Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji X100S and X20

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 15, 2013 13:43 |  #31

the current X100 has no issues with LR but yeah the new one with its X-Trans II and all the issues Ive been reading lately are worrying me a little.
The update for C1 seems to have improved RAW conversion but I'm hoping Adobe releases something out before the new X100s comes out.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

sponsored links
rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2013 15:22 |  #32

I think it depends on the user with what their needs and wants are. Personally I feel this whole RAW support thing has been made to seem like it's more of a problem than it really is thanks to the good ol internet.

I shoot in RAW with my XPRO1 and for my taste, it's fine. Maybe I have low standards? But I don't think I do. I don't make images for pixel peepers. I make images for myself and others that like to enjoy photography. I don't make images to be examined under magnification.

With that said, anytime IQ can improve from a RAW converter, I'm all for it. But it's not a big deal to me because the viewer isn't going to care or probably even notice. That's only something us users nitpick over. And unless I'm comparing two images side by side, I won't notice either.

If this RAW issue is really an issue for any of you, you might be interested in post #9
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15492631#po​st15492631

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2013 04:52 |  #33

rjx, or anyone else - do you guys know of anyone who does some semi-serious landscape work with the x100. Primarily mountains, and waterfalls? Along with the beautiful Highway 1 here in CA, I'm always visiting the Pacific Northwest. I wonder how well a camera like the x100/x100s would fare in those enviroments (Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, Mt Olympus, Columbia River Gorge, Mckenzie Pass, Oregon Coast, etc.) taking "fine-art-esque" landscape photography in color. A lot of landscape work that I see from the x100 is B&W, which is awesome too, but I like color a lot.

I understand the 35mm focal length can be seen as a disadvantage for landscape, but I wouldn't mind tackling that challenge. I do wish there was a 24mm converter instead of the 28mm as I like to shoot landscapes at around 24mm. 28mm would have to do if I decide to pickup an X100s for some "amateur serious landscape photography" for my own collection and not for sales.

If anyone has got some samples or can point me to a photographer using the X100 as a key landscape tool, that would be wonderful. I know the X100 shines for travel and street but if I can get quality landscape shots, esp in color, long exposures, and solid RAW files, I wouldn't think twice about this camera.

Flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 16, 2013 07:54 as a reply to  @ ninhja's post |  #34

i'm Strongly considering selling my X Pro 1 and purchasing one of these badboys!

i have the X100 it was great, the slow focus i managed! but this x100s withthe trans sensor and no AA filter = awesomeness!

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 16, 2013 09:05 |  #35

The x100s looks nice and all but I myself am considering picking up the original x100 instead since it's come down in price quite nicely. The x100s is almost double the price, which isn't really worth it for me with the faster af and the other improvements.

sublimesun
404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2013 09:40 |  #36

Xcelx wrote in post #15495573 (external link)
The x100s looks nice and all but I myself am considering picking up the original x100 instead since it's come down in price quite nicely. The x100s is almost double the price, which isn't really worth it for me with the faster af and the other improvements.

If you haven't owned an original I think it is hard to justify the price difference. On the other hand having owned an original x100 I would gladly pay the asking price for the "s" version with all the latest advancements.

ww.mattlucasphotograph​y.com (external link) flick (external link)r 500px (external link)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,786 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2013 10:23 |  #37

I was looking at C1 test yesterday
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-trans-raw-support-tested (external link)
and didn't like it.
But, I need x20 to replace iPhone for the times I and my wife don't want to use DSLR.
So, no good RAW support is no problem for me. Our old Fuji has same problem. We take pictures in JPEG1 instead of RAW and if light is good - they are printable.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Lien
280 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 12:23 |  #38

I have the X100s pre-ordered. My current X100 has been with me for a few months and I immensely enjoy using the Fuji. The image quality and low light performance is quite impressive.

The X100s improves on an already amazing experience, sign me up! Tho I will take a huge hit on my X100 resale.. to me, its worth it.

Canon 6D | Fuji X100 | Fuji XE-2 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon EF 70-300 IS USM | 430EX | 270EX

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 16, 2013 12:28 |  #39

^me too, I've owned the X100 for only 2 weeks but I knew already it was a great camera and matches my shooting style (RF style).
Will be selling my X100 for $600 to a friend in Feb and I already put $700 deposit for the X100s and just bought the WLC-X100 conversion lens.

only thing that still worries me is the X-Trans support through LR, hopefully they will get this resolved before the release.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 16, 2013 12:42 as a reply to  @ taemo's post |  #40

The J[pegs out of my Xtrans sensore are Magnificent!!!!!!

I rarely shoot raw with my X Pro1

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

Lien
280 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 13:01 |  #41

dtufino wrote in post #15496419 (external link)
The J[pegs out of my Xtrans sensore are Magnificent!!!!!!

I rarely shoot raw with my X Pro1

I also stick to jpeg with my X100. I have not been able to achieve better results with LR from raw over the Fuji jpeg so I gave up.

My 7D on the other hand... needs to shoot raw for best results.

Canon 6D | Fuji X100 | Fuji XE-2 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon EF 70-300 IS USM | 430EX | 270EX

eightweight
340 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 17, 2013 14:10 |  #42

you should be glad that you did not just get a X100, then have this issue of the new X100S being offered.
your in the drivers seat , I have no idea why you would not buy the X100S

Bill

jocabogho wrote in post #15487697 (external link)
Same happened to me... I'm still wondering if the extras of the x100s are worth the extra dollars?

5D MK 3//24mm "L" 1.4// 16-35 "L" 2.8 // 24-70 "L" 2.8 MK2// 35mm "L" 1.4 // Canon EX600RT flash // Fuji X-E2
35m 1.4 // 14mm 2.8 //Fuji EFX20 & Fuji X100S
Lightroom 3

Bazinga
362 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 18, 2013 08:50 |  #43

Here's the x100s manual for anyone interested.

http://www.fujirumors.​com …l-available-for-download/ (external link)

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 18, 2013 09:38 |  #44

x100 looks great1 It may be my next purchase come tax return season =)

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

Bazinga
362 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 22, 2013 08:01 |  #45

Got a weird email today from Adorama regarding my pre-order of the x100s. Said something to the effect of "so sorry we missed the targeted ship date." Luckily I'm not expecting it for another 2 months. :D

sponsored links

49,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji X100S and X20
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.