Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 21:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

School or no school?

ericm678
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 21:01 |  #1

not many of my friends are supportive with me going to school for photography, they say "it's very competitive, it'll be difficult to make money, etc." while those statements may be true, can you put on price on doing something your good at and love doing? i think it'll be a good idea because a degree could seperate me from others in my area, but i am worried, as we discussed numerous times it's not always about the equipment but who's behind the camera. so without going through a whole moral shpeeel of why i like it it's more of is it worth it? i'm in the military so i'm not all that worried about tuition and fees covered etc. they'll take care of most of it, if not 100% on some schools. i know alot of photographers have greatly progressed through their careers with little to no school at all. i'm just confused on what to do...:confused:

--sorry if there was a post about schools already

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist" --Pablo Picasso
Gear: 40D-----85 f/1.8-----40 f/2.8----- 20 f/2.8
Wishlist: 6D

sponsored links
awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 17, 2013 21:33 |  #2

i have a bachelors in photography. here's my advice: go to business or marketing school instead.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 17, 2013 21:36 |  #3

+ 1 for awad post +1
Looks like you are the right track... in the military, GI Bill, Vet, etc...with this school will it provide a degree that you can fall back on? does it have job placement when you get out?
Have a plan 'B'
Photographers and computer Geeks= people go to computer school to learn computers, some people are just born with it...
stay on the right track,
Joe
(also a VET)

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2013 21:38 |  #4

awad wrote in post #15502839 (external link)
i have a bachelors in photography. here's my advice: go to business or marketing school instead.

Totally agree, and I'm no "pro". It's all about business and marketing if you want to be a full-time photographer.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,284 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 17, 2013 21:47 as a reply to  @ Joe300's post |  #5

Went to college on the GI bill. B/A photography and have worked in photography full time for over 25 years. Had a job with one of the top shooters in the area the day I finished my classes. I learned more about how to run a successful photography business in just a few months working than I did with all of my business and marketing classes put together. Those classes prepare you to work for IBM but do little to help in the real world of professional photography. I think some basic classes are helpful but learn all you can about the craft. Hire people to help you in the areas you are weak in. You can't do it all well and the more creative you are the less likely you will be good at the left brained stuff. Every single successful photographer I know has people help run the biz and that leaves them to what they love and do best. And they all have great accountants. Most that have studios, have studio managers. Reps to help market and accountants to help them with the money. I mean a chef opens a restaurant they usually either partner with someone to run the front of the restaurant or the hire people to do that. I've seen'm come and go over the years. I would guess 80% have failed and the ones I have seen fail are usually the ones that try and do it all. You can't be good at everything so be really good at what you really love. ;)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2013 21:49 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #6

If you decide to go to school the business route, remember to take as many art related courses as you can.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

ericm678
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 21:59 |  #7

Hikin Mike wrote in post #15502871 (external link)
Totally agree, and I'm no "pro". It's all about business and marketing if you want to be a full-time photographer.

i'm on a local college's website now, so more specifically a business management course? because according to their "career potentials" they include: self employment, corporate and sales management. i think self employment applies to photography and/or running/starting a photography business.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist" --Pablo Picasso

ericm678
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 22:00 |  #8

pbelarge wrote in post #15502929 (external link)
If you decide to go to school the business route, remember to take as many art related courses as you can.

agreed, i don't want to be tied up in numbers and accounting finances when i need creativity the most.

ericm678
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 22:02 |  #9

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15502923 (external link)
Went to college on the GI bill. B/A photography and have worked in photography full time for over 25 years. Had a job with one of the top shooters in the area the day I finished my classes. I learned more about how to run a successful photography business in just a few months working than I did with all of my business and marketing classes put together. Those classes prepare you to work for IBM but do little to help in the real world of professional photography. I think some basic classes are helpful but learn all you can about the craft. Hire people to help you in the areas you are weak in. You can't do it all well and the more creative you are the less likely you will be good at the left brained stuff. Every single successful photographer I know has people help run the biz and that leaves them to what they love and do best. And they all have great accountants. Most that have studios, have studio managers. Reps to help market and accountants to help them with the money. I mean a chef opens a restaurant they usually either partner with someone to run the front of the restaurant or the hire people to do that. I've seen'm come and go over the years. I would guess 80% have failed and the ones I have seen fail are usually the ones that try and do it all. You can't be good at everything so be really good at what you really love. ;)

there's a school that's "somewhat" nearby about a good 2 hour drive, that specializes in photography but they also take classes on business and marketing later in the program. thanks for the story and input :D

ericm678
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 22:07 |  #10

Joe300 wrote in post #15502855 (external link)
+ 1 for awad post +1
Looks like you are the right track... in the military, GI Bill, Vet, etc...with this school will it provide a BS degree that you can fall back on? does it have job placement when you get out?
Have a plan 'B'
Photographers and computer Geeks= people go to computer school to learn computers, some people are just born with it...
stay on the right track,
Joe
(also a VET)

Thanks joe, i like working on cars alot so i can possibly pick up some "grease monkey" job in a local shop. but that'd be a last resort, not that i don't want to do it, just not the direction i wanted to go in. also agree on having a plan b, some other skill or knowledge can land me somewhere so i don't have to be "stuck" so to speak.

Hikin ­ Mike
6,352 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2013 22:13 |  #11

ericm678 wrote in post #15502981 (external link)
i'm on a local college's website now, so more specifically a business management course? because according to their "career potentials" they include: self employment, corporate and sales management. i think self employment applies to photography and/or running/starting a photography business.

I would say so. Photography is only a small portion if you want to have your own photography business. It's more about marketing and "business" than photography.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,284 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 17, 2013 22:17 |  #12

Hikin Mike wrote in post #15503026 (external link)
I would say so. Photography is only a small portion if you want to have your own photography business. It's more about marketing and "business" than photography.

And if you are really smart you leave that to the experts that do it all day every day. ;) Because you just can't be good at it all.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 17, 2013 22:19 |  #13

ericm678 wrote in post #15503004 (external link)
also agree on having a plan b, some other skill or knowledge can land me somewhere so i don't have to be "stuck" so to speak.

As a full time commercial/advertising photographer since 1984 I can tell you one thing. Being stuck in a cubicle for that amount of time would have killed me for sure. If you really have the drive and desire to go into full time photography then find the best photography school you can that also will give you an art education. You can hire people to do the boring BS stuff. You can't hire anyone to do the photography side.

Trying to be a one man band relying on a business education will probably put you squarely in the middle of a cubicle.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

ericm678
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2013 22:27 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #14

well spoken, hit the nail on the head there. so in short i can be a "jack of all trades" and be kinda miserable but still take good photos, or "Master of one" and love it, while capturing breathtaking photos.

Hikin ­ Mike
6,352 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2013 22:35 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15503039 (external link)
And if you are really smart you leave that to the experts that do it all day every day. ;) Because you just can't be good at it all.

True, unless you are. I'm not. :lol:

sponsored links

10,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
School or no school?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.