print anything. I don't know what I'd do with prints.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

PowerShotMike
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2013 20:08 |  #12

Thanks for the Link. Great feedback. I will check out some of the other threads as well.

del ­ Sol
104 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2013 19:45 |  #13

PowerShotMike wrote in post #15489946 (external link)
Thanks so far for your input. I hope to get a whole lot of PPL to comment on this topic. Its always interested me to know how many camera owners honestly actually print.

@del Sol-how do you find the quality of Print from Black's?

I've used Black's for prints larger than 81/2 X 11 many times. I've almost always been very satisfied. On those one or two occasions when I wasn't happy with the results, Black's cheerfully reprinted, at no charge to me.
I particularly like their extra cost "metallic finish".

My printing/enlarging dilemma is that I have simply run out of wall space to hang any more stuff.

Cheers, del Sol

pwdieter
528 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 20, 2013 21:18 |  #14

I've got a Costco about 8 min away so I use them a lot for basic digital prints and the quality is good once you get the printer profiles down and the price is unreal. I can't even keep ink in my own printer for those prices, they do it as a loss leader to get folks in the store where their impulse buying makes up for the photo loss.

For my display prints I order out of gicleefactory.com also out of Canada. For prints on canvas or watercolor paper these prices can't be beat. It takes a while for an order when you get the proof approval but if I were in a hurry for some reason I could print locally for about twice the price.

The other printing I'm moving to is online book printing. I use blurb but there are others. I started this by publishing annual photo albums for my fishing club as our history was getting lost in the transition to digital. Now every year we have a photo album printed of club images and the tradition continues. I would think more folks who shoot a lot would publish albums/coffee table books for themselves to have around the house to share. It's very sad to see the hardcopy photo album disappear, it's such a nice thing to share with folks, and pass it on for future generations.

Have fun
Paul

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.​com/ (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2013 02:51 |  #15

I used to make quite a few prints when I had access to a printing lab. Now, not so much as the cost is much higher. The prints I made were from my 40D and up to 13x19 with good results.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links

2,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you print?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.