Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Jan 2013 (Monday) 07:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever feel you're going backwards?

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2013 19:17 |  #16

Paulstw wrote in post #15488248 (external link)
...I shall endeavour to look out for less boring stuff...

That's the trick though...taking the boring stuff and making it look less boring.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
shunsai
42 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 14, 2013 19:21 |  #17

I'm a big believe in '2 steps forward and 1 step back' still qualifying as progress. In photography, I think it can feel that way a lot sometimes. Sometimes I think we shoot something and because we're not instantly wow'ed by it, we're disappointed. But I think sometimes when we take a step back, wait a couple days, weeks, months, then go back to those pictures, we tend to find that we actually DID capture some great shots... even if it was just two or three keepers out of 100 'meh' photos.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon M3 | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L III | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 80-200mm f/2.8L | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 | Alien Green, Mello Yello, & Deep Space Black B800 | Canon 580EX | Cactus v4 | Vagabond II & Mini Lithium | flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 15, 2013 10:57 |  #18

Paul,

It seems, from reading your post, that landscape & outdoor photography is your passion. I recently watched a wonderful video about landscape photography. It was a video of Michael Melford discussing the basics of nature photography. Michael is a wonderful photographer who works for National Geographic.

I suggest you watch the video, not so that you can see his images and think, "I want to take images like that", or, "why can't I take images like that". Instead of focusing on his images, and feeling jealous or hopeless, one should focus on the way he goes about photographing nature. The way he approaches it seems to be very relaxed and rational. He is a mild-mannered guy, and that seems to come thru in the way he approaches a shoot. Yet his imagery is truly excellent.

Perhaps the video would help you to take some of the pressure off, so to speak. And you'll definitely learn how to deal with cloudy, grey conditions and seemingly uninteresting subject matter - and still come away with some very worthwhile imagery.

One of he first things he says is, "don't get bogged down with the technical, and pay more attention to seeing. Hopefully I can inspire you with some of the seeing part". That seems to be just what you could use!

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=MJB4S2AAPTU (external link)

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Paulstw
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 16, 2013 08:29 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #19

Thanks Tom, takes a lot to write that much and I appreciate it :)
i'll watch the video - Paul

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 17, 2013 11:34 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #20

Great thread, I hadn't seen Jays work, and its amazing how simple it "appears" the images are. I also prefer landscape and wildlife, and would not even think of shooting images of people..
I have seen some great images of Scotland, its a truly breathtaking place, and I'm quite proud to have a little of it in me as well.
Simplicity though is a great place to begin. I remember trying to squeeze as much into an image as I could, only to find too much going on and no focus. Funny we always try and get a sharp images, but yet the subject eludes us totally.
You also mention going backwards, which in a way can be a good thing, just not in the same way.
If your walking a certain direction, turn around and literally go "backwards", look from another direction, because the light might just change everything of the same subject.
I hit this wall all the time.

Bruce

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2013 11:53 |  #21

breal101 wrote in post #15486446 (external link)
What I most admire about Jay is his ability to make beautiful images from nothing.

Paulstw wrote in post #15486474 (external link)
His images are amazing. Food for thought, and I love the quote :)

Bsmooth wrote in post #15500536 (external link)
Great thread, I hadn't seen Jays work, and its amazing how simple it "appears" the images are.

Ok, the curiosity is killing me . . . WHO THE HECK IS "JAY"?

I found the (above quoted) three comments on this thread, all praising some guy named Jay. But I didn't remember any post in this thread in which someone originally told us about Jay, with a link to his work. So, I re-read the entire thread, trying to see where he was first mentioned . . . and I couldn't find it. It's as though everyone here on this thread just somehow already knows about some guy named Jay and his images. Well, I've never heard of him.

Since there has been such high praise for his work, I am curious, and want to take a look at it myself. So, who is he, and where can I go to see his online portfolio? Also, how did any of the three people who mentioned him know about him in the first place?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 17, 2013 14:02 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #22

Tom I had a tuff time finding that out as well, because I wanted to see too.
This was in the 5th entry into the thread, at the bottom:
"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel
This is one website of his popular images: http://www.jaymaisel.c​om/recent-work/ (external link)
Its very simple, but it does one thing very well, it focuses your attention.

Bruce

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 17, 2013 22:45 |  #23

Yes. You are going backwards. But you'll get going forward again soon. Here is a handy chart to tell where you are and where you are going. http://enticingtheligh​t.com …ges-of-a-Photographer.png (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2013 01:56 |  #24

Paulstw wrote in post #15486208 (external link)
The general consensus suggests that if you're not getting the right results, then change a lens, a body or your subject matter. I don't earn a lot so changing lenses and bodies isn't an option. Changing scenery would be ok, if Scotland wasn't so grey all the time.

Those are all nice ideas, but you're omitting something. In addition to making those changes, there's also the option of changing yourself.

It's like...I get it. It's like when I'm stuck in a rut and everything sucks, and I feel like everything would get better if I just got the hell out of my POS town. It's a romantic idea, a hugely compelling one. I love the idea, I get it all the time. It's a fantastic notion, the idea of going on an adventure in a new land and prospering for it. It's like something straight out of the movies.

It's also mostly BS. Other people seem to be doing quite well in my POS town, so what's MY problem? Sure, it's a compelling idea that it's my surroundings that are holding me back. But realistically, wherever I go, I'd still be me. And if being me isn't working here, why would it work anywhere else?

Similarly, it's a very compelling notion that I'm not getting good resulkts because I don't have the right gear or I don't live near the right scenery. But that's also a little bit BS. Other people get FAR better results than me with gear that's just as crappy (or much worse) than mine. Other people live in slums and manage to get better images than me. So I can't blame it on the gear, can I? I can't blame it on the scenery, can I? If people get great images with garbage gear, then how can I blame my crappy gear on my failure to make good photographs? If people living in desolate ugly wastelands aren't held back by a lack of good scenery, then what's MY excuse?

That's not to say that gear and scenery doesn't matter. Of course it matters. But it's not an excuse.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 18, 2013 09:02 |  #25

Bsmooth wrote in post #15501131 (external link)
Tom I had a tuff time finding that out as well, because I wanted to see too.
This was in the 5th entry into the thread, at the bottom:
This is one website of his popular images: http://www.jaymaisel.c​om/recent-work/ (external link)
Its very simple, but it does one thing very well, it focuses your attention.

Thanks for posting the link. I hadn't seen some of his more recent work. I first became aware of Jay in the early seventies when he came to speak at the local Ad Club. His work in industrial plants was inspirational to me because most of what I was shooting at the time was industrial. Shipyards, oil rigs, refineries and the like are usually dirty and depressing. He was able to go to these places and come up with images for Annual reports that were amazing.

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 18, 2013 11:29 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #26

We talk about taking a break and looking over images, that we had taken before, culling out the 2 or 3 from 100 so-so shots.
My problem is I expect more, I expect every shot to be good, thats why I spend all the time setting it up. A friend has a completly different strategy, she just shoots giant amounts of images.
Just as an example, I may shoot 20 images of an area, she may shoot 100 - 150. I'm not sure which is the "right" way, but she does seem to get more keepers.

Bruce

sponsored links

2,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ever feel you're going backwards?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.