Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Artist ???

davtackett
925 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 16, 2013 15:44 |  #31

After thought: Everyone is an artist, everyone has their talents with a pen, or words, or camera or something or other. The question is, how good are they. If he made a claim saying he is the best, then maybe that would be a little overboard and subject criticism.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 16, 2013 17:05 |  #32

davtackett wrote in post #15497257 (external link)
After thought: Everyone is an artist, everyone has their talents with a pen, or words, or camera or something or other. The question is, how good are they. If he made a claim saying he is the best, then maybe that would be a little overboard and subject criticism.

Everyone can be artistic, but I don't think it is fair to claim everyone is an artist. The key difference being one is natural human tendency, and the other comes from applied effort and focus.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2013 17:21 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Luckless wrote in post #15497656 (external link)
Everyone can be artistic, but I don't think it is fair to claim everyone is an artist. The key difference being one is natural human tendency, and the other comes from applied effort and focus.

Don't forget. Becoming or being an artist isn't a glamorous thing until you can make it big. Some didn't become famous until they died. :) Sure, you may attract more women.....but today's women can easily smell a fake artist though.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 16, 2013 18:05 |  #34

Why are you trying so hard to put this dude down? I don't see how it affects you. If he is creating aesthetically pleasing and creative photographs that people enjoy looking at and purchasing, let him call himself an artist because that is what he is. I don't see why you are making this your problem and blabbering about it all over the forums.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2013 21:11 |  #35

NWPhil wrote in post #15496717 (external link)
So, I know this guy, that actually takes some decent shots. He is into a very narrow and sort of specialized field - mountaineering photography - which does give him indeed an edge.
Now, by chance and lack of competition, and mostly a pay-back favor, he was even awarded some prize for shots he donated to a mountaineering group he belongs to...
He know calls himself an "artist" really! - printed right on his FB photography page - note that the guy as a profession, and photography is indeed an hobby/ wanna-be-freelancer gig going on.
Not that he does not deserve credit for hauling sometimes 10 pounds of gear while climbing, and that indeed he has some good quality shots.
What disturbs me is, seeing him naming himself artist, when indeed he does not belong in such a category...
Now, I am not jealous - it's just a rant, because other people will perceive him as such(artist) and it will diminish the true artist perception, and lead to wrongfull perception common people have about photographers, and artists

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title? LOL

IMO, photography is a visual art. Generally speaking, people who make art can be considered artists. So generally speaking, I'm entirely comfortable saying that photographers are artists.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 21:19 |  #36

Clean Gene wrote in post #15498578 (external link)
IMO, photography is a visual art. Generally speaking, people who make art can be considered artists. So generally speaking, I'm entirely comfortable saying that photographers are artists.

Photographers are photographers. Some artists are also photographers. Not all photographers are artists.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2013 21:30 |  #37

gjl711 wrote in post #15498608 (external link)
Photographers are photographers. Some artists are also photographers. Not all photographers are artists.

You could just as easily state that not all sculptors are artists. I might go to a museum and look at some dude's painting and say "this isn't art".

But that's pretty much beside the point. I certainly don't see the point in arguing whether a specific person is an artist without at least seeing that person's work. And even if I look at his work and think he's not an artist, it doesn't matter what I think. He can simply self-apply the title, and that's just as valid as me saying that the title doesn't fit. Photography fits the category of "visual art", so any photographer is free to self-apply the title of "artist".

recrisp
Goldmember
2,519 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 21:32 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #38

If anyone here ever goes to the Glamour and Nude section here, look at this guy, HE is an artist, no ifs, ands, or buts... :)

Steverino
Or his SITE (external link), but if you look him up online, there are more shots, AND larger images. It's not about nudes at all, it's about ART.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2013 21:39 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

recrisp wrote in post #15498649 (external link)
If anyone here ever goes to the Glamour and Nude section here, look at this guy, HE is an artist, no ifs, ands, or buts... :)

Steverino
Or his SITE (external link), but if you look him up online, there are more shots, AND larger images. It's not about nudes at all, it's about ART.

Randy

He is certainly a very capable studio portrait photographer specialized in semi-nudity. :) However, they aren't my taste. I am not getting that "big picture" here. I mean, "big theme" and "big concept."

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,811 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2013 21:54 |  #40

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title?

In my opinion, "Photographer" is a much more desirable title than "Artist".
That's probably because I think that pure photography is more interesting and compelling than art, or "photo art".

A Photographer is a great creative who primarily makes their images with a camera and a lens. An artist is usually just someone fooling around with a paint brush or photoshop or something similar :D

To answer your question, I think a photographer can call himself an "artist" when he/she combines his photography with darkroom or printmaking techniques.
Or, in today's world, when he/she combines his photography with computer generated post processing effects like photoshop "filters" and composites, which are so popular nowadays.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 21:59 |  #41

Clean Gene wrote in post #15498643 (external link)
Photography fits the category of "visual art", so any photographer is free to self-apply the title of "artist".

I got no problem with that, but you earlier statement indicated that all photographers are artists.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2013 22:29 |  #42

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title? LOL

How much more insecure can you get? Or are you hitting rock bottom now, hopefully lol If you are uncomfortable with your level of success (or lack of it) then DO something about it. Complaining about what other people are doing with their own lives is unproductive; a waste of time.

NWPhil wrote in post #15496864 (external link)
Other people care, and believe in it because he call himself such ..and they don't know better.

And you have to let other people make their own choices. Again, you're worrying about what other people are doing. You've got self esteem, guilt or resentment issues. Life is too short for this silliness. Take some classes, hire a tutor, talk to a couselor, whatever it takes. Do some actual work on yourself.

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 16, 2013 22:36 |  #43

Wow NWPhil......guess you will learn to keep those thoughts to your self...lol. Dude you got hammered!!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 16, 2013 23:23 |  #44

Heh! Another "Interesting POTN Discussion":)!

I agree that the OP doesn't need to waste energy on an individual who calls him/herself an "artist", and then to waste our energy by ranting about it!

That being said, we've had some very interesting discussions here with some pretty accomplished and insightul photogs about what consitutes a photograph as "art", what criteria?

One or two people will actually go as far to say that most photography is not art. It may be documenting an interesting scene, event, people, but it's more about the craft and vision of that documentation process, but falls short of what at least these folks consider "art".

For my "work", I dunno. I've spent a lot of time shooting what gets called "fine art" photography, although for me it first requires that NATURE be the "artist" for much of my shooting, whether it be a cool landscape scene, a beautiful flower, a macro of a very cool bug...or, maybe I'm looking to catch "scenes" and "character" in my street photography or event photography, waiting for something that meets my criteria as "interesting" or whatever...

It should be said that we've seen some serious disagreements in these discussions, so you might consider them "futile", but I have had my thought processes stirred up numerous times.

I do not at this point consider myself an "artist", maybe never will, but I do seek to open myself up to "creative vision" and I do look for good "subject matter"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2013 23:39 |  #45

gjl711 wrote in post #15498723 (external link)
I got no problem with that, but you earlier statement indicated that all photographers are artists.

I don't think I quite meant to go that far. I think I wouldn't quite say "all photographers are artists". Closer to my thoughts would be for me to say "it's technically valid for pretty much any photographer to be called an artist."

Again...there's work I'd see that I'd opine isn't art. There are people creating such work who I'd opine aren't artists. But...it sort of doesn't matter what my opinion is. If they choose to call themselves artists, then that's fair even if I disagree.

sponsored links

4,751 views & 0 likes for this thread
Artist ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.