Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Jan 2013 (Friday) 07:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Simple Headshots - No Printing - Cost?

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 18, 2013 15:57 |  #16

my initial email to the client had a list of questions of their expectations...such as lighting, effects, location, editing, etc...so im just waiting for a reply and ill go from there

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 19, 2013 13:06 |  #17

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #15504153 (external link)
im interested in what i should charge to do some simple head shots for a group of people in my area...they posted an ad on CL asking for simple head shots and no print outs...
thanks POTN

Let me ask you this: why would they want print outs? It's probably for business so they need to be able to use them in their own documents where a print won't do any good. Make the same amount of profit as if you'd be selling prints. You are selling the end product regardless of what medium that is in. Just because it a digital file does not make it any less valuable!

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2013 14:38 |  #18

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #15508724 (external link)
Let me ask you this: why would they want print outs? It's probably for business so they need to be able to use them in their own documents where a print won't do any good. Make the same amount of profit as if you'd be selling prints. You are selling the end product regardless of what medium that is in. Just because it a digital file does not make it any less valuable!

i was simply stating the scenario...not putting a value on anything...HappySnappe​r90, seems to me youre the guy that goes around flaming peoples posts for no apparent reason...but i guess theres that type of person on every online forum, no matter the subject matter

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2013 13:18 |  #19

I don't think that was intended to be inflammatory. The underlying point is sound.

Many clients think that digital files should be cheaper, because they're not receiving a physical product. They see that XXX Photographic Services charges $30 for an 8x10, they don't need prints, so they expect to pay $30 less per person.

However, we (the photographer) invest approximately the same amount of time and skill into producing a file containing a digital image as we do into producing a hard print, so the value should be at least the same. If anything, in this context the digital file is worth more since the recipient will be using it in a variety of different ways, whereas if they receive a print they're a bit more limited in how they can use it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple Headshots - No Printing - Cost?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.