Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 13 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cicada Killer Wasp

DSallee
34 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 13, 2013 23:05 |  #1

Hey all, been a while since I've been around and posted. Glad to be back!! I actually shot this last summer. My main pc crashed and just now getting around to retrieving older pics and getting them edited.

I had never seen one before or been around them, these suckers are big! I thought for sure it would sting ya like a regular wasp but my uncle said they are pretty much harmless to humans. I was freaking out getting THIS close to one! LOL (been stung by wasp before)

Anyways, was shot with my Canon 10D, Sigma 70-300 @ 90mm (on macro setting), f/5.6, ISO 250, 1/90 sec

Thanks for looking, comments & CC welcome

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MKII | Canon 28-90mm | Sigma 70-300mm
Model Mayhem (external link)~My JPG Magazine Profile (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,648 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2013 11:10 |  #2

lovely shot of one

CMOats
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 14, 2013 15:02 |  #3

Super shot!

Cheryl
Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark III, G12 & some cool lenses;)

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 14, 2013 21:28 as a reply to  @ CMOats's post |  #4

Very nice shot.

Canon 7D, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430EX II,

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 15, 2013 20:27 |  #5

They seem to like my patio. They dig out enormous mounds of dirt. I have like 30-40 swarming around in the warmer months. Real scary sight. I won't even use my BBQ when they're out. Yeah, I know, they don't sting. But have they got that memo?

Nice shot

Rubberhead
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 15, 2013 20:34 |  #6

MDJAK wrote in post #15493919 (external link)
Yeah, I know, they don't sting. But have they got that memo?

Here's a shot of one doing its thing. I watched her plunge her 1/2" stinger in that poor cicada about 15 times. I don't think they've got the memo.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/8027079933_f9dd7fb9f4_b.jpg

EQUIPMENT: 40D | Rebel XT | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 28-135mm IS | EF-S 18-55mm IS | EF 50mm 1.8 - flickr (external link)

PhotoFranz
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 16, 2013 12:56 |  #7

I am no expert on these for sure, but I am guessing that was NOT a stinger that you saw. It was probably an ovipositor and the wasp was laying eggs in its victim.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photofranz/ (external link)
Camera: Fujifilm HS 50 EXR 42X zoom, Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG ST, Vegas Movie Studio 9.0, Noiseware Standard Edition, Photoshop Elements-11, Photomatix Essentials. I am here to learn from the experts.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2013 13:00 |  #8

Well, I don't know what an ovipositor is, but I sprayed one with bug spray last season. After it lay dead, a nutty buddy of mine picked it up and examined it. It sure as heck looked like a stinger.

I don't know where they lay their eggs, I just know for the past three years, every time it gets warm weather, they are surrounding my home with a vengeance. I've gone through 50 cans of bug spray. We even go out at night and spray it into their holes, which seems to work somewhat.

We've read on the internet people have resorted to using brake fluid in their holes. I don't want to pour that into my property. The bug spray is bad enough.

Patc
174 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 17, 2013 03:51 |  #9

Great Macro :)

DSallee
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2013 15:37 |  #10

Thanks for the response all... yea, they dont look to friendly but even though I was among them shooting, they never once threatened me or came at me!

Gear: Canon 1Ds MKII | Canon 28-90mm | Sigma 70-300mm
Model Mayhem (external link)~My JPG Magazine Profile (external link)

Shackleton
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 19, 2013 18:47 |  #11

I've read that they CAN sting people, but you just about have to grab a live one and hold it to get stung. They tend to conserve their venom for prey(cicadas) and necessary defense instead of running "us" off. Cool pic, I've never seen a live one.

sponsored links

2,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cicada Killer Wasp
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.