Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Artist ???

NWPhil
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2013 13:51 |  #1

So, I know this guy, that actually takes some decent shots. He is into a very narrow and sort of specialized field - mountaineering photography - which does give him indeed an edge.
Now, by chance and lack of competition, and mostly a pay-back favor, he was even awarded some prize for shots he donated to a mountaineering group he belongs to...
He know calls himself an "artist" really! - printed right on his FB photography page - note that the guy as a profession, and photography is indeed an hobby/ wanna-be-freelancer gig going on.
Not that he does not deserve credit for hauling sometimes 10 pounds of gear while climbing, and that indeed he has some good quality shots.
What disturbs me is, seeing him naming himself artist, when indeed he does not belong in such a category...
Now, I am not jealous - it's just a rant, because other people will perceive him as such(artist) and it will diminish the true artist perception, and lead to wrongfull perception common people have about photographers, and artists

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title? LOL

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2013 13:58 |  #2

NWPhil wrote in post #15496717 (external link)
So, I know this guy, that actually takes some decent shots. He is into a very narrow and sort of specialized field - mountaineering photography - which does give him indeed an edge.
Now, by chance and lack of competition, and mostly a pay-back favor, he was even awarded some prize for shots he donated to a mountaineering group he belongs to...
He know calls himself an "artist" really! - printed right on his FB photography page - note that the guy as a profession, and photography is indeed an hobby/ wanna-be-freelancer gig going on.
Not that he does not deserve credit for hauling sometimes 10 pounds of gear while climbing, and that indeed he has some good quality shots.
What disturbs me is, seeing him naming himself artist, when indeed he does not belong in such a category...
Now, I am not jealous - it's just a rant, because other people will perceive him as such(artist) and it will diminish the true artist perception, and lead to wrongfull perception common people have about photographers, and artists

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title? LOL

Did he graduate from artist school? That's the key point, I think. :rolleyes:

This is a pretty odd rant. Who cares what he calls himself?

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:06 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #3

Seriously, your upset because he calls himself an artist. Hell when my daughter was 2 she finger painted better then some artist (in my openion). If he called himself a photographer would that upset you as well? What he shoots can be hung on a wall or displayed which makes it art in turn making him an artist.

recrisp
Goldmember
2,539 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 14:06 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #4

If he is an artist, then he may not be the best.
As an example, years ago in Dear Abby, (If anyone remembers her) she had written, 'Out of all of the lawyers and doctors there is, 50% graduated in the bottom of their class', or something to that effect... What that means is, if a person is an artist, they may be a not-so-good one, so that artist could've been in the bottom half. :)

I do know what you are meaning though, you have to earn a title like that, or, you make your living as one.
Personally, I have been an artist for many years, not a photographer artist though, and it took me years before I felt I could call myself one. I know where I stand in the art world too, (maybe not in the upper parts! heheh) but still, I am one.

The thing is, he can call himself what he wants, and if he is, then others will notice, and if he isn't, they will still notice, and he will be weeded out.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2013 14:17 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Frankly, any creative field one can call oneself an artist. You can call yourself an artist too. :) How good of an artist you are depending on a lot of things. Are your arts unique? Do they express some inner visions of yours? Are you breaking new ground and setting up an new trend? Are there professional artists??? Hahahaha..... All creative art forms are more or less in the hobby realm. You love what you do and maybe good enough being commissioned to create an art piece. What if your art is beyond the time and your works are only famous posthumously??? Does it mean you become an artist after you have died???? Heheheh....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,863 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 14:18 |  #6

You really need to take a deep breath, maybe a good stiff drink, and worry about what you are going to call yourself. As for me, I call my self King Emperor of the Department of Redundancy Department, Sector R. Kedrdsr for short.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

NWPhil
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2013 14:22 |  #7

Other people care, and believe in it because he call himself such ..and they don't know better.

Randy says it well, that you have to earn the title - just like the appalachian trail thru hikers - they are given a nickname; they don't choose one :)

Yes, he can call himself one, just like anyone else can. I seen him in action - he is not in pursue of intelectual recognizition, therefore my useless rant about this.

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:22 |  #8

recrisp wrote in post #15496787 (external link)
I do know what you are meaning though, you have to earn a title like that

Where do you go to earn that title? Its kinda like the "photographer" title. Now engineer, doctor those are titles you have to earn and normaly have paper work to back it up.

NWPhil
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2013 14:24 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #15496850 (external link)
You really need to take a deep breath, maybe a good stiff drink, and worry about what you are going to call yourself. As for me, I call my self King Emperor of the Department of Redundancy Department, Sector R. Kedrdsr for short.

LOL - I care less about what I call myself- darn, another 4 hours till that stiff drink.

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:25 |  #10

NWPhil wrote in post #15496864 (external link)
Other people care, and believe in it because he call himself such ..and they don't know better.

Randy says it well, that you have to earn the title - just like the appalachian trail thru hikers - they are given a nickname; they don't choose one :)

Yes, he can call himself one, just like anyone else can. I seen him in action - he is not in pursue of intelectual recognizition, therefore my useless rant about this.

Would you be happier if he called himself a photographer? or can he not do that either. Hell I have viewed so much crap that is put out by "Artists" that it makes my head spin.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:25 |  #11

One of the worst rants I've read on PotN. Let him call whatever he wants to label himself.

In this day and age, I can poo on a piece of paper and consider that art and myself an artist. I've seen art exhibits of just a urinal, a painting that's completely blue, something that looks like a color palette from home depot, etc. (all from the Philadelphia Art Museum). You name it, they have it. Art is subjective, so anything can be considered art. That being said, if he wants to label his photographs art, then so be it. It shouldn't bother you at all. If I want to label myself the best wedding photographer in the universe, so be it. Whether it's true or not, he himself knows. Period.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,863 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 14:25 |  #12

...that you have to earn the title - just like the appalachian trail thru hikers - they are given a nickname; they don't choose one :)....

Hey, just like animal house or the Title Fairy. Maybe you'll to get a title you earned, Jealous and insecure. :):):):)

Ok, that was a bit mean, but come on, really? Your gonna get your undies in a bunch because someone calls them selves an artist? Let it go, it's just not worth it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

NWPhil
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2013 14:29 |  #13

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15496865 (external link)
Where do you go to earn that title? Its kinda like the "photographer" title. Now engineer, doctor those are titles you have to earn and normaly have paper work to back it up.

Photographer is/can be a profession, hence the title

Doctors are so full of it, that they even introduce themselves ( outside work environment), as Doctor bla-bla, as if was part of their name

The point being of, what one can call himself, and indeed deserving the title

( you should not be so upset for what I think anyway - geezz.... keep it above 5th grade level)

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:30 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #15496881 (external link)
Hey, just like animal house or the Title Fairy. Maybe you'll to get a title you earned, Jealous and insecure. :):):):)

Ok, that was a bit mean, but come on, really? Your gonna get your undies in a bunch because someone calls them selves an artist? Let it go, it's just not worth it.

I think I know what the problem is, he is calling himself an artist while eating at a 5 star resturant and not top ramen. Gotta be starving to call yourself an artist right :lol:

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2013 14:30 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, he can call himself one, just like anyone else can. I seen him in action - he is not in pursue of intellectual recognition, therefore my useless rant about this.

This is what you don't understand about arts. Successful artists are usually artists manage to capitalize the current trend and to satisfy certain intellectual persuade of the age spirit. They manage to please the crowds. Now, what if you believe that your artistic visions are beyond the age time and somewhat very individualistic. And you have no intentions to please the herd mentality. Well, you won't be as successful as the artists who are pleasing the crowds and making everyone happy.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Artist ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.