Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 May 2007 (Thursday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 15, 2013 16:57 |  #6901

WolfmanPhoto wrote in post #15493095 (external link)
Joined the MarkIII club and I am excited :) . Ordered from Ebay for $1,100 and should be arriving within the next few days. I'll post a photo when my toy arrives :D

Anyone have any tips on getting the most out of this beast? I have a MarkII, so I am familiar with the build and function. I'm a photojournalist and look forward to the fast AF and 10fps.

Congrats! These are good:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com …o_AF_Custom_Fun​ctions.pdf (external link)

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …_Mark_III_White​_Paper.pdf (external link)

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 15, 2013 18:24 |  #6902

Russo09 wrote in post #15491612 (external link)
How does the image quality of this camera compare to the images of the 5Dc? I've been thinking about getting rid of it and trading but there's just that something I love about the 5Dc and what it can produce. The only things I can't stand about it are the screen and the AF, which would be like night and day if I switch to a 1D3. The only thing is, I usually don't shoot too much action, so I feel like I wouldn't be able to really utilize the capabilities of the 1D3, but it'd be nice to give it a shot and try.

-Nick

To my eye, they're really freaking close in the resolution test (external link).

I think the 5D2 has a very slight advantage (external link).

I was hoping that some of the folks who own(ed) both bodies would chime in. All I can say is that my 1D3 is significantly sharper than my T2i (external link) in actual photos out in the field, and the canvas prints I've had done with it have been amazing to look at for their detail.

While you may leave some of the speed capabilities of the 1D3 on the table in your own usage, the camera is an incredible value at what appears to be a common $1100 price tag. That's about the same as a used 7D + grip, and when the 7D came out, there was a $2500 difference in their price!

Then there's the 1D handling. My. Goodness.

You can also try it for a few months and probably sell it for very close to purchase price if you don't like it... maybe a $10/month "rental" :)

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

backblast
319 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 15, 2013 20:52 as a reply to  @ post 15493095 |  #6903

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

1Ds MkIII - 1D MkIII & several lenses with red rings.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2013 11:36 |  #6904

To me, 1D3 giving me better IQ than my 5D due to its new digic, but the file is very similar in size, 10 vs. 12, not a big difference, i prefer to go with FF though, i don't have issues because i always buy more bodies with advanced features, so 1Ds3 killed 1D3 in everything except the fps and high ISO[not much difference as 1D3 can go up to 6400 and 1Ds3 only 3200] and price.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Marlboro
34 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 17, 2013 07:38 |  #6905

It's NOT a Sony. It's a Canon EOS M :D

IMAGE: https://kkkpia.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pn4XqMCoLaaFx_Vu8ohSjfilPwGYu90RI1sHqWVwcCR96dzZ5FwXV-3UQP8aKGZABRHhGIARKQ3I/IMG_0622-2.jpg?psid=1

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 17, 2013 19:51 as a reply to  @ Marlboro's post |  #6906

Just bought one from a fellow POTN member. Can't wait to get it. Getting it to use for the sports shooting I do. I have been using a 50d and getting good results but I can't shoot baseball at night or basketball in most gyms. Just can't go high ISO enough to do it well without MAJOR work on the backend and still not getting what I'd like.

I'm excited to play!

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 18, 2013 06:29 as a reply to  @ GadgetRick's post |  #6907

I would like a reader of this thread (or anyone, actually) to comment on the following:

I live in Canada and just bought a 1DMkIII from the POTN listings. Although the serial number falls in the "danger" list, so to speak, the seller indicated, in his words, "the focusing has been absolutely spot on since the camera was serviced in 2011, when it had the mirror box, shutter plus what Canon called 'other internal components' replaced". He also stated that the "focus fix" was performed prior to his purchase (he bought it from who I presume was the original owner).

Please understand it's not that I don't trust the seller or doubt what he told me, but just in case there is a problem he had not discovered, I would ask that any Canadian, who also purchased a used 1DMkIII with an affected serial number inform me if they had any luck getting information and service from Canon (or CPS ... I belong) in Canada regarding the "focus fix" issue with their particular camera.

Thank you for any help or information you can supply ...

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

eriet30
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 18, 2013 07:55 |  #6908

Maxdave wrote in post #15503995 (external link)
I would like a reader of this thread (or anyone, actually) to comment on the following:

I live in Canada and just bought a 1DMkIII from the POTN listings. Although the serial number falls in the "danger" list, so to speak, the seller indicated, in his words, "the focusing has been absolutely spot on since the camera was serviced in 2011, when it had the mirror box, shutter plus what Canon called 'other internal components' replaced". He also stated that the "focus fix" was performed prior to his purchase (he bought it from who I presume was the original owner).

Please understand it's not that I don't trust the seller or doubt what he told me, but just in case there is a problem he had not discovered, I would ask that any Canadian, who also purchased a used 1DMkIII with an affected serial number inform me if they had any luck getting information and service from Canon (or CPS ... I belong) in Canada regarding the "focus fix" issue with their particular camera.

Maxdave

I think if you open the battery compartment and there is a white mark inside it means they replaced the part. I know some people had theirs serviced and never realized that was fixed.

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 18, 2013 09:45 |  #6909

Maxdave

Send canon customer services your serial number and they will confirm whether it needs the fix, or why not just use it and see. Remember it was not all the body's in the affected range after all

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 18, 2013 20:58 |  #6910

I have asked many original owners about their experience with the "faulty" cameras and they all confirmed that once Canon fixed the AF problem, the camera has been working perfectly fine. I just got one with the AF fixed. I am waiting for it in the mail.

Maxdave

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 23, 2013 21:21 |  #6911

I just got a note from an old friend on FB that she saw one of my photos in USA Swimming's Splash magazine. I haven't seen the issue yet, so not sure which one (probably #1). Not a major deal (small magazine), but still pretty fun:

IMAGE: http://waterrockets.smugmug.com/Sports/Swimming/USA-Swimming-Magazine/i-dSSRmHs/0/XL/IMG_9984-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://waterrockets.smugmug.com/Sports/Swimming/USA-Swimming-Magazine/i-zbk6cCH/0/XL/IMG_9859-XL.jpg

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2013 06:23 |  #6912

waterrockets wrote in post #15526448 (external link)
I just got a note from an old friend on FB that she saw one of my photos in USA Swimming's Splash magazine. I haven't seen the issue yet, so not sure which one (probably #1). Not a major deal (small magazine), but still pretty fun:

Hey, take it when you can get it.. :)

Great shots!

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

Jasonfire124
142 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 24, 2013 08:51 as a reply to  @ kenjancef's post |  #6913

I own a 1D MKIII and 5Dc and am thinking of upgrading. I am at that stage where I mostly shoot my kids and family rather than exploring my real interest in Landscapes which I hope to get back to once my kids grow up and I get any time back to myself.

I am considering selling the 5Dc, buying the 6D and keeping the 1D MKIII for those fast moving kids shots OR selling both and buying the 5D MKIII.

Has anyone had the same thought or upgraded and would like to comment on whether they were pleased with their choice ? In other words anyone use both the 6D AND 1D MKIII.

Canon 1D MKIII(SOLD), 5Dc(SOLD), Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100, 5D MKIII, 70-200 f2.8L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8II, 17-40 f4L, Sigma 35 1.4, Fuji 18-55 Kit Lens, Fuji 35mm f1.4, Fuji 55-230, Samyang 12mm f2
flickr (external link)facebook (external link)instagram (external link)

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 24, 2013 09:48 |  #6914

For kids, I don't think 6D is better than your 1D. The focusing/tracking is not comparable. If you really like fullframe and want to upgrade, I'll sell both and get a 5Diii

Jasonfire124 wrote in post #15527765 (external link)
I own a 1D MKIII and 5Dc and am thinking of upgrading. I am at that stage where I mostly shoot my kids and family rather than exploring my real interest in Landscapes which I hope to get back to once my kids grow up and I get any time back to myself.

I am considering selling the 5Dc, buying the 6D and keeping the 1D MKIII for those fast moving kids shots OR selling both and buying the 5D MKIII.

Has anyone had the same thought or upgraded and would like to comment on whether they were pleased with their choice ? In other words anyone use both the 6D AND 1D MKIII.

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2013 19:27 |  #6915

Jasonfire124 wrote in post #15527765 (external link)

Keep the 1D3 and invest in some fast primes

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,958,856 views & 1,066 likes for this thread
-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.