Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to the 6D?

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2013 23:25 |  #31

stugman wrote in post #15501545 (external link)
Interesting review link provided by Alex_MK3 in another thread:

http://www.slrlounge.c​om …-highest-quality-dslr-yet (external link)

Excellent review---thanks for posting.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

sponsored links
mentalcase
120 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 17, 2013 23:25 |  #32

I'd definitely take a look at the 60D or 7d if I was you. I just upgraded from the t1i to the 60d and I'm loving it so far. ISO 3200 is extremely usable with little correction, but ISO 6400 is pushing the limits of the sensor. The feature I like most about the 60d is the articulating LCD. You have no idea how handy it is to have when you want to take weird perspective shots.

I went with the 60d over the 7d for one reason. Price. I'm a focus and reframe guy and use center point focus 90% of the time. Considering the image quality is pretty much equal between the two, paying a couple hundred more for the 7d was not worth it.

You can't go wrong with any of the bodies, but I'd still recommend saving some money and putting it towards glass.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 18, 2013 03:15 |  #33

I have a T2i and I'm looking to upgrade for basically the same reasons. I think people saying the 18MP sensor is capable of great images in high ISO's are exaggerating. I can get away with using ISO 3200 sometimes, but there's usually a huge amount of color noise and banding in the shadows. I shoot fairly comfortably at ISO 800, but I hesitate to go higher then that, though 1600 is usually decent enough.

The 6D really isn't that expensive, just keep saving for a couple more months if you have to, that's what I'm doing. And call me crazy, but I actually want the 6D over the 5Dmk3... my friend has a mk3 and I got to shoot with it quite a bit, it's way too complicated for me, the 6D that I played with at Best Buy felt much more natural to use, the button layout being on the right side alone makes it a winner to me!

I'm also with the people who said you should hold onto your XS though, it's always good to have a secondary camera ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Chosenbydestiny
I somehow feel enlightened now
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 18, 2013 03:53 |  #34

In discussion with other people who shoot on both of my teams as well as other event teams out here, we have come to the conclusion that the 6D is a camera that exceeds our expectations, and the Nikon D600 is not living up to the hype in addition to the fact it has more issues upon release. Not saying that the D600 is a bad camera, but I'm very much certain that anyone who buys one of these cameras will be at least somewhat happy regardless of the specs. If you have the money to afford a 5D mark III, it's really just common sense to go for it over the 6D.

- Ryan, photographer/videograp​her
Bodies: Canon 1D mark III, 5D Mark III, 5D classic, 6D, 7D, and 60D. Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 135 f/2L USM, some L zooms, lots of lighting equipment and video support systems Facebook (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 18, 2013 10:09 |  #35

I took a look at your Flickr pages. You shoot an awful lot of wildlife especially birds. The 3 golden rules in wildlife shooting are reach reach reach. That 200mm will severely limit those bird pics you take, they will be dots in the frame and to combat that you will need to crop.
Cropping will lose you lots of pixels on those targets. If I was you I would upgrade to a 7d and a 400mm f5.6 to compliment the 70-200 you have. The 8 fps will get you more keepers, that's a fact !!! If you started a "6D v 7D" thread for wildlife shooting you would get a completely different response to what your getting here..........

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 18, 2013 10:14 |  #36

h14nha wrote in post #15504652 (external link)
I took a look at your Flickr pages. You shoot an awful lot of wildlife especially birds. The 3 golden rules in wildlife shooting are reach reach reach. That 200mm will severely limit those bird pics you take, they will be dots in the frame and to combat that you will need to crop.
Cropping will lose you lots of pixels on those targets. If I was you I would upgrade to a 7d and a 400mm f5.6 to compliment the 70-200 you have. The 8 fps will get you more keepers, that's a fact !!! If you started a "6D v 7D" thread for wildlife shooting you would get a completely different response to what your getting here..........

I used to do that a lot, but over the past year or so I've found myself in locations where taking pictures of birds isn't really possible. My shooting has been mainly landscapes and tourist stuff. I haven't posted anything to Flickr in almost a year. If I wanted to go the wildlife direction I wouldn't be having this conversation and I'd already have a 7D.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2013 15:56 |  #37

mentalcase wrote in post #15503282 (external link)
I'd definitely take a look at the 60D or 7d if I was you. I just upgraded from the t1i to the 60d and I'm loving it so far. ISO 3200 is extremely usable with little correction, but ISO 6400 is pushing the limits of the sensor.

I've gotten some very nice shots with ISO 6400. The noise is noticeable for sure, but even without correction I think they still look decent, certainly usable.

60D with the 50 1.8
ISO 6400 at f/1.8

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5219/5417169023_0a22af82db_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ejackso1/541716​9023/  (external link)
IMG_1396 (external link) by ejackso1 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to the 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.