Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G Series Forum Decline

GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 15, 2013 20:06 |  #1

Anyone notice the decline in participation in this forum? I suspect that the reason for the decline is that the G15 is a lot like the G12, the G1X did not really catch on and the EOS-M is not a “G”.

Although I like and use my G1X regularly, the questions and answers about the recent Powershot G series are mostly the same as for the previous models and have been repeatedly discussed here.

What’s next for the G series? Anything? Blah?

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

sponsored links
afkenner
318 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2013 05:42 |  #2

After a few years with a G10 and G12, used primarily for street photography, I tried the G1X and didn't like it as much for street use. Even though the larger sensor captures a terrific amount of detail, other aspects of the camera made it less appealing than my G12, at least for my intended use. So I am back to using the G12 but just itching to try something new out in the street. Then the Fuji X100 gets a firmware update that fixes many of its problems, they introduce a new X100S, pushing the used X100 price down a bit (to G1X prices), I grab one used from a forum and maybe I have found what I'm looking for in a street photography camera. It doesn't have many of the G's features, but I set up the G12 with manual hyperfocal settings and left it at the widest zoom most of the time anyway. No way the G's IQ or low light performance will come close to the Fuji.

So what I am saying is that Canon hasn't evolved the G series fast enough or improved the IQ or (especially) the low light/high ISO noise issues to keep the G competitive or innovative for many photographers. In addition, Canon now offers the S series compact p&s line, and excepting the hot shoe (important to me), you get most of the G series' "specialness" in a smaller, totally pocketable camera. The EOS-M is a different beast entirely, but it ought to provide the higher-end quality that G users may have been hoping to see in the next G.

So on both ends, the G series has been squeezed into a tiny niche, mostly by Canon themselves,and I am guessing that photographers are looking to other cameras for the functionality and convenience and IQ that was previously available ONLY from the once-innovative G series.

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog (external link) | Zenphoto (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 16, 2013 07:00 |  #3

It has been very slow, to the point that I have not been encouraged to step up from my G12. Id like to see an improved G1X. I have actually seen several G15 already selling used for 350.00. G1X selling used for as low as 400.00, a camera that came out at 800.00.

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2013 07:13 |  #4

When Canon makes a real step UP from our G9s (wife & I each have one) we may buy another?? we thought the G15 was it but after a week of steady use,,we returned it,,,
-----------
Ron

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2013 12:39 |  #5

I think the gradual decline will partly be contributed by the good cameras out in the market place by Fuji and Sony. We even have current members on this forum who debate how good there Fuji model is on this G camera section.
Canon haven,t really gone with the flow of the interchangeable lens compact system, they have kept the G cameras at a good for value price, the G15 and G1x is under £500 here where some of the Sony and Fuji models are getting nearer to £1000.
The question is will the Sony and Fuji converts return.........will Canon come up with something outside the box.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 16, 2013 17:06 |  #6

I have been sold on Canon so long I just wont try another brand again after stepping out with a Fuji once. I hated the Fuji proprietary RAW processing and like the seamless RAW processing of Canon and thier DPP software. I have contemplated getting either a G1X or a G15 but just havent been convinced that it is a large enough jump up from G12 to have to give up all my many accessories with it just to make the change. Im really hoping on a better G1X but I also remember waiting forever for a better Pro1 that never came.

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 16, 2013 20:58 |  #7

The future of the G-series is a bit unclear now. Back in the day when men were men and the size of a camera body refelected the size of it's sensor, the G-series cameras were at or near the front of the pack for a compact option to a DSLR with lots of features and manual controls. As soon as Panasonic and Olympus removed the mirror from a DSLR and created Micro Four Thirds, there was a middle ground option in terms of size for very little loss in IQ AND it offerred interchangeable lenses. The price of these types of cameras has come down as well which puts a further squeeze on the traditional small-sensor enthusiast compact camera market.

The G1X is different again. I've no idea if Canon has sold many of these, but it is clear that a lot of people don't get the concept. Some say that it's too big compared to the existing G-series cameras, apparently missing the advantage of the larger sensor. Some say that if you want a large(r) sensor compact zoom you should get an RX100, but that gets you a so-so lens in a camera that handles like a bar of soap. Some say that you might as well get a Micro 4/3 camera or NEX with a kit lens, missing the fact that you won't get anything quite as small with a lens anywhere near as good the one found in the G1X. Some want to shoot with primes or change lenses: fair enough, so do I. But, I'm still left wanting a high quality and compact zoom lens as per my previous point. Canon is not totally blameless however since the G1X doesn't have the same polish as any comtemporary Micro 4/3 camera when it comes to operation, although obviously the output is first rate.

The G1X concept is actually not that far removed from the Fuji X100 which DID cause much foaming at the mouth by combining modern tech with classic styling and controls AND a prime lens. The fixed prime lens is a lot of the reason why I didn't want the X100, but it was the perfect choice for the market that that camera was aimed at.

So anyway, that's my take on why the G-series has lost some of it's traditional user base. Basically Canon haven't followed where the bulk of the market has headed in anything smaller than a Rebel DSLR.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 16, 2013 21:09 |  #8

afkenner wrote in post #15495106 (external link)
Even though the larger sensor captures a terrific amount of detail, other aspects of the camera made it less appealing than my G12, at least for my intended use.

Which aspects exactly?

So what I am saying is that Canon hasn't evolved the G series fast enough or improved the IQ or (especially) the low light/high ISO noise issues to keep the G competitive or innovative for many photographers.

Here you're losing me - You mention above that the G1X' sensor captures a terrific amount of detail, and now you're saying that Canon hasn't improved the IQ and high ISO noise of the G series? When everybody raves about the IQ of the G1X - me included (I own one).
I don't really understand your line of reasoning here.

Gerard

Otohp
337 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 16, 2013 21:18 |  #9

Ronnie H wrote in post #15495242 (external link)
When Canon makes a real step UP from our G9s (wife & I each have one) we may buy another?? we thought the G15 was it but after a week of steady use,,we returned it,,,
-----------
Ron

the G series is just a great bunch of cameras!
i have to say- i agree though there is something special about the G9 :cool:
had the G12 and liked it very much too

but the G15 reminds me more of my old friend the G9- and i believe the G15 will prove itself a better camera- love it so far!

Otohp.

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 19, 2013 00:21 |  #10

How does other manufacturers software compare to Canon. I like the Zoombrowser and DPP especially with the recent HDR tool revision. That will take a single jpeg and has helped me recover a bad shot or make a good shot a little better.

I like my g12 and am not in the market to replace it at this time. The software would be a major consideration when that day arrives.

PowerShotMike
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2013 10:32 |  #11

I personally think Canon is still on the right road and at a decent speed. The G15 was almost in all ways a good upgrade from the G12. Good lens (f1.8-f2.8), Higher resolution sensor, smaller more compact body, better LCD and so forth. Having used the G12, (now G15,S100) I quite like the moves Canon has made. Obviously I would like to see some groundbreaking innovation on Canon's part which they have seemed to be either holding back or just producing good cameras with good output.

http://mikeneufeld604p​hotography.blogspot.ca​/ (external link)

PowerShotMike
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2013 10:35 as a reply to  @ Norman B's post |  #12

Lightroom 4 can be had for so cheap!. I think it's $79.oo correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not to impressed with any stock software.

http://mikeneufeld604p​hotography.blogspot.ca​/ (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 19, 2013 11:03 |  #13

PowerShotMike wrote in post #15508244 (external link)
Lightroom 4 can be had for so cheap!. I think it's $79.oo correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not to impressed with any stock software.

For the upgrade. 150 for the full version. DPP is fine for me and my G12

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 19, 2013 23:23 |  #14

PowerShotMike wrote in post #15508229 (external link)
I personally think Canon is still on the right road and at a decent speed. The G15 was almost in all ways a good upgrade from the G12. Good lens (f1.8-f2.8), Higher resolution sensor, smaller more compact body, better LCD and so forth. Having used the G12, (now G15,S100) I quite like the moves Canon has made. Obviously I would like to see some groundbreaking innovation on Canon's part which they have seemed to be either holding back or just producing good cameras with good output.

Unfortunately (for Canon) the days are over in this market segment where they have to simply worry about providing a decent upgrade from their own previous model. They need to look at the competition and create a compelling reason for folks to buy Canon. Brand loyalty only goes so far with most people.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 20, 2013 11:58 |  #15

mastertech01 wrote in post #15495219 (external link)
It has been very slow, to the point that I have not been encouraged to step up from my G12. Id like to see an improved G1X. I have actually seen several G15 already selling used for 350.00. G1X selling used for as low as 400.00, a camera that came out at 800.00.

Yeah I'm kind of shocked at all of the cheap G1x's I've seen--one at $350 used, and another at $400. Prices on ebay aren't much higher. Makes you wonder about Canon's MSRP strategy.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

15,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
G Series Forum Decline
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.