Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happened to this picture?

D ­ 550D
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 19, 2013 11:14 |  #1

IMAGE: http://i46.tinypic.com/nld5yb.jpg
1/1000th
f3.5
200 ISO

This is a straight out of SD card (only converted to jpeg and resized).
No post processing has been done.
I shot this with 550d + Sigma 70-200 OS with a Hoya UV filter attached.
That's the only photo in a batch of 200 that has such abnormalities.

What could cause this?

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

sponsored links
sophie's-mom
311 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 19, 2013 11:25 |  #2

That is really odd. I'm not sure what caused this but...have you formatted your card since? It could be a problem with the card. Do you have the photo before and after this shot?

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 19, 2013 11:30 as a reply to  @ sophie's-mom's post |  #3

Card read or write error most probably.
If you downloaded straight off the camera try using a card reader and vice versa; sometimes only happens with one form of downloading and not the other.
A format of the card in a card reader, followed by an in-camera format, should clear things up.
Just deleting all images from the card is not the same as a format and doesn't clear the filesystem.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 19, 2013 11:31 as a reply to  @ sophie's-mom's post |  #4

If you mean the two twigs that appear to rise from nothing, are you sure the lower part wasn't simply cloaked in snow?

My first thought was also a corrupt card, but the edge isn't straight, there is a slight curve and lumpiness to the edge of the white where the twigs appear. It looks more like snow on the hedge to me.

The fact that another branch also crosses the "break", between the two anomalies, also suggests that section isn't simply a block moved by a corrupt card.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 19, 2013 11:31 |  #5

Stuff happens. :D

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 19, 2013 11:35 |  #6

awesomeshots wrote in post #15508418 (external link)
Stuff happens. :D

This is, of course, true.

However, it usually happens for a reason, and the OP is interested in what that reason may be. "Stuff happens" is not a reason for what happened.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 19, 2013 11:41 |  #7

sandpiper wrote in post #15508430 (external link)
This is, of course, true.

However, it usually happens for a reason, and the OP is interested in what that reason may be. "Stuff happens" is not a reason for what happened.

If this image is the only one out of 200 I wouldn't worry about it. My suggestion is keep shooting and this happens again then worry about it. But I wouldn't panic so soon. Keep shooting op and keep us posted. Lets see if it happens again.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

PHughes
355 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 19, 2013 11:43 |  #8

You took a picture during the moment they corrected time by adding a leap second. :D

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,537 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 19, 2013 11:56 |  #9

It's branches and snow, in front and behind the focal plane. There are no abnormalities.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2013 12:06 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #10

^^this...

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

jonrmoore
400 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 19, 2013 12:11 |  #11

I'm not sure that's snow we're looking at. It looks more like the sky and trees. Just a glitch.

http://jontakesphotos.​com (external link)
Flickr (external link) - 6D, 5D, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 135 f2.8, Helios 44-2

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 12:12 |  #12

It looks fine to me as well. Was that close to the ground? It just looks like branches sticking out of the snow and I don't see anything weird about it.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2013 12:16 as a reply to  @ jonrmoore's post |  #13

look behind the larger branch on the right - an additional snow line - no glitch, just snow...makes for an interesting perspective though...

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 19, 2013 12:17 |  #14

I think this isn't quite as simple as snow in front of and behind the focus plane (being pedantic, the focal plane is where the sensor is located). The effect is in two cloud shaped areas across the bottom of the image that like water marks would have on a badly dried print in film days.

Condensation on the filter or sensor? Shot through a window maybe with reflection of cloud?

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 12:20 |  #15

What part of the bottom? It's optical compression. It looks like it's right "in front of the lens" but it's snow behind branches. There's one branch, blurred, in front of a bit of snow, then there's the snow, then it goes on and it's weird because it looks like it's cut off, but it's the same branch. Bottom right.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
What happened to this picture?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.