Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 May 2007 (Sunday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Lightroom Threads

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 02, 2013 17:22 |  #661

digital paradise wrote in post #15436284 (external link)
I found it pretty easily. I did place my catalogue on the external drive and the backups where there. I never go into that folder so I should have checked first before asking. There where quite a few. What back up interval do you suggest?

I just do the default (once a week) backup. It's been sufficient for me.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2013 18:27 |  #662

Thanks Tony. That appears to be the default. I'll just clean it up more often.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 02, 2013 18:46 |  #663

digital paradise wrote in post #15436635 (external link)
Thanks Tony. That appears to be the default. I'll just clean it up more often.

Just realize that the built-in Lightroom back-up function is not the same as a back-up of your "stuff", your system and your images. That is something you have to do seperately.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2013 21:36 |  #664

I was aware of that. Thanks again.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 02, 2013 21:39 |  #665

René Damkot wrote in post #15434613 (external link)
Increasing Detail?
Why? That would leave more noise untouched…

I usually set NR to 100 (blurred mess) then set the Detail slider to the point where all noise is just eliminated. Usually between 40-60. Then I set NR to the desired value, and match this number on the Contrast slider.

I saw a general recommendation to increase the Luminance Detail (noise threshold) a bit as the Luminance NR reduction gets high in order to preserve a bit more detail. Seems to work up to a point. If the image is so noisy that the program can't tell detail from noise then all it does is make the image even more noisy.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

chuckdee
38 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 07, 2013 16:00 |  #666

tonylong wrote in post #15436722 (external link)
Just realize that the built-in Lightroom back-up function is not the same as a back-up of your "stuff", your system and your images. That is something you have to do seperately.

What is the difference?

steel buildings (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2013 16:11 |  #667

tonylong wrote in post #15436722 (external link)

chuckdee wrote in post #15457795 (external link)
What is the difference?

The built-in Lightroom backup only backs up your catalog folders/files. It does not back up your actual images. You should back up your images using a seperate process.

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2013 17:35 |  #668

tonylong wrote in post #15457843 (external link)
The built-in Lightroom backup only backs up your catalog folders/files. It does not back up your actual images. You should back up your images using a seperate process.

Actually it is just one quite large file with the extension .lrcat that gets backed up.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2013 19:07 |  #669

tzalman wrote in post #15458173 (external link)
Actually it is just one quite large file with the extension .lrcat that gets backed up.

Ah, you're right, I had thought that it backed up the "Standard Preview" files as well...maybe that was earlier versions of LR, or am I just suffering from "Old Man's Syndrome"?

Tony

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 15, 2013 21:51 |  #670

Anybody have a need for the latest Scott Kelby LH4 manual? It was part of my package and I don't need it. PM your addy and I'll send it your way...

Lynn

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2013 22:05 |  #671

There is a online class on lightroom in a couple of days at creativelive.com, I am hoping to watch it so I can learn to use the program a bit more than just using it for a picture viewing software. :D

One thing I dont like it as a picture viewing software is sometimes it opens and shows the previous customers photos, which could be an issue with privacy. I was thining of creating a new catalogue for every new customer, that way I can save one with the folders I like to use *main set for customer, inside that have a bunch of folders, 00 - all, 01 - selected by me, 02a - selected by customer, 02b selected by customer, 02c, 02d" etc. then just copy and paste that library file, rename it for the customer and open it. in theory it shoudl be an easy way to move databases between computers?

am I making things to complicated? :)

Canon investor

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 15, 2013 22:30 |  #672

GerryDavid wrote in post #15494266 (external link)
There is a online class on lightroom in a couple of days at creativelive.com, I am hoping to watch it so I can learn to use the program a bit more than just using it for a picture viewing software. :D

One thing I dont like it as a picture viewing software is sometimes it opens and shows the previous customers photos, which could be an issue with privacy. I was thining of creating a new catalogue for every new customer, that way I can save one with the folders I like to use *main set for customer, inside that have a bunch of folders, 00 - all, 01 - selected by me, 02a - selected by customer, 02b selected by customer, 02c, 02d" etc. then just copy and paste that library file, rename it for the customer and open it. in theory it shoudl be an easy way to move databases between computers?

am I making things to complicated? :)

It's quite typical for software to open in the "previous view". One thing you can you can set the Edit/Preferences General dialog to "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected". This "usually" works -- plug in a card reader and Lightroom opens the Import dialog. I say "usually" because it doesn't always work.

I'd say if you want to reliability ensure that a client's work is "hidden" when you next open LR, just set LR to a "safe" folder before you close it/do another job, no big deal!

Tony

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2013 22:33 |  #673

there is also like 50k pictures in the main folder and the list of customers is getting quiet long.

how often do you all build a new catalog?

I was thinking of doing a new catalog for each customer and renaming the folder to that customer would be easier to find them later than trying to find which catalog that one customer might be in out of 5 huge ones. :)

Canon investor

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 15, 2013 23:57 |  #674

GerryDavid wrote in post #15494373 (external link)
there is also like 50k pictures in the main folder and the list of customers is getting quiet long.

how often do you all build a new catalog?

I was thinking of doing a new catalog for each customer and renaming the folder to that customer would be easier to find them later than trying to find which catalog that one customer might be in out of 5 huge ones. :)

Lightroom gives you keywords and collections so you can organize and quickly locate things within the one catalog.

If you choose to create different catalogs, then you're limited, since LR will only have one catalog open at a time. To try to locate files in many folders in numerous catalogs you'd need to use keywords then other software to do the "locating". To me I'd prefer to avoid that route, but there are folks with similar situations to yours who use multiple catalogs. If I were you I'd closely look at the options!

Tony

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 16, 2013 00:04 |  #675

I dont think im using lightroom properly. :D I just use it to toss the pics from a portrait session on after the jpgs have been sized down to 2100 on the long side, and copy the flagged pics into a few folders, so 300 pics down to 150 pics in the second folder, down to 75 pics in the third folder down to 40 pics in the 4th folder and then what actually gets ordered goes into the 5th, 6th, 7th folders, with the folder names being what was ordered, prints, albums, wallets, etc. :)

then I export the list of files to the desktop and I am done with light room. I then copy the jpgs to the raw folder to make it easier to select all the files I need and move the raw files to the customers folder on the hard drive, then the jpgs get erased and the raw files get opened in my raw editor, usually dpp but sometimes ps cs5 where they get exported to tiffs. :)

The only problem is the files that are loaded into light room are not always available for the export and trying to find the new folder is a pain in the butt.

Canon investor

sponsored links

337,988 views & 15 likes for this thread
Lightroom Threads
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.