Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What crop sensor camera for video?

akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2013 22:58 |  #16

There shouldn't be any additional workflow issues if you shoot .mov files. If you shoot AVCHD then you'd have to transcode the .mts files I think.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent to John Hope's old Cinema profile. I normally set the GH3 fairly flat and grade in post. The problem I had wasn't with the look of the Canon files except for how it dealt with highlights. I do a lot of outdoor weddings and I got tired of Wedding dresses blowing out. I've tried the old Cinema profile as well as his new Lightform profiles, ProLost, and VisionColor and VisionTech profiles and none of them gave me a great looking file in contrasty situations. I've shot the GH3 in conditions that I KNOW would've been problematic with my 5D3 or 5D2 but the GH3 performed excellently.

Dynamic range isn't the only determining factor in why I think this camera is so good. I've had plenty of experience with Canon cameras. I've owned the 5D3, 5D2, 60D and T2i and none of them gave me the quality image that the GH3 does. The thing that I love with the 5Ds is the look of the full frame sensor. Now that Metabones is going to release a M4/3 adapter that brings the full frame look to that small sensor it basically removes the main reason why I would stick with my Canon bodies. I get better quality and more speed out of my already excellent Canon L glass. The GH3 is also less than half the price of the 5D3.

Seems like you might be best off borrowing or renting a GH3 and seeing if you can dial in the profile to intercut with the Cinema profile on your Canons. I'm a bit hesitant with some of the higher bitrate GH2 hacks as they aren't quite as stable. As a wedding filmmaker I can't have cameras crashing on me in the midst of a wedding. One option is the FilmConvert app. You could use it to grade your GH2 footage and Canon footage to a similar film stock profile.

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 15 fish | 35L | 50L | 50 macro | 85L | 100L macro | 135L | 17-40L | 24-70L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 1.4x | 3x 580EX | 550EX | 2x 540EZ

sponsored links
akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2013 23:07 |  #17

Brian_R wrote in post #15494136 (external link)
dynamic range while a wonderful thing is not very important for all jobs. i personally would take slightly better latitude over the dynamic range we see in some of these DSLR cameras. being able to bring back the highlights or shadows from a really wide range scene is more important to me than dynamic range. granted most affordable digital video cameras do not have a lot of latitude

Dynamic range is very important for what I shoot, weddings. The OP also shoots weddings. Once you get blown highlights on your Canon footage, good luck getting that back. If we were talking stills then yes, latitude plays a big part. I wouldn't ever consider using my GH3 over my 5D3 for a stills shoot but this isn't shooting RAW stills. So yes, dynamic range is important. You can dig into the shadows of a GH3 file pretty well. My Canon files didn't fare so well in post.

"Most affordable digital video cameras do not have a lot of latitude". THAT is why I like the GH3, because it does have a lot of latitude as well as sharpness, good codec, great frame rate options, very good handling and button layout, affordable bodies and lenses, etc. All of this in a $1300. body. Good luck finding anything remotely close other than a BMCC or a C100.

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 15 fish | 35L | 50L | 50 macro | 85L | 100L macro | 135L | 17-40L | 24-70L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 1.4x | 3x 580EX | 550EX | 2x 540EZ

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 19, 2013 12:57 |  #18

Get the 7D! The best Crop sensor DSLR for cinema!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 19, 2013 22:38 |  #19

oharing wrote in post #15508697 (external link)
Get the 7D! The best Crop sensor DSLR for cinema!

That is debatable.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 19, 2013 22:53 |  #20

T4i.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 19, 2013 23:46 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #21

I've decided to move forward with a used GH2 and the kipton EF-M4/3 adapter. If everything goes well, I'll probably upgrade to the GH3 and a native 4/3 mount prime lens.

Now I just need to research all the necessary hacks (increasing bit rate, etc). Anyone know of some good sources to read up on all the available hacks?

akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 20, 2013 00:13 |  #22

http://www.personal-view.com …egories/hack-top-settings (external link)

It's a lot to sift through. I'd be interested to hear which hack you decide upon though as I'm considering doing the same thing. I'll most likely pick up another GH3 but might pick up a pair of GH2s to use for different angles running during a wedding ceremony. I'm looking at a very stable hack that will up the quality and bitrate but probably not 176 Mbps or anything like that.

The Kipon adapter is an interesting little adapter. Let me know how you like it. I'm going to wait for the Metabones speed booster myself. That way I can utilize my EF glass and get better quality and more speed. A good native prime would be the Voightlander 25mm f/0.95. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is good if you want AF and a longer reach.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 20, 2013 09:56 |  #23

I like to know why no one talks of T4i + STM glass, when it gives you a perfect AUTOFOCUSING in video mode with STM lenses? that does not interfer with internal mic recording?
I do see some negative reviews (external link) but this is not coming from a person who has hand on video coverage for functions as is discussed here and I was believed this the most capable Canon ever built despite class in which it is offered, for video recording. Any comments based on experiment?

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

lahawtho
37 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #24

I don't use auto focus. I tell the camera what to focus on, which is the way it should be IMO.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2013 15:30 |  #25

Well I can see why the attraction to the GH2/3 bodies. But as you are a wedding "Photographer" I would vote for the 7D. Not only does it take great video, but it is also a killer still camera. Better than the 60D, T4i and I would bet the GH2/3 as well. Faster frame rate, focusing system, weather resistant...

I just can't see investing in a completely different system with a smaller sensor. Maybe the price for a 7D isn't in line with with what you want, but it's not that far off for a good used or refurb unit.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 20, 2013 23:46 |  #26

ChasWG wrote in post #15512689 (external link)
Well I can see why the attraction to the GH2/3 bodies. But as you are a wedding "Photographer" I would vote for the 7D. Not only does it take great video, but it is also a killer still camera. Better than the 60D, T4i and I would bet the GH2/3 as well. Faster frame rate, focusing system, weather resistant...

I just can't see investing in a completely different system with a smaller sensor. Maybe the price for a 7D isn't in line with with what you want, but it's not that far off for a good used or refurb unit.

Is this post referencing me?

I am not a wedding photographer. I only do wedding videos. My wife does some still photography, but the camera I will be purchasing will be used for video work almost all the time.

I do recognize the 7D is a superior stills camera in almost every aspect. This, however, means little to me.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 23, 2013 02:27 |  #27

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #15514240 (external link)
Is this post referencing me?

I am not a wedding photographer. I only do wedding videos. My wife does some still photography, but the camera I will be purchasing will be used for video work almost all the time.

I do recognize the 7D is a superior stills camera in almost every aspect. This, however, means little to me.

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were still photog as well as a video shooter. If that's the case then the GH2 or 3 is for you! Good luck!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

dmonk
73 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 25, 2013 00:50 |  #28

I have a T3i/600d and one killer app feature is the 3x/10x zoom. It just crops a part of the sensor so you don't lose that much quality if any at all. I don't know why Canon decided to remove it for the T4i.

And as a plus, it even gets rid of moire!!

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=AixwZupTyeA (external link)

Canon Kiss X5

sponsored links

4,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
What crop sensor camera for video?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.