Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Revolverz
223 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2013 05:25 |  #1996

RMH wrote in post #15507675 (external link)
Interesting...

Here's F1.4 at a couple of hundred feet. The buildings are way OOF. The trees actually look in focus, and they're about half way between camera and building, so it's front focusing by a very, very long way at longer distances.

I'd never use it like this, so this isn't actually going to affect me in my photography, but I guess the AF on this lens does indeed have issues...

QUOTED IMAGE

That was with single (centre) AF point, so it's not locked onto the trees as the closer subject with a different point, and it does this consistently.

thanks a lot for the sample. so this lens really has a problem with focusing at longer distances.
I wonder if there`s any focusing problem when framing group shots.. :/ That would be one of the things I`d be using it for

Website: www.cristian-popa.com (external link) ___Facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/cristian.popa.art (external link)

sponsored links
RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 05:28 |  #1997

Yeah, I need to go test this at around 15-20 feet now as it will see some use there.

Mostly it'll be used for indoor portraits in tight-ish spaces tho.

It's still a keeper for me, but i need to know at what distance i need to start stopping it down to compensate....

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Revolverz
223 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2013 05:31 |  #1998

RMH wrote in post #15507680 (external link)
Yeah, I need to go test this at around 15-20 feet now as it will see some use there.

Mostly it'll be used for indoor portraits in tight-ish spaces tho.

It's still a keeper for me, but i need to know at what distance i need to start stopping it down to compensate....

true, if the focus is consistent below a certain distance, it would be a keeper for me also.
landscapes must be > f8 anyways.

Website: www.cristian-popa.com (external link) ___Facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/cristian.popa.art (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 05:33 |  #1999

ok, give me 5 mins, and i'll report back on that :)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 05:45 |  #2000

ok, these are at about 22, 16 and 10 feet (fence posts are about 6 feet apart and i focused on 3 different ones)

IMAGE: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8261/captureips.jpg

seems fine at 22 feet, which is fine for a v wide environmental port / large group shot, esp with camera landscape:

IMAGE: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9165/capturehk.jpg

Revolverz
223 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2013 05:53 |  #2001

RMH wrote in post #15507697 (external link)
ok, these are at about 22, 16 and 10 feet (fence posts are about 6 feet apart and i focused on 3 different ones)

QUOTED IMAGE

seems fine at 22 feet, which is fine for a v wide environmental port / large group shot, esp with camera landscape:

QUOTED IMAGE

thanks a lot for your effort. much appreciated.
sharpness seems fine to me for that distance.

I`ll go for a test in my local photography gear shop as soon as it comes in stock.

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 06:06 |  #2002

No probs, glad you asked me to do it - it's good to know...

It's a stunning lens for what i'm using it for, ie portraits and maybe the odd landscape on a tripod.

People also wanting to shoot wide open landscapes (eg in low light handheld cityscape perhaps) probably won't be so happy

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 19, 2013 07:34 as a reply to  @ RMH's post |  #2003

Its the Sigma 85 1.4 all over again. :rolleyes:

Why is it that Sigma can't fix their focal distance issues? I've never had this kind of problem with Canon or Nikon lenses. Sure, I had to MFA many of them, but the results were the same on all distances.

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 07:46 |  #2004

and the 50 1.4 which varies with distance and aperture...

Sigma really needs to rethink how the design, program, or calibrate their lenses (again)

It seems extraordinary that after all this time, and this much negative feedback and press, they still can't get it right...

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 19, 2013 08:07 |  #2005

RMH wrote in post #15507675 (external link)
Interesting...

Here's F1.4 at a couple of hundred feet. The buildings are way OOF. The trees actually look in focus, and they're about half way between camera and building, so it's front focusing by a very, very long way at longer distances.

I'd never use it like this, so this isn't actually going to affect me in my photography, but I guess the AF on this lens does indeed have issues...

QUOTED IMAGE

That was with single (centre) AF point, so it's not locked onto the trees as the closer subject with a different point, and it does this somewhat consistently - took 6, the buildings are almost in focus in 2 of them, but even those don't look quite nailed.

Is this a crop?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 19, 2013 08:11 |  #2006
bannedPermanent ban

Day 3 with my lens and mine is front focusing pretty badly too.

I currently have +6 dialed in. At close distance it seems to do the trick, further away it'll ff...:(

Here's an example, this is cropped so I wasn't as close as the photo looks. You can clearly see the little black and white bow on her tee being sharp.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Front focusing example (external link) by Kinson C | Photography (external link), on Flickr

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 09:53 |  #2007

Sirrith wrote in post #15507873 (external link)
Is this a crop?

yep

little ­ johny
377 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 19, 2013 10:28 |  #2008

If you take a picture on a target 100 feet away with a 35mm prime, you can't really expect the outcome would be just as sharp as a picture taken with a 70-200, right ?

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2013 10:47 |  #2009

I called one of the local stores where i plan to buy gear from nowadays, and asked about this lens, they told me it costs around $430, should i go for it? Is this lens same quality or better than the Canon one as i heard?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 19, 2013 11:01 |  #2010

Tareq wrote in post #15508279 (external link)
I called one of the local stores where i plan to buy gear from nowadays, and asked about this lens, they told me it costs around $430, should i go for it? Is this lens same quality or better than the Canon one as i heard?

sounds like thats the sigma 30 not the new sigma 35. the sigma 30mm is for crop cameras only.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

685,911 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.