Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 18:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

prints Shuterfly vs Smugmug Pro

Frugaltravelguy
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2013 18:57 |  #1

I plan to print my first 20x30 print to hang up on my wall behind a nice wooden frame. Now from everyone's experience where did you get your print from? Smugmug vs Shutterfly vs others. Smugmug offers what they call Lustre finish. Anyone had that done before? I plan to have the image behind glass so whats the best finish? Thanks

For Sale: B+W 67mm UV Haze Slim MRC 010M Filter
Travel Camera system (external link) I The Frugal Traveler's Guide (external link)

sponsored links
jerryclark
63 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 17, 2013 23:16 |  #2

Try Adorama you want be disappointed.

bizzle23
212 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 18, 2013 01:35 |  #3

I love Adorama prints.

1DXMKII | 5DMKIII | 7DMKII | 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L | SIGMA 50 1.4 ART | SIGMA 15 2.8 FISHEYE | (3) 600EX- RT | 055CXPRO4 + 498RC2
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 18, 2013 02:42 as a reply to  @ bizzle23's post |  #4

+1 for Adorama. They do awesome work.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

aparis99
269 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 18, 2013 07:33 |  #5

MPIX, a consumer wing of Miller Labs, has better quality prints IMO than Adorama. I have used both. I recently found ProDPI which CAN be used by any photographers. Prices are good, quality is awesome per many reviews... When you sign up, they send you a sample book with the different papers etc.

My Site - www.apimagery.com (external link)
Canon 5DmkIV (x2), Canon 16-35 f/4LIS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8LII, Canon 24-70 f/2.8LII, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8L, Canon 100-400LII, 2x Extender III, 580exII, Think Tank Retro 30 and 40

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2013 10:23 as a reply to  @ aparis99's post |  #6

Also Costco if your a member great prices. Shutterfly is just step above Walgreens if you ask me. I have used them for photo books before. They sent me a code for 100 free 4x6's so ordered them for $3 shipping to see how they looked. Well if they use the same printer for larger I would not be happy.

Frugaltravelguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 18, 2013 10:41 |  #7

thanks, I may try Adorama sometime. I just placed my order through smugmug and as I am a Portfolio user was hoping I could select Bay photo, but it went through the standard EZ prints instead, just missed setting it up correctly.
Hope my image does not come out too dark. I had 8x10's from Walmart and they were REAL light. But its my first BIG print. Here is the image, crossing my fingers it comes out good from EZ print.

obviously this one is resized, smugmug has my original to be printed.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Travel Camera system (external link) I The Frugal Traveler's Guide (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 18, 2013 10:52 |  #8

Keep in mind smugmug is not a print lab they are a hosting and sales provider. Depending on your settings prints are sent to a dedicated print shop. I know Bay Area photo does their pro level stuff and I believe ezphoto is the default for non pro users.

Bay Area photo is very well regarded I have never orders prints from ezphoto so I can not speak to their quality.

I used shutterfly a few years ago and the photos were okay but not great. I found my photopipe and mpix to be much better with mpix being the best off the three imo.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2013 14:02 |  #9

Frugaltravelguy wrote in post #15504761 (external link)
thanks, I may try Adorama sometime. I just placed my order through smugmug and as I am a Portfolio user was hoping I could select Bay photo, but it went through the standard EZ prints instead, just missed setting it up correctly.
Hope my image does not come out too dark. I had 8x10's from Walmart and they were REAL light. But its my first BIG print. Here is the image, crossing my fingers it comes out good from EZ print.

obviously this one is resized, smugmug has my original to be printed.

Your image is quite dark (underexposed). If the Walmart print came out light then that means they applied "autocorrection", which is not something you can control and is best turned off.

What you really need to do before printing is first to crank down the brightness of your screen so that it matches a reliable print, but Walmart is obviously not your choice. Costco or Adorama are good choices. You want to do some test prints and specify to your print provider that you don't want any "autocorrection". When you get the prints back you can compare them to your monitor display. Make sure the monitor brightness matches the prints (view the prints in good light).

The next question will be colors. For this, if they are not decent, you need to wade into color calibration and color "management". Look at the "Sticky" threads at the top of this page and you will see a couple valuable threads on "Color Management" and "Color Problems".

Take some time to read up on this stuff and then post back with some specific questions. In the meantime, I would not try for important prints with reliable results!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2013 21:28 |  #10

EZPrints are an excellent lab. I've been very happy with them.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2013 21:51 |  #11

The image you posted is extremely dark and will print that way unless you are allowing auto-corrections. If this image looks good to you then as Tony mentioned, your monitor brightness is set too high.

Before sending anything else to print I really recommend that you do the following:

1. Calibrate your monitor using a good device like a Spyder4Pro
2. Turn down your monitor brightness to about 25% of whatever the manufacturer had it set from the factory. My Dell eIPS monitor is set at around 15%
3. In Smugmug under Tools -> Account Settings -> Me -> Account, set Color Correction to OFF.
4. Edit about a half dozen images so they look perfect on the above set-up then send them in to EZPrints.
5. After you receive your prints study them. If they are dark then turn your monitor brightness a bit more ... Or the opposite if they are too light.

Bob

Frugaltravelguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 21, 2013 16:26 |  #12

thanks. how does this look? the sky looks kinda dull to me, but dont know how to adjust it in LR to make it more "interesting" any ideas? thanks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Bob_A wrote in post #15506990 (external link)
The image you posted is extremely dark and will print that way unless you are allowing auto-corrections. If this image looks good to you then as Tony mentioned, your monitor brightness is set too high.

Before sending anything else to print I really recommend that you do the following:

1. Calibrate your monitor using a good device like a Spyder4Pro
2. Turn down your monitor brightness to about 25% of whatever the manufacturer had it set from the factory. My Dell eIPS monitor is set at around 15%
3. In Smugmug under Tools -> Account Settings -> Me -> Account, set Color Correction to OFF.
4. Edit about a half dozen images so they look perfect on the above set-up then send them in to EZPrints.
5. After you receive your prints study them. If they are dark then turn your monitor brightness a bit more ... Or the opposite if they are too light.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 21, 2013 20:55 |  #13

It's a completely different exposure compared to the first one you posted. This one doesn't look under-exposed but maybe you could try adding a bit more contrast or Clarity. Looks like a beautiful location.

I also struggle with what to do with dull skies. Maybe use the Gradient tool to reduce the Exposure and Highlights of the sky a bit to see if you can bring in a bit of texture from any clouds that may be there. Don't push it too far though or it'll look unnatural :)

Bob

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 23, 2013 05:47 |  #14

WHCC.

quick turnaround, fantastic prints, free shipping. becoming a client can be a pain if you only want one print becuase you need to send them sample images they print and send back you you to make sure you monitor is calibrated to their printers.

plus they give you a free lollipop with each order.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 23, 2013 05:48 |  #15

Frugaltravelguy wrote in post #15516931 (external link)
thanks. how does this look? the sky looks kinda dull to me, but dont know how to adjust it in LR to make it more "interesting" any ideas? thanks.

desaturate it with the brush, its too blue.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links

3,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
prints Shuterfly vs Smugmug Pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.