Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50 1.4

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2013 18:58 |  #16

I have had mine for nearly a year, bought it used on this forum. I keep the lens hood reversed at all times on this lens. It is on my camera 90% of the time. It never disappoints.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

sponsored links
robert61
236 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 11, 2013 19:15 |  #17

It's a fine lens and quite worthy at its price point. I sold mine when I got a 1.2L, but sometimes miss the dreamy look of its halation and lens flair when shooting outdoors in bright light. Enjoy it while you can, as its successor will surely be a lot more $$$ in Canon's current pricing strategy.

Canon gear, Einstein lights, modifiers

Japers
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2013 15:28 |  #18

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I will definitely have to add a hood soon. I've had the lens for a few days now and I'm loving it so far. Focus is quick and sharp. A wonderful little lens and it balances rather nicely on my 60D. :)

60D + Lenses = Flickr (external link)

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 15, 2013 17:17 as a reply to  @ Japers's post |  #19

It is a good lens for low light. If it doesn't work properly on your camera, Amazon will be good for exchanges.

I always keep the hood on the lens in the normal position. This protects the lens during storage and use. Mine doesn't get heavy use, but has been fine for some time. THe only "problem" with mine is that it overexposes by 1/3 stop. I always remember to set exposure compensation by - 1/3 and all has been fine.

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2013 17:51 |  #20

Japers wrote in post #15492729 (external link)
Thanks again for the advice everyone, I will definitely have to add a hood soon. I've had the lens for a few days now and I'm loving it so far. Focus is quick and sharp. A wonderful little lens and it balances rather nicely on my 60D. :)

Glad to hear that you like it!

Happy Shooting. :D

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2013 19:54 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15473439 (external link)
Refurbing the lens won't fix its flaws... The design internally is the issue.

This is correct as it can develop sticky focus, and has a bad case of axial CA.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,222 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 15, 2013 20:08 |  #22

I bought a refurb copy from Adorama a few years ago and it's been fine. I do use it with a hood, and never store it with the front of the lens extended. Never had an issue on any of my cameras with it.

GEAR LIST

Coffee400
48 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2013 23:46 |  #23

I think you will be very happy with this lens. Its a step up in build quality compared to the 1.8, and focus is more reliable. Its a bit soft wide open, but i dont really use it wide open. Ive had mine a few years and never had any problem with the AF etc (although i do take pretty good care of my gear).

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2013 09:54 |  #24

Josh_30 wrote in post #15493849 (external link)
I bought a refurb copy from Adorama a few years ago and it's been fine.

Delighted to hear it!

Personally, I would never buy new gear if a refurb was available......

Japers
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 17, 2013 10:25 |  #25

Could you expound on that a little Helen? It is because of more rigorous testing during the refurbishing process?

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2013 10:31 |  #26

Japers wrote in post #15500287 (external link)
Could you expound on that a little Helen? It is because of more rigorous testing during the refurbishing process?

Sure; refurbs will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of 'systematic quality control protocol' (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

Refurbs can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if they haven’t passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used. (I have three myself, and for sure they were all factory-fresh!)

Of course, a refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment). But as long as you buy from a reputable retailer with a decent returns period, then if it, say, has too many actuations for your liking you can return it and try another one.

If what you save on buying a refurb means you can also get yourself a warranty that is as long (or longer) than the manufacturer warranty on a new item, then IMO you can't go wrong.

Japers
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 17, 2013 11:40 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #27

I see. The idea of buying refurbished is new to me, so I thank you for such detailed information.

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2013 11:53 |  #28

This is my favorite lens, and due to the concerns and issues other have had I picked up a hood and leave it on at all times. It protects the front when stored.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Zatx
174 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 14:07 |  #29

HelenOster wrote in post #15500309 (external link)
Sure; refurbs will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of 'systematic quality control protocol' (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

Refurbs can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if they haven’t passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used. (I have three myself, and for sure they were all factory-fresh!)

Of course, a refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment). But as long as you buy from a reputable retailer with a decent returns period, then if it, say, has too many actuations for your liking you can return it and try another one.

If what you save on buying a refurb means you can also get yourself a warranty that is as long (or longer) than the manufacturer warranty on a new item, then IMO you can't go wrong.

I think your view of what happens to refurbished products might be a little optimistic. Having worked as a criminal investigator for several large retail chains (and their logistic/distribution systems) I have worked cases in "refurbishment" and "return" centers. The process of refurbishment varies by company and product type but overwhelmingly the refurbishment "process" was a low wage, unskilled worker opening the package, repackaging the product, then the package was sent to whatever distribution process that company used to resell their product. No one else looked at the final product. No one worked on the product. No one gave it a detailed inspection. No one made any attempt to fix any potential problem the product might have had.

Now as to Amazon distribution network, their "refurbishment" doesn't even consist of these minor steps. When they receive a return they just put it right back on their warehouse shelf as new product for the next person that buys that item. I once returned a defective watch, three times. The third time I received the replacement watch it was the very first watch I had sent in the first time. The second watch I received is one that an acquaintance I had from a watch forum had returned.

So, all of that being said, I wouldn't go putting my blind faith in refurbished products.

Current Gear: Canon T4i (gripped), Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon EF 85 1.8, 18-55mm Kit, 55-250mm, Yogo YN-468 Flash, LR 4, Carryspeed Slim, lots of bags.
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15639404#po​st15639404

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2013 15:08 |  #30

Zatx wrote in post #15501149 (external link)
I think your view of what happens to refurbished products might be a little optimistic. Having worked as a criminal investigator for several large retail chains (and their logistic/distribution systems) I have worked cases in "refurbishment" and "return" centers. The process of refurbishment varies by company and product type but overwhelmingly the refurbishment "process" was a low wage, unskilled worker opening the package, repackaging the product, then the package was sent to whatever distribution process that company used to resell their product. No one else looked at the final product. No one worked on the product. No one gave it a detailed inspection. No one made any attempt to fix any potential problem the product might have had.

Now as to Amazon distribution network, their "refurbishment" doesn't even consist of these minor steps. When they receive a return they just put it right back on their warehouse shelf as new product for the next person that buys that item. I once returned a defective watch, three times. The third time I received the replacement watch it was the very first watch I had sent in the first time. The second watch I received is one that an acquaintance I had from a watch forum had returned.

So, all of that being said, I wouldn't go putting my blind faith in refurbished products.

Canon cameras are refurbished at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; the room that houses Canon’s entire refurb process is said to be completely dust-free, and with every employee working in there being required to wear special booties!

sponsored links

4,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.