Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jan 2013 (Friday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lost a client

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 14, 2013 16:10 |  #31

JReichert wrote in post #15488300 (external link)
I don't see what nationality has to do with business here. I'm American but I can see how this would be terribly offensive to anyone from the Middle East.

middle eastener here. definitely not offensive. pakistani and indian companies do computer related work at 1/10th of the price that it costs us here.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

sponsored links
Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2013 19:35 |  #32

glumpy wrote in post #15477121 (external link)
:eek:

Have a relative be your 2nd shooter because you need one anyway?
Wow, That sounds mighty professional. :rolleyes:
Going to look even more professional if that relative turns out to be 75 Yo Aunt mavis or 80 yo uncle Bob.
In any event, it's going to make people wonder WFT the B&G hired you.
Which I'm wondering myself?

I'd be laughing my arse off at this if that wasn't such a worry.
What about the rest of the family, You good with them all shooting over you shoulder as well?

No wonder real Professional photographers are struggling to convince the public of their worth and people are getting friends to shoot for them. When so called professionals are Condoning and undermining the profession like this, is it any wonder people are doing like the OP's friend did or going to wartmart?? :rolleyes:

I wonder who the next couple in the family or group of friends are going to ask to shoot their wedding, you or the relative?
No prizes for guessing that correct answer to that give away question! :rolleyes:

Thanks Glumpy I knew I could count on you.... I was kind kind of waiting for it. Actually my brides sister is a art major at the RSDI (Rhode island school of design) I believe she is going there for media studies. Doesn't mean she knows anything about photography but its a good start.

The bride hired me because she because she saw my work published in a magazine and she contacted me through the publisher. I am sure if she was looking for a cheap 5x7 head shot she would have called you.

One of my clients requests was that her relative assist me with the wedding. Would a "real professional photographer" say "hell no, its undermining my profession, I wont stand for it!" Or would you take the job and make it work? Maybe that is why the real pros are struggling?

Honestly, I dont really care if my bride and grooms friends contact me for their future wedding. I only have so many weekends that I can work. I do a handful of weddings a year and that's it.

There is always going to be someone cheaper than you (well, maybe not cheaper than you Glumpy) But anyway.....If your losing customers to Wallmart than you dont really want those clients anyway.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 14, 2013 21:59 |  #33

Kronie wrote in post #15489253 (external link)
One of my clients requests was that her relative assist me with the wedding. Would a "real professional photographer" say "hell no, its undermining my profession, I wont stand for it!" Or would you take the job and make it work? Maybe that is why the real pros are struggling?

I would just say "no", it is non negotiable as far as I'm concerned. I don't go into a restaurant and say "I'll only eat dinner here if my girlfriend can help you make the mains". It is undermining the professionalism of the person you are hiring by putting a caveat on how they can do their job.

If a family member wants to take photos on the day it doesn't bother me, but I am there to do my job. I'm not there to train or baby sit some random with a camera. Yes I'll answer the odd question but relying on them to provide part of the service I am providing? If I am going to have anyone assist they will have been trained by me so I know their capabilities and can rely on them to do what I need them to do.

Using some random relative as a second shooter... whoa... :rolleyes: that to me is a good definition of unprofessional.

In my book...

If a wedding photographer shoots a wedding without backup equipment = professionally negligent.

If a wedding photographer shoots a wedding without a contract = daft (that being an understatement) not to mention unprofessional. Not only that but here in Australia the copyrights belong to the couple automatically for a wedding unless there is a contract to state otherwise. In that instance the photographer doesn't understand copyright laws either.

Shooting a wedding without the right insurance = daft and amateurish.

Peter

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 15, 2013 06:52 |  #34

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15489802 (external link)
I would just say "no", it is non negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

That's why your sitting at home on a Saturday and I am shooting her wedding. I understand exactly what your saying but in this circumstance and for this client, it worked out.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2013 23:36 |  #35

I'm confident enough in my abilities that I could take a newbie on and give them tasks that would be helpful rather than harmful...or at the very least harmless. It takes some experience at managing people but it's not impossible.

As far as the OP goes, I've only ever lost jobs that I wouldn't want anyway and mostly because the pay would be too low to make it worthwhile. No biggy.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,292 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 16, 2013 05:13 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #36

It says a lot for the camera manufacturers that they are able to design high end DSLRs that can be operated by little children. :rolleyes:

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2013 08:15 |  #37

I agree with everyone. Friends and family should be for free or I wouldn't do it. If your good at what you do, I have a feeling once her fiancé sister takes the pics with he new "Christmas present", she'll regret she didn't have you take them. (and make sure you Remind her you would of done it for free)

It's called Karma. :-)

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 16, 2013 08:29 |  #38

JReichert wrote in post #15488300 (external link)
I don't see what nationality has to do with business here. I'm American but I can see how this would be terribly offensive to anyone from the Middle East.

Pakistan is actually South Asia as it was once part of India.

Where I come from being called pakistani is not an offensive term but refers to which country you came from, the same way people from Gujarat are called gujarti's, or you's might call me me indian since my ancestors came from India

Unfortunately my way of speaking would come across as xenophopic for which I apologize

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,002 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 16, 2013 09:38 |  #39

FerozeK wrote in post #15495402 (external link)
Pakistan is actually South Asia as it was once part of India.

Where I come from being called pakistani is not an offensive term but refers to which country you came from, the same way people from Gujarat are called gujarti's, or you's might call me me indian since my ancestors came from India

Unfortunately my way of speaking would come across as xenophopic for which I apologize

You seem to have been linking a specific nationality with a particular undesirable business practice.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 16, 2013 19:20 |  #40

Dan Marchant wrote in post #15495074 (external link)
It says a lot for the camera manufacturers that they are able to design high end DSLRs that can be operated by little children. :rolleyes:

Absolutely...my two year old has it down....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i586.photobucke​t.com …akronie/H_zpsa2​3f9a71.jpg (external link)

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2013 19:36 |  #41

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15475700 (external link)
Lost a client

I don't understand, how did you lose something that you never had?

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2013 20:37 |  #42

Ahh, these things happen, at least she was nice enough to call you. I have come to the conclusion that If someone was interested enough to contact me and I don't book them, it's normally my fault. I cannot control everything but I do the best I can.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

tbsguy18
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 18, 2013 13:51 |  #43

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #15498256 (external link)
I don't understand, how did you lose something that you never had?

Lol...I guess she wasn't technically a "client". It was just the first word that popped in my head when I needed a title. But you're right. She wasn't a client (or even a potential client?), just a friend who asked me to take pictures and insisted on paying me...then changed her mind because it was too expensive. What would you call that?

Gripped Canon 60D 50 f/1.8---17-50 f/2.8---70-200 f/4 L

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2013 13:51 |  #44

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15505535 (external link)
Lol...I guess she wasn't technically a "client". It was just the first word that popped in my head when I needed a title. But you're right. She wasn't a client (or even a potential client?), just a friend who asked me to take pictures and insisted on paying me...then changed her mind because it was too expensive. What would you call that?

Ummm. A woman? :)

tbsguy18
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 18, 2013 13:55 |  #45

gonzogolf wrote in post #15505540 (external link)
Ummm. A woman? :)

Ok...sexist or not, that was pretty funny.
bw!

Gripped Canon 60D 50 f/1.8---17-50 f/2.8---70-200 f/4 L

sponsored links

10,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost a client
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.