Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 00:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 does not save AFMA ?

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 15, 2013 00:31 |  #1

So I went out shooting a few days ago.. All is well when I got home and uploaded the pics onto my laptop, lots of my photos of my 85L were out of focus (back focusing). Before you say user error etc, I'm pretty good with this lens. So I went into the camera AFMA settings to dial the AF back and it was on 0. So I switched all my lens to check if they have saved and they also have all been reset back to 0. Anyone have any ideas why my AFMA setting was not saved ?

sponsored links
Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2013 02:34 |  #2

Have you not shot between adjusting and this shoot? Could you have accidentally done a hard reset?

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 15, 2013 03:07 |  #3

AF Microadjustment option has three selections that I know of.

0: Disable
1: Adjust all by the same amount
2: Adjust by lens

Are you on option 1 or 2?

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2013 03:12 |  #4

kawi_200 wrote in post #15490508 (external link)
AF Microadjustment option has three selections that I know of.

0: Disable
1: Adjust all by the same amount
2: Adjust by lens

Are you on option 1 or 2?

I think that no matter what option he had set there still should be a setting. Unless it was not locked in. It as been a while since I looked at the menu but I thought after setting it you had to confirm it outside of the adjustment menu.

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 15, 2013 04:41 |  #5

If your camera is set to option 1 then you are adjusting every lens by the same amount. So when you changed your 85L adjustment back to 0, then you actually changed ALL of your lenses back to zero. This is what I am thinking happend to the camera and the MFA settings and why they are all back at zero.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

cdang
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 15, 2013 05:45 |  #6

Definitely adjust by lens. All my lens have different adjustments. I remember someone with a 1dx had a similar problem.

Could leaving the battery out of the camera for a few days reset the settings back ?

dexy101
Goldmember
2,345 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 15, 2013 05:49 |  #7

kawi_200 wrote in post #15490604 (external link)
If your camera is set to option 1 then you are adjusting every lens by the same amount. So when you changed your 85L adjustment back to 0, then you actually changed ALL of your lenses back to zero. This is what I am thinking happend to the camera and the MFA settings and why they are all back at zero.

He didn't change it to 0, he went to look at his settings and it had changed back to 0 from whatever setting he had it at.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2013 05:54 |  #8

cdang wrote in post #15490686 (external link)
.....Could leaving the battery out of the camera for a few days reset the settings back ?

I'd think the "coin" battery would still maintain the onboard settings, just as it would any time the camera is turned off. Just got the 5D3 myself so only starting to explore the more advanced settings.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,465 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 15, 2013 09:19 |  #9

It could be that after a few days without the big battery the voltage dropped on the system battery. Were other settings lost? Date-time for instance.

Elie / אלי

cdang
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 15, 2013 10:18 |  #10

tzalman wrote in post #15491290 (external link)
It could be that after a few days without the big battery the voltage dropped on the system battery. Were other settings lost? Date-time for instance.

No other settings were changed. Weird because it has happened before about 5 months ago but I thought I didn't do it right through FoCaL and had to do it again.

toledo
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2013 21:51 as a reply to  @ cdang's post |  #11

Which firmware are you running? Seem to recall something like this months ago after initial release, but, I may be wrong. Upon further reflection, as stated above, this may have been a 1dx problem.
I had same problem right after I got camera a month after release, but, could never reproduce and it has not happened since ... Chalked it up to user error. Forgot all about it ;)

sponsored links

2,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 does not save AFMA ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.